• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Bazzingy

Hey Guys,

i had a problem with my sneaking archer and the bow-damage-multiplier.

I ran in the beautiful landscape of skyrim with my level 10 wood elf archer. I had killed a giant and one of this big, fat, hairy elefants. :)

After that I ran more and more....now...far away from me i detected an animal. One of the most agressive thinks in Skyrim....a deer.

I started sneaking. A look to my crosshair: --.-- told me that iam not visible. So I aimed for the deer and shot.....BAM hit.

No double damage, no message that i done double damage with my bow. Nothing...and the deer run away.

Why I did not do double damage, while i was in stealth? Why?
I need help please.

psyk0

No soul gem large enough.
I've had a similar problem. I think the reason is that with beasts, because they're not hostile from the outset, the game sometimes gets confused as to whether you're sneaking past it. (It's not actively 'searching' for you.) If your position is revealed to any other neutral creature before you line up for the sneak attack, you may be ineligible for a sneak even though your cursor says otherwise.

That's just conjecture though. It's never usually an issue for me because I don't do much hunting :)

Onyx

I have also found that the non-hostile animals like Deer,Rabbits, Foxes etc can detect and run away from you while sneaking without the "EyE" opening and the Detected warning showing up.

So could be that the deer had already detected you shortly before you shot it, thus not getting the bonus?

Again, just conjecture at this point.

At least you killed the epic beast!

Onyx

Yeah i actually think thats the point.

With an hard face-to-face fight.

The stuff of legends! Will be cheer about in Sovergarde for Eons!

Hail Sithis!

Pibbs

I don't think it's only with beasts though. I've found my bow attacks not adding the sneak multiplier before as well. I think the sneak multiplier is just buggy with bow attacks. Not much we can do about it though.

I've quicksaved, shot someone with a bow, no multiplier... then reloaded and shot from a different distance and gotten it.

bjb68

Outback Elf (Aussimer?)
Because wild/non-hostile animals (e.g. deer) don't attack or "notice" (have the ability to report crimes) you, they're awareness does not effect your hidden status.

Imagine that you're about to sneak-kill a human target in the woods. But you notice your cursor is an eye, therefore you aren't hidden and therefore will not complete the attack for fear of being reported for murder. But, the witness in question is a... wild deer. This is why your hidden status doesn't account for those types of animals; there is no reason for it to.

It is likely that the deer did in fact know you were there (with you having no visual indicator of knowing that), thus robbing you of your sneak bonus. Kill two deer, and drop their hides near that area to teach the buggar a lesson ;)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts