Starting a new game - Need help to pick a race

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Aniratak

I've always been a Nord. Don't know why, I think it's been an easy pick because the game is set in the north. But this time I really want to try something different. I want to go for bows this time. Is there any spesific race that goes well with that? Or anyone have a favourite race they want to recommend? Just want to play it different this time.. So.. I'm not an expert at this. Any one got a tip?

Star Gazer

Wood elves start with great archery, and they're pretty good for RPing. A wood elf archer was my first playthrough, and I think it was pretty fun.

KattSand

Premium Member
Hmh I recognize that problem, 99% of my characters always ends up as a nord, I suppose I identify myself with that race more than the others since you could say I'm kind of a nord irl haha :D But yeah, as it's already been said, wood elf is the way to go if you wanna try another race and get into archery. Of course, the race doesn't really matter that much when it comes to skills since every race can me molded into pretty much whatever you want :)

Aniratak

I will go for Wood Elf then! Thanks for the tips! By the way, is the new level of difficulty avalible yet? Or when does it come out?

Aniratak

Hmh I recognize that problem, 99% of my characters always ends up as a nord, I suppose I identify myself with that race more than the others since you could say I'm kind of a nord irl haha :D But yeah, as it's already been said, wood elf is the way to go if you wanna try another race and get into archery. Of course, the race doesn't really matter that much when it comes to skills since every race can me molded into pretty much whatever you want :)

Hey, your name is actually almost the same as mine. In real life that is. Just as long as you don't say it in English. I'm Norwegian by the way. So I also identify my self with the nordic race I suppose. Or at least the landscape remind me of scandinavia somehow

KattSand

Premium Member
Hey, your name is actually almost the same as mine. In real life that is. Just as long as you don't say it in English. I'm Norwegian by the way. So I also identify my self with the nordic race I suppose. Or at least the landscape remind me of scandinavia somehow
Ah so we're neighbors then, there seems to be a lot of Scandinavians on this forum :D The landscapes do resemble Scandinavia, I feel right at home when I'm just wandering around in the fields of Skyrim, esp the open fields around Whiterun since they look a lot like the open fields in the northern parts of Sweden during the fall.

Therin

Legendary mode is available for the PC (I don't know about the consoles); that's what I'm playing with right now. Since you have to hit the enemies more, I've found that I'm actually leveling quicker than on easier modes.

Yeah, lore-wise the Bosmer are the best archers, with Khajiit coming in at a close second, but that's only to start out with. A Bosmer with a 100 skill in archery does the same damage as an Imperial with a 100 skill in archery, so you should play what you want.

I almost always play as a Breton, although I do have a Dunmer assassin I'm playing right now.

Aniratak

Legendary mode is available for the PC (I don't know about the consoles); that's what I'm playing with right now. Since you have to hit the enemies more, I've found that I'm actually leveling quicker than on easier modes.

Yeah, lore-wise the Bosmer are the best archers, with Khajiit coming in at a close second, but that's only to start out with. A Bosmer with a 100 skill in archery does the same damage as an Imperial with a 100 skill in archery, so you should play what you want.

I almost always play as a Breton, although I do have a Dunmer assassin I'm playing right now.

Then that's dissapointing.. I was looking forward to the Legendary mode. I play on Xbox though.. So won't be avalible for a while I suppose. Just started the game now. Riding in the caravan with Rolof and Ulfric Stormcloak. Always gives me goosebumps =)

Therin

Why disappointing? Its still more difficult because enemies hit harder and are harder to kill (especially as an archer since you'll not be able to drop a bandit before it closes in on you unless you're good at sneaking or jumping around on rocks). But, since you get reset your abilities to level them up again, I think the faster leveling speed balances it out a bit.

(P.S. I visited Sweden a few years ago. Stockholm was a very clean and friendly place. (I appreciated that you all know English fluently.) No offense, though, but it was lacking a bit in the tourist-y department. My favorite was the ship museum; that was pretty cool.)

Aniratak

I might have misunderstood what you were saying. I thought it was that you level up faster so that it didn't matter that the enemies were harder to kill. But looking forward for the upgrade anyway. Where are you from by the way? Did you visit any other Scandinavian cities?

Therin

Well, my archery is still in the 20s, but I haven't made it to Whiterun, yet, either. Just cleared out Embershard Mine and took Faendal to help me clear out Bleak Falls Barrow. But I think archery leveled up slowly before, so I like the new quickness.

I am from the US, but I was stationed in Germany for two years, so I did some European travelling while I was there. Stockholm was the only Scandanavian city I visited, unfortunately. I took a weekend and went with a coworker of mine who is hispanic, but loves tall, blonde women, so he wanted to go there for his birthday. He did not find the wife he was looking for, though. ;) I was happy, though, because I was finally able to find the English translation of a book I had been looking for (Let the Right One In). The book was much better than the Swedish or English movies, I thought.

Aniratak

Well, my archery is still in the 20s, but I haven't made it to Whiterun, yet, either. Just cleared out Embershard Mine and took Faendal to help me clear out Bleak Falls Barrow. But I think archery leveled up slowly before, so I like the new quickness.

I am from the US, but I was stationed in Germany for two years, so I did some European travelling while I was there. Stockholm was the only Scandanavian city I visited, unfortunately. I took a weekend and went with a coworker of mine who is hispanic, but loves tall, blonde women, so he wanted to go there for his birthday. He did not find the wife he was looking for, though. ;) I was happy, though, because I was finally able to find the English translation of a book I had been looking for (Let the Right One In). The book was much better than the Swedish or English movies, I thought.

Is there an English movie as well? I only saw the Swedish one. It was a very creepy movie though. Haven't read the book.

Too bad he didn't find his wife haha. But hope your stay was ok either way!

Therin

Yep, there's an American movie (which is in English, although I guess I shouldn't have called in an English movie since it wasn't made in England), but you're not missing anything.

The interesting part of the book, which didn't make it into either of the movies was (highlight the below section to show spoilers):

The "girl" vampire turned out to be a castrated (and then some, as both testicles and penis had been removed pre-turning vampire) boy, which added the element of sexual confusion on top of adolescent confusion and vampiric confusion. A pretty good twist, in my opinion.

All in all, I had an enjoyable time in Sweden.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts