• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

samgurl775

Cerberus Officer
LONG LIVE THE EMPIRE!

wakka

damn nature you scary
stormcloaks for the same reason as moulinrouge said always prefer joining the underdogs :D ( they feel like the underdogs to me anyways )

Medea

The Shadow Queen
I joined the Stormcloaks cuz my character is a Nord and it just wouldn't feel right to betray my people.

J

Jeremius

i can never really decide. so, i decide to decide based on what side would be better for the character's story.
for a member of the thieves guild i might side with the empire based on the fact that empire would be good for the guild (imagine the immunity that can be granted by having the emperor/imperial general dude in your pocket). not sure for a warrior type, i do not know right now.

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
for a member of the thieves guild i might side with the empire based on the fact that empire would be good for the guild (imagine the immunity that can be granted by having the emperor/imperial general dude in your pocket). not sure for a warrior type, i do not know right now.

I never actually thought of it that way, but a Thieves Guild character would benefit greatly from siding with the Legion because doing so would put Maven Black-Briar, otherwise known as a significant benefactor of the Guild, in power. (Although you could just as easily accomplish that by giving Riften to the Imperials in Season Unending.)

For a heavily DB character, it probably makes most sense if you side with the Stormcloaks but it makes most sense if you do so after completing the questline.

I personally tend to side Stormcloak, but often try to help out Windhelm's non-Nords as if to try to "improve their image" or something like that. But I certainly don't mind those who take Windhelm for the Imperials; I think Brunwulf makes an excellent jarl of the city.

Also, I'd recommend, at least once, defecting (you give the Jagged Crown to the side that isn't the one you originally joined). It's fun and there's unique dialogue for the occasion!

Not spoiler heavy, but there are a few; those who wanna keep the mystery, refrain from reading ;)

The Empire, because of the uncanny resemblance to the Romans. I always had and always will have unwavering respect for the Roman Empire or the Republic, but aside from that, no matter how I analyze it, the Stormcloaks just strike me as xenophobic, short sighted idiots. It's not even a choice of bad and worse.

Ulfric did in fact murder the High King and escaped afterwards like a whimp. According to northern tradition, if he indeed was acting out of honor, he should have resorted to martial might in the face of his opponent, and also respect the way of the voice, by not using it for personal ego or gain. Branded him a cowardly thug right there.

I mean, the Empire just barely staggered away from a very costly war with the Aldmeri Dominion. We nearly got wiped out, and a reprieve was badly needed to regain strength for the impeding Aldmeri treachery, when they decide to mobilize and finish off the bleeding Empire and its provinces, to declare Elven supremacy.

The cost of banning the worship of Talos/Tiber Septim as a God, as opposed to a brilliant Emperor and strategist is a small price to pay, in the face of complete destruction. How could Ulrfic and his Stormcloaks even hope to withstand the Elves alone, when The Empire, in a joint effort with a united Skyrim, Redguard and other provinces failed? It's numbers, strategy, and a strategic choke hold on the Empire, should the elves gain control of Skyrim. A perfect flank of Cyrodil.

ysgramor always battled the elves, and as a Nord companion, I see no reason to cease that fight, given the aspirations of elves in the active service of the Dominion.

And my visit to Windhelm just sealed my decision. If the way Ulfric runs his city is a preview of his rule as High King, then I'll do anything in my power to see him executed. Not to mention the unpleasant tension in Windhelm, due to the racism and hate exhibited by the short sighted Nords there, even though I play a Nord myself.

But that's just my opinion...maybe watching this thread, I see a good perspective to give me a reason for a Stormcloak playthrough ;)

Stereofanic

Hero of the defenceless, Champion of mankind
Empire as my character and fravorite race are the Redguards (the only race to defeat the Aldmeri)

Harperlarp

I wanted to join the empirical legion in oblivion, in Skyrim they gave me the opportunity and I grabbed it with both hands. Damn near everyone else was worried about the attempted execution for some reason lol.

Harperlarp

And for all you empire lovers out there think of this, as long as the Nord race lives there will always be rebellion, always people who will work to slaughter your elven masters who invaded even Valenwood and slaughtered innocents to get their ways. Bully's never win.

1. Without the empire the Aldmeri dominion would own Skyrim.
2. Actually bullys win quite a lot.

Stereofanic

Hero of the defenceless, Champion of mankind
I wanted to join the empirical legion in oblivion, in Skyrim they gave me the opportunity and I grabbed it with both hands. Damn near everyone else was worried about the attempted execution for some reason lol.

You mean imperial.

After roaming around and seeing things for what they are, I think the Aldmeri Dominion could care less about the meager brawlers that call themselves the resistance. If the Dominion resumed their attack in the immediate future, the resistance would fail to hold out for longer than 2 standard weeks given their numbers and capabilities.

The Empire could hold out a little longer, but it's clearly a loosing battle at this point, especially with two fronts. After my brief chat with Ulfric, I see him completely stupid enough to flank the Imperials during the Aldmeri incursion, in an attempt to seize the throne.

The only thing that truly does hold the Dominion at bay is the fragile armistice that the Empire managed to build. For the moment, the elves see us as docile, non-combatant and obedient, with a civil war preventing us from any kind of growth in forces. Which is an outstanding advantage, given their assuredness of the fact.

I think, if the Empire won the war on the civil war front, it will have gained a powerful ally in thousands of true sons of Skyrim, in a renewed, powerful province free of strife and the logistic cost of internal bickering.

And with the leadership of a tested general, the Dominion, with their countless undermanned and conceited garrisons within the borders of Skyrim, could be dealt a devastating blow in one surprise attack that could shape the rest of the war...But patience and discretion are paramount.

All this big willie shiz about freedom immediately and outrage over something blown completely out of proportion is a surefire means to a very short, pointless and bloody battle...This kind of warfare just shows the short sightedness of Ulric once more.

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
But their numbers and capabilities are scaled down for the game's purposes, not to mention that Ulfric is himself a tested general. Ulfric isn't really sending a mere nine or ten Stormcloaks to take Whiterun!

We have no idea how strong the Aldmeri Dominion actually is militarily, nor do we have any idea whether Titus Mede actually had to surrender in order to save the Empire, which at this time included Hammerfell, from total invasion, or if he simply thought he did because he wasn't willing to accept a greater cost when some of the subsidiaries of the Empire (e.g. Hammerfell) might have.

Not to mention that the Thalmor themselves state, in their dossier, that NEITHER an Imperial victory NOR a Stormcloak victory in the civil war benefits them. There is no reason for them to lie in this dossier. They want a stalemate, not a resolution for either side.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
For a heavily DB character, it probably makes most sense if you side with the Stormcloaks but it makes most sense if you do so after completing the questline.

I loved playing the Dark Brotherhood and Stormcloak quests together, and I think they complement each other so well. Defeat the Empire within Skyrim and then assassinate the Emperor himself as the piece de resistance... so perfect.

Anyway, aside from personal preference, I absolutely consider which side my character would take, and go with that, since I love the roleplaying aspect of this game. When I first played a Nord, I thought it made the most sense to join the Stormcloaks. I didn't think my Dunmer would want to join the Stormcloaks, for obvious reasons, but because he's in the Dark Brotherhood and will eventually kill the Emperor, it didn't seem right for him to join the Legion either, so he's staying neutral. My Bosmer was also neutral since historically, Bosmer are pacifists. Eventually I'll play an Imperial who joins the Legion because A. he's an Imperial, hello, B. I'll be playing him as lawful good, and C. I haven't played the Legion quests yet and I want to.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
I loved playing the Dark Brotherhood and Stormcloak quests together, and I think they complement each other so well. Defeat the Empire within Skyrim and then assassinate the Emperor himself as the piece de resistance... so perfect.

Anyway, aside from personal preference, I absolutely consider which side my character would take, and go with that, since I love the roleplaying aspect of this game. When I first played a Nord, I thought it made the most sense to join the Stormcloaks. I didn't think my Dunmer would want to join the Stormcloaks, for obvious reasons, but because he's in the Dark Brotherhood and will eventually kill the Emperor, it didn't seem right for him to join the Legion either, so he's staying neutral. My Bosmer was also neutral since historically, Bosmer are pacifists. Eventually I'll play an Imperial who joins the Legion because A. he's an Imperial, hello, B. I'll be playing him as lawful good, and C. I haven't played the Legion quests yet and I want to.

The Dark Brotherhood questline and the Stormcloak questline complimenting each other is all in your head. A character strictly abiding by the Tenets of the Brotherhood would be neutral on the aspects of the Civil War. An Assassin of the Dark Brotherhood is merely that, an Assassin. Obey the Night Mother, kill the target, get the pay.

And why does it make the most sense to join the Stormcloaks if you are a Nord? From my understanding, the Empire will accept any race into their ranks. So, I venture to guess a lot of Nords are with the Empire. Hadvar and Rikke anyone?

And if I'm an Imperial I have to be among the ranks of the Empire? Please. Just because it makes the most logical sense, doesn't mean that's what it has to be. The point of this game is to be creative. Think outside the box so to speak. Besides the harassment from Galmar for not being a Nord, the Stormcloaks are more than willing to accept you. Sure, you can argue that's just game mechanics. But, Ulfric is fully aware that you are the Dragonborn. Which I'm sure he'll put aside whatever race you happen to be so he can have the Dovahkiin among his ranks.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
The Dark Brotherhood questline and the Stormcloak questline complimenting each other is all in your head.

The Stormcloaks hate the Empire, and the Dark Brotherhood assassinates the Emperor... there's an obvious connection there.

And if I'm an Imperial I have to be among the ranks of the Empire? Please. Just because it makes the most logical sense, doesn't mean that's what it has to be.

I didn't say that. I said I was choosing to have my Imperial character join the Legion because I thought it made sense for my game. Everyone else can do whatever they please with their own games, doesn't make one whit of a difference to me.

Besides the harassment from Galmar for not being a Nord, the Stormcloaks are more than willing to accept you.

Harassment? You mean, when Galmar asks, "Why does a ________ want to join the rebellion?" And then, when you inquire if they only accept Nords, he replies, "You misunderstand me; I'm only curious as to your motives." Oh yeah, total harassment.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts