• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Purdekat

Have to say I hate this game.........you can flame all you wish but am entitled to my opinion.

The UI is just beyond awful, had thought it would have been more like Oblivion instead of a badly rehashed console version, not everyone has or wants X box controllers. The game crashes every time I enter or try to a new area........good for getting used to saving every couple of minutes I guess.

Anyway will be the last Bethesda product I buy, and at least the disc makes a rather nice coaster.

UberKiwi

Well.. i love it and played all the prevous ES games.. but life always gives everyone an opinion

Sorry you didn't like it.. maybe they will revisit some of the "issues" you have with the game.... maybe they will get it to a more agreeable spot in a few months for you .. Peace out

Perma

I have to agree with Purdekat. I was really looking forward to this game. The game menus were just fine in Oblivion so why go and fix something that's not broken? The questing is HORRIBLE compared to oblivion. You ought to be ashamed of yourselves Bethesda. I played Oblivion for the longest time, made many characters but Skyrim is just BAD, Horrible. Skyrim has a very bad in game map and the quest area of the UI is just as bad. You had better have photographic memory or a notepad to keep up with what you need to do especially if you don't play for a couple of days. Another great company makes a HORRIBLE game, what's new.

vincent

SC2: DudeMan 346
I disagree. I play on the xbox and have only had the game freeze once. If your computer isn't better than an xbox then it's time to get an upgrade.

Everyone's absolutely entitled to their opinion, and it's a drag that the game has winded up being nothing but wasted time and a shiny coaster for you. :sadface: Having high expectations crash and burn truly sucks.

However, I'm actually really enjoying the UI - I didn't play Oblivion that much (about 30 minutes, to be precise), but it seems much easier than I recall to get to the things I need (inventory and the map usually). And while I've experienced a few minor bugs, none of them have rendered the game unplayable or been so distracting that I've not been able to look past them. My Xbox hasn't frozen once (knock on wood), so maybe I've been lucky, but my time with the game has been remarkably well spent and I'm looking forward to many, many more hours.

I've been a fan since Morrowind and I have to say Skyrim is an overall huge improvement. I see some of you aren't a fan of change but this is a growing and changing industry and you got to keep with the times or get left behind. As far crashing, if your really having that many issues then you need to look at your computer not the game. I know many friends who play it on the computer and don't have any issues with crashing or freezing. Many people think the game is freezing when they access the menu but if you look in the top left corner the game is actually auto saving.. Give it a second, and I love the UI. The ONLY thing I'm disappointed about is not being able to get a complete all view close up of my character and defense, health, stamina, ect all on one page.

thecelticlatino

Well I'm sorry to hear you guys feel this way, but as another poster has said you guys are certainly entitled to your opinion. Skyrim of course is not a perfect game and like any other game I may like or love, I realize some others may hate the game. Many loved Morrowind and I hated it...barely played past the first few main quests then uninstalled it. I feel the same towards the likes of Fallout 1-3 despite the accolades it's gotten. Yet I've loved games like Dragon Age 2, Fable 3 and Alpha Protocol (bugs and all). It's all opinion.

I admit the game freezing/crashing is very annoying (I'm a console player and it's happened more than once) and the UI takes getting used to.

Personally I feel Skyrim is the best Elder Scrolls game yet. Combat feels so much more exciting instead of static (horror memories of Morrowind...) and the world feels so alive to me. Plus this is the first Besthesda game that doesn't have ugly character creation in my opinion. :-)

Omni

I liked the organization of the menu systems and my XBOX version (love the couch!) is very stable - I was actually surprised since this is Bethesda's inaugeral game engine. Very impressed with the graphics and overall system.

But there were 3 things I didn't like, felt like they poured bleach on parts of the UI:

1. I didn't like the fact they removed the spell effect display from the main UI window, unless I'm missing it somehow. I do see it updating for shouts but not spells. For example, when I cast a conjuration spell, I can't tell how long I have until the spell is over. In Oblivion, it would appear in the top right, and it would display all your spell effects if you had multiple spells or effects going at once (like if I was hit with a drain strength spell, I knew to cast a dispel magic spell). That was nice since I could pace my spell usage to prepare to summon another critter, or how long my oakflesh would last. I understand their is a glow around your body for Oakflesh and can hear the summoned creature disappear, but when you are in the thick of battle and looking at a 2D TV monitor, it's nice to have those visual aids since you don't have the same benefits as if you were really there, which pulling those systems is trying to achieve. I understand trying to push realism, but I'm NOT THERE. I'm using a controller and a 2D screen that pulls in only about 1/5 of the screen at best. I need the visual aids!

2. Also, in Oblivion, I liked that I could go into a quest and see what the dialogue was around it. Sometimes I would forget what was said, then I could go back and get some clues or hints about what needed to be done or just understand the quest better. In the new system, it just says, "Retrieve the Staff". Since I sometimes bounce around between quests as their are hundreds, it was nice to have that thread to come back to. For the most part it's not that big of a deal, and I can consult the strategy guide, but wish they maintained some of the background like before, made it more meaningful.

3. Not a big fan of the perk system. Because of how this particular perk system works (especially with 0/5, 1/5, etc and the semi-infinite leveling system) they had to strip out everything and then some from the system to start out so you would have enough to last. You get ONE perk point each level up to get what I consider to be the basics back into your game. According to their strategy guide there is no limit to the level you can acheive, so I think they were hoping to pace themselves up to level 100 with enough perks to last that long. To me that means a TON of nickle and diming this important system. Also because of the perk system, they had to trash their extensive spell list and spell creation (understanably), but loved that system much, MUCH better. The harp on the fact that they want you to have a custom experience (ie. no XP points, all based on your skills that you use during the game), but then they strip out the best custom experience in my opinion which was the creative spells making (half of the combat system).

Here comes PR boy...

I liked the organization of the menu systems and my XBOX version (love the couch!) is very stable - I was actually surprised since this is Bethesda's inaugeral game engine. Very impressed with the graphics and overall system.

But there were 3 things I didn't like, felt like they poured bleach on parts of the UI:

1. I didn't like the fact they removed the spell effect display from the main UI window, unless I'm missing it somehow. I do see it updating for shouts but not spells. For example, when I cast a conjuration spell, I can't tell how long I have until the spell is over. In Oblivion, it would appear in the top right, and it would display all your spell effects if you had multiple spells or effects going at once (like if I was hit with a drain strength spell, I knew to cast a dispel magic spell). That was nice since I could pace my spell usage to prepare to summon another critter, or how long my oakflesh would last. I understand their is a glow around your body for Oakflesh and can hear the summoned creature disappear, but when you are in the thick of battle and looking at a 2D TV monitor, it's nice to have those visual aids since you don't have the same benefits as if you were really there, which pulling those systems is trying to achieve. I understand trying to push realism, but I'm NOT THERE. I'm using a controller and a 2D screen that pulls in only about 1/5 of the screen at best. I need the visual aids!

2. Also, in Oblivion, I liked that I could go into a quest and see what the dialogue was around it. Sometimes I would forget what was said, then I could go back and get some clues or hints about what needed to be done or just understand the quest better. In the new system, it just says, "Retrieve the Staff". Since I sometimes bounce around between quests as their are hundreds, it was nice to have that thread to come back to. For the most part it's not that big of a deal, and I can consult the strategy guide, but wish they maintained some of the background like before, made it more meaningful.

3. Not a big fan of the perk system. Because of how this particular perk system works (especially with 0/5, 1/5, etc and the semi-infinite leveling system) they had to strip out everything and then some from the system to start out so you would have enough to last. You get ONE perk point each level up to get what I consider to be the basics back into your game. According to their strategy guide there is no limit to the level you can acheive, so I think they were hoping to pace themselves up to level 100 with enough perks to last that long. To me that means a TON of nickle and diming this important system. Also because of the perk system, they had to trash their extensive spell list and spell creation (understanably), but loved that system much, MUCH better. The harp on the fact that they want you to have a custom experience (ie. no XP points, all based on your skills that you use during the game), but then they strip out the best custom experience in my opinion which was the creative spells making (half of the combat system).

Here comes PR boy...

Excuse ur attitude, and calling me a boy. Everyone's entitled to they're opinions, even you and I've never said otherwise. All I've done is gave my opinion.

I'd have to agree the UI is a little odd. I'd also have to agree with Omni's first point and the lack of spell crafting.

I'm curious though, what specifically is people's problem with the Skyrim map?

Kai

The game is awesome. It is a major improvement over Oblivion and its only crashed once. With a patch this game will be perfect. The map is great, the menu is great. The questing is a blast.

This game is just ridiculously good.

BlackRat

I find the UI easier to use than Oblivions, which I found to be cumbersome, slow and awkward.
The map is awesome. I dont understand the issue with it either. It's Morrowind's map with better graphics.

Mindfux

i'm on console and have only had one occasion of slow framerate, one issue of freezing (dark brotherhood mission where you have to 'embrace the nightmother' by getting into her coffin), and have only seen 2 bugs (water not loading, so it looks like the lake/sea just ends, sort of like an infinity pool or whatever, and you can see everything under the water; and another time in the cellar in the inn @ winterhold where the back wall didn't load and it was just a turqoise box that you could fall through, but would place you back into the room once you were done falling)

honestly, i love it...i think it's quite a step up from oblivion

Auxilium

In my opinion..
For some odd reason, I just couldn't play Oblivion. I tried to get into it more then twice and just couldn't do it. I bought Skyrim and was thinking that I may end up not playing this game either for some reason, but in actuality it's been the complete opposite. I absolutely love this game.

I've been playing it for 11 hours so far and I'm Lvl 11 as well. I love just going around exploring and have absolutely no issues with the UI or any of the menus. I'm playing on the 360 and have 0 issues with freezes or a drop in framerate. I think the UI/HUD and Menu's keep the screen less cluttered and leave more to be seen on the screen in terms of the world itself. The map of the game is amazing as well, I don't find it difficult to read or anything. I think it's pretty damn near perfect.

Loving the game. Nothing negative about it on my part.

Jim1973

No reason to flame. Plenty of games I don't like which others seem to love and vice versa. Personally I thought anything prior to oblivion was a joke and oblivion just was not interesting enough for me to play more then a day or so. Skyrim, fixing the lacking 3rd person playability of oblivion and the amazing graphics has been nothing but enjoyable. People complain about porting games but that usually just means I have to get use to the interface and although I admit getting use to using the "TAB" button is still a challenge but nothing that breaks this exciting game.

Tusck

My only real problem with the game is the UI but that will be fixed soon, I hope. But really, that does not take away from the excellent game play and the shear fun of the game, which in my opinion is the most important part of the game. I'd rather struggle a but to get to huge amounts of fun, then to have a smooth experience that is total plops, which is a lot of games.

tha420Moose

bLaze up. play skYrim
i agree that the UI isnt as extensive as it was in oblivion. with that said i think its layout is easy and visually appealing.

edit- im on console and the game hasnt crashed/frozen once.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts