So whats the American economy really like?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
Actually... I'm not quite sure! I think it's just a funny saying 'come to Adelaide, it's rad!' i.e. Radeliade. Which is funny as Adeliade is notably a little quite and some say boring.

Ryan 'Fitzy' Fitzgerald wore one in the Big Brother house a fair bit!

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
Actually... I'm not quite sure! I think it's just a funny saying 'come to Adelaide, it's rad!' i.e. Radeliade. Which is funny as Adeliade is notably a little quite and some say boring.

Ryan 'Fitzy' Fitzgerald wore one in the Big Brother house a fair bit!

If that's your opinion of it, but I don't think it boring, it just has a more 'laid-back' attitude, if you will, compared to Melbourne or Sydney.

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
Anywayyyyy... Back OT?

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
While I would love to visit America, I'm kind of glad I don't live there. Some of your economic policies and strategies just seem strange. It seems like your governments way of digging itself out of debt is to punish the middle class. Or at least give the upper class the means to exploit you for their advantage.

It's not about using the middle class to get out of debt. It's to allow the rich to become richer. Anyone who knows anything about basic economics knows a society can not survive without a thriving middle class. When there is only the rich and the poor classes, the economical infrastructure will collapse.

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
It's not about using the middle class to get out of debt. It's to allow the rich to become richer. Anyone who knows anything about basic economics knows a society can not survive without a thriving middle class. When there is only the rich and the poor classes, the economical infrastructure will collapse.

Not in all countries. Just look at the UAE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oliverjames

The UK isn't much better, with youth unemployment having tipped over 1m people. 55,000 of which have been recognised as being at high risk of forever remaining NEET (not in education, employment or training). A 120£m support package to kickstart the apprenticeship industry has done little to ease that pain. Everywhere has problems.

Halkin

pzzzztt
agree with oliver, UK is in trouble also with unemployment on the rise again and again each month. i consider myself somewhat lucky to be in a job, even though its not one i like all that much (there is little else out there though).

i see people travelling lot of miles just to get basic jobs, some areas are downright awful for work at the moment.

well at least (i hope) it can only get better

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
It's not going to get better, only worse. The rich don't care about the future, thus if the world goes to plops, at least in the present time they have all the money. What kind of world is my daughter going to be living in? Or my grandchildren?

What bothers me the most, is just how oblivious most Americans are to this. Going about their daily lives, struggling to make ends meet, and just trudging through it.

Things need to change, and the U.S. Government are not going to invoke that change. Not when they are getting paid off by those mega corporations.

Grey Fox

I hear that. Canada is currently on the edge of a plops-storm as well, lots of unemployment, cost of living increases, 0% raises and the like. Our teachers were just LEGISLATED back to work while striking for improvements in our education system. Our current government is obsessed with union busting.

The real problem as I see it in Canada is that even though everyone wants to complain about how bad it is, we are lucky to get 50% eligible voter turn-out come election time. How messed is that!?!o_O

s0nicfreak

iplaygamesforaliving.com
Most Americans became accustomed to a high-cost life. Therefore they refuse to take lower paying jobs, seasonal jobs, etc. and chant that they can't survive with lower pay. It is completely possible to live happily on part-time minimum wage, or even with no money at all - it's just a lifestyle most Americans aren't willing to switch to.

As someone that has always lived a frugal lifestyle and not focused my life around money, I'm just the same even in this "horrible economy."

Again, not being rude. But its not often America's education system is talked about as a shining light within education circles. You have some truly astounding teachers in America, however. Its a horrible system. And the pay is even worse. If you want professional educators teaching your children in public schools, you simply have to pay them professional pay. There's no real way around it. Look at the Chinese and Finnish system (arguably the best public education systems on the planet right now). Both countries have education as their number 1 priority on each years budget. Teacher salaries are high, teacher professional development is high, they are not overworked, Schools are highly resourced through funding = happier and better educated children at school! the facts and figures don't lie!

I think a big part of the problem is that education is seen as something that is only done for money. You educate your kids so that they can make money, then the teachers, who spent a long time and a lot of money becoming educated, won't share their knowledge unless you pay them professional prices. So then you work so that you can afford to live in a better area (where supposedly the schools are better), and you have no time to educate your children yourself. Since one teacher can't effectively teach 30 children, and the whole school system (sit at a desk, pass tests, squash independent thinking and therefore intelligence) isn't conductive to real learning, your children don't get much knowledge. So then your kids grow up to hoard what knowledge they do have and/or to work constantly in an attempt to get their children more knowledge, and it's all just an endless cycle.

I educate my children myself using mostly free resources. i don't do it because I want money - no one pays me to do this - I do it because I want my children and all people of future generations as to be educated and intelligent. I want them to be able to share their knowledge with their children and others of later generations, and I hope they will not hoard their knowledge only giving it out in exchange for high amounts of money.

Thanks to the internet, we have the ability to share knowledge all across the world for free or nearly free, yet we refuse to use it, because that would mean that some people might have less money.

Jaer

I went to school to become a math teacher. Graduated near the top of my class in mathematics, and got my initial certification. I then went on to get my M. Ed. in math education. Almost 7 years of school. I then took an inner city job in New York State, where I went to school. NYS is considered one of the best states for education. However, due to the economy, I was laid off 2 years in a row, and wasn't called back after the 2nd time, as they didn't reinstate the positions they cut. Currently, the US is short on math teachers. Yet I don't have a job. I live a minimal lifestyle, only paying my car loan (basic used car), rent, normal bills, keep my heat at 60 F and no A/C, and pay my student loans, which are $400 a month. Also, my undergrad was free through scholarships, had to pay $40k for my M. Ed. Currently I am lucky to work a factory job, have lost my teaching license due to not teaching, as there were no districts hiring. I make just enough to pay my bills, which my entertainment is $50 a month. I don't drink, and spend less than $30 on food. Also, no extra money for retirement. Suffice to say, I have applied to over 600 jobs, and just now have my first interview. I think there is something wrong with our economy.

Halkin

pzzzztt
i didnt qualify for anything much, spent most of IT course playing quake on the college lan. still managed to pass somehow but ended up living in denmark for 2 years then germany for about 8 months followed by spain for a time, mainly got drunk and shagged a lot of women. came back to the UK with a bag on my shoulder and started work in a call centre, within the year got office managers job then onto sales director within three years.

bring on the fat wages, just goes to show education isnt everything.

but do i hate my job, of course i do, who doesnt

Tyer032392

Ironically, the American economy is very strong, even while it is weaker than it has been in a decade. Our gross domestic product (GDP) is over 130 trillion USD at the moment, and we can have the national debt of >14 trillion payed off in a year. The problem though stems from the fact that with China owning a good chunk of the American debt, it is economic suicide to pay it off, at the moment. If China did not have their stake, than we could have the debt payed off in a year. The taxes in the U.S are very cheap compared to what they have been in the past century, roughly around 14% compared to the near 80% during the two World Wars. The main problem with the economy though is as one person has said, businesses have taken the "most profit and least expense" ideas to far and are willing to shaft their employees. Add on top of the National Healthcare Act (Obamacare), and small businesses are releasing more employees while doubling the hours of those who are already working. They are also going to a part time system as to avoid giving out benefits as well.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts