Smithing - making armor/perks?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Isbiten

Almost at 100 in smithing which means I will soon make a Dragon Armor (don't have material for Deadric yet).
What perks/skills do I need to maximize the stats on the armor?
Do I only need the affected perk?

ShadowGambit

Welcome to the forum.

You don't need to "max" you dragon armor. You just need it to reach 567 armor rating. Everything above that armor rating is not taking into account when calculating the physical damage received.

Are you going heavy or light armor? My guess is that you are going heavy because you are talking of Daedric. Depending if you have a High alchemy or not, to make high level +Fortify smithing potion, you will need Juggernaut 1/5 or 3/5 with heavy armor skill at 100.

After upgrading your armor to legendary using smithing potion, with the shield you should be over the 567 armor rating cap.

Isbiten

Welcome to the forum.

You don't need to "max" you dragon armor. You just need it to reach 567 armor rating. Everything above that armor rating is not taking into account when calculating the physical damage received.

Are you going heavy or light armor? My guess is that you are going heavy because you are talking of Daedric. Depending if you have a High alchemy or not, to make high level +Fortify smithing potion, you will need Juggernaut 1/5 or 3/5 with heavy armor skill at 100.

After upgrading your armor to legendary using smithing potion, with the shield you should be over the 567 armor rating cap.

Yeah, I just realised that the armor cap makes it so that you don´t really need to maximize.

Will it be enough with 100 smithing to reach 567 armor with only 1/5 juggernaut with Dragon + Shield without using potions?

ShadowGambit

You will need smithing potion +50%, the one that you can find in-game, and Juggernaut 5/5 to reach the cap.

That is IF you don't have enchanted item with +Fortify Smithing

Elvus

Technically you do not even have to get the Daedric smithing perk to have the best protection the game can give you. I'm probably going to stick with Dwarven armor for my play-through with my new character,I might take the perks to get steel plate armor but I'm going to think about that for a while.
Anyway if you utilize your perks and potions efficiently you can even max out with just steel armor if you use heavy armor,or Elven with the light armor tree(I haven't gotten far enough to confirm this myself,but a well known youtuber went very in-depth about this. I'll give you the link to the video I watched)

Isbiten

Ok!
But lets say, that I right now with 90 in Smithing makes a full set of Deadric Armor.
How bad will it be?
Will it be inferior even if I upgrade later?

Elvus

Absolutely not man. If you make a set now and upgrade it now it wont be inferior. Once you make a set you can upgrade it over and over again as your Smithing skill gets higher.

Isbiten

Absolutely not man. If you make a set now and upgrade it now it wont be inferior. Once you make a set you can upgrade it over and over again as your Smithing skill gets higher.

Ok!
So to clarify.
It doesn´t matter what Smithing level I made it originally?
I can ALWAYS upgrade it when getting better potions/enchanting?

Elvus

It allows you to make steel plate armor which is a heavy armor as well as scaled armor which is light. It won't let you make any new weapons though.

Anthony Smash

SMASHTACTICS (DUBBAGE/THRESHOLD DJ CREW)
don't forget to grab the notched pickaxe at the top of the throat of the world, its the only weapon that improves smithing, and it can be disenchanted then re-enchanted at a higher level on different weapons!

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
don't forget to grab the notched pickaxe at the top of the throat of the world, its the only weapon that improves smithing, and it can be disenchanted then re-enchanted at a higher level on different weapons!
Notwithstanding the description of the Notched Pickaxe, it doesn't actually give any Smithing skill bonus. You can see this in the CK because the Notched Pickaxe Enchantment only has the magic effect for the Shock Damage. The magic effect for the Smithing skill bonus was never included as part of the Enchantment, probably because you can't have different Delivery values for 2 magic effects under the same Enchantment, and skill bonus magic effects have a Delivery value of Self while damage bonus magic effects have a Delivery value of Contact.

Anthony Smash

ahhhh i see the conotridiction, good to know! would be nice to have at least one weapon that ACTUALLY improved smithing, like a hammer or something. thanks dude!

ShadowGambit

Also, my understanding is that the Notched pickaxe only helps you if you have a Smithing skill UNDER 100. If you are already at 100, then it has no effects. To be confirmed though

Streets

The Gentleman Owl
You can also do the quest "Unfathomable Depths" for the Ancient Knowledge reward. It doesn't work like the in-game description says it does either. Ancient Knowledge, according to the UESP: Skyrim talk: Powers - UESPWiki, provides a 15% boost when tempering weapons and armor, it is as if you are constantly wearing a piece of jewelry with a 15% Smithing enchant on it. It also says that every armor is affected by a 25% boost, instead of just Dwarven armor.

I have not personally tested this at all (perhaps I should), but if it is the case, you can use this reward to increase your armor rating without spending extra perks.

Anthony Smash

yeah, the notched pickaxe is pretty much only useful in leveling enchantment i guess, or like you said if your smithing is under 100

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
I have not personally tested this at all (perhaps I should), but if it is the case, you can use this reward to increase your armor rating without spending extra perks.
You linked to the Talk page but I can confirm that it is bugged and works exactly as described in the notes column to the power on the Article page (I'm the one who re-added and edited the notes for that entry :p).

I've reconfirmed it since patch 1.7 as well.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts