PS3 Small magic related question...

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Which perk tree should I begin to ascend along with the skills thereof?

• Other (please specify in a comment...)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I've created a Mage w/ the High Elf race, I put points into Conjuration (I only use the permanent thralls now), Destruction (Points only into Fire/Flame & Shock/Lightning related spells, no Ice/Frost) and Restoration (only went up to "Adept Restoration" because the rest are mainly AOE spells). I am also putting points into Enchanting so I can put Magic bonuses on Heavy Armour (which I will soon start putting points into as well).

My question is what else should I put points into...?

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
Alteration is a good choice for mages due to its Mage Armor and Magic Resistance perks. However if you plan to use armor, the Mage Armor perks are a waste since they don't work if you do.

I personally have not had much success with using Illusion spells such as Fury, Calm and their more powerful versions though I have seen others comment on their effectiveness. Ultimately it's up to you and your preferred playing style.

Hmm, thanks... Because I'll be stuck with a ton of left over points to be put into perks after I'm finished... Is Alchemy a good skill to be put into...?

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
...Because I'll be stuck with a ton of left over points to be put into perks after I'm finished...
Try to think about your perk allocation in terms of one that works as you level. Doing a perk build by only looking at where you will ultimately allocate 50-81 perk points is not a useful way to plan your build.

Alteration is a pretty pointless skill to develop if you're a battlemage since it primarily offers physical damage resistance from spells in lieu of armor.

Illusion is not good fit with a battlemage build because it works optimally with a different play style that is sometimes known as a crowd controller or puppet master. It combines with the Conjuration and Restoration schools of magic and uses a passive combat play style. Your summoned minions deal with some of the enemies while you calm the rest, direct them at each other with Fury spells or cause them to flee. Restoration comes into play because Illusion spells don't affect the undead until you get the Master of the Mind perk (which also means that Expert and Master Restoration perks are relevant to the build). If you choose to develop your Illusion skill and perk tree you should consider a completely different build (i.e. dump the Destruction and Heavy Armor build).

Alchemy is always useful so if you truly have the perks to spare in a leveling build then that investment makes more sense for a battlemage than Alteration or Illusion.

Try to think about your perk allocation in terms of one that works as you level. Doing a perk build by only looking at where you will ultimately allocate 50-81 perk points is not a useful way to plan your build.

Alteration is a pretty pointless skill to develop if you're a battlemage since it primarily offers physical damage resistance from spells in lieu of armor.

Illusion is not good fit with a battlemage build because it works optimally with a different play style that is sometimes known as a crowd controller or puppet master. It combines with the Conjuration and Restoration schools of magic and uses a passive combat play style. Your summoned minions deal with some of the enemies while you calm the rest, direct them at each other with Fury spells or cause them to flee. Restoration comes into play because Illusion spells don't affect the undead until you get the Master of the Mind perk (which also means that Expert and Master Restoration perks are relevant to the build). If you choose to develop your Illusion skill and perk tree you should consider a completely different build (i.e. dump the Destruction and Heavy Armor build).

Alchemy is always useful so if you truly have the perks to spare in a leveling build then that investment makes more sense for a battlemage than Alteration or Illusion.

Wow, thanks! It's a little late to dump any skills, I can only add on. I didn't really like the idea of Illusion skills anyway... I'm not making a Battlemage, it's just a normal Mage (mainly using Destruction, Restoration & Conjuration passively), but I might start using heavy armor(s). Am I perhaps better off leveling Alteration and using skills like Stoneflesh to act as a defensive element?

Dagmar

If you rely on heavy armor for physical damage resistance that would be a basic battlemage build. If you want to stick to a pure mage build you should forsake armor and rely on Alteration spells for physical damage resistance offered by the Flesh spells and also Restoration for the Ward spells.

I don't think I'll be using Heavy Armor; I don't think it's worth putting in the Skill/Perk Points into the Heavy Armor & Smithing skills. Currently, I am using the Arch-Mage Robes that you get from the "College of Winterhold" quest line... It offers 0 base protection. Is it the same for the rest of the Mage-based armors...?

Dagmar

Yes it's the same for all mage robes. Robes are not armor and as such they give no physical damage resistance to the wearer.

If robes aren't armor, does that mean the "Mage Armor" perk is in effect while wearing robes?

Mage Armor - Protection spells like Stoneflesh are 2x if not wearing armor (Requires 30 Skill)

Dagmar

Gloves and regular boots. You can purchase gloves and boots at Radiant Raiment in Solitude. They also have college robes if and when you decide to make a custom enchanted set of clothes.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts