Skyrim without fast travel, AT ALL, EVER!

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Jeff the DragonBorn

I have a question about using other characters. Does it start a NEW GAME or can the new characters take up on the existing quests / game? How does this work. Please do share.

Spellsword_Kale

Article Writer
It starts a completely new game. Just make sure you've manually saved on your last game, so autosaves don't write over it. And make sure not to save over it. (Also, leaving a save file of the character creation bit after the intro is a good idea.)

Sesamus

Just started my second character the other day and while I don't think I'll be doing "no fast travel ever" I'm gonna try and do it as little as possible. I think. Just for immersions sake, on this one character. Cool blog!

Thank you for reading me! I honestly believe it's a better game this way. When I am done with this I am gonna go Hardcore and do DEAD IS DEAD!

Spellsword_Kale

Article Writer
There was a word for that playstyle - death in game = end the character - that was bandied around when I played DDO (Dungeons & Dragons Online)... can't remember it for the life of me! I might try it someday but that's way to hardcore for me right now. xD

The Barefoot Nord

I need some dragon scale shoes.
I have to give props to this post, it helped me define some of my current playstyle restrictions.

I offer you a compromise, for those who want to try to not fast travel but can't stand the thought of walking to Riften from Markarth and back.

My self imposed rule is I can use the carriage service, but only to go from one city to one other city. If I use it and go say from Whiterun to Markarth then I wan to go to Riften, I am walking it. Example: Go to city A in a carriage, then walk to city B and you can take the carriage to City C.

Allows you to still feel immersed in the game, after all carriage is a legit way to travel, but keeps you from supplementing fast travel for carriage travel and defeating the purpose.

I have found walking from spot to spot to be as much fun as the missions, to be quite honest. Seen some crazy stuff and met NPC's I didn't even know existed.

Try it for one session and see what you think. : )

Zelek2

I started a new Stealth/Archer about a week ago. The only fast travel I have done so far is, when i become over weight. I will fast travel back unload and fast travel back. I will use the carriages when I'm traveling from riften to markarth. Other then that I will huff it the whole way. Kinda crazy being level 30 before I even started the Thieves or the darkbrotherhood guild stuff. I will say that I really enjoy running all over. I run into so many unexpected things on my journeys.

The Barefoot Nord

I need some dragon scale shoes.
I started a new Stealth/Archer about a week ago. The only fast travel I have done so far is, when i become over weight. I will fast travel back unload and fast travel back. I will use the carriages when I'm traveling from riften to markarth. Other then that I will huff it the whole way. Kinda crazy being level 30 before I even started the Thieves or the darkbrotherhood guild stuff. I will say that I really enjoy running all over. I run into so many unexpected things on my journeys.

You can't kill, what you can't find... This sums up why not to fast travel as much as possible. Good one Z!!

Zelek2

You can't kill, what you can't find... This sums up why not to fast travel as much as possible. Good one Z!!

I fast traveled with my first few characters I made. It was nice being able to complete quest so fast. But, now that I'm running all over. I realized how much of the game I missed.

I would recommend to any1 that has the time to run all over god and creation.

Thomas Liu

tyl089
I actually wish I don't have to fast travel so much but whenever i walk, i'm getting terrible lags and really bad fps issues now.

Necromis

not a gripe as I love this topic and reading it. However, sesamus may I make a suggest that you combine all of your links in the main original post if it allows you to still edit it, and delete all the extra posts. It dos make it rather long to read other posts and makes getting right to your most recent blog post easier in you do that. :D

Necromis

I'm not fast traveling currently. Started a second play thru of a warrior vs my main sneak. Anyhow the only issue I have had is the saber cats. I got hit by two and ugh that hurt. Just one was ok.

Sesamus

not a gripe as I love this topic and reading it. However, sesamus may I make a suggest that you combine all of your links in the main original post if it allows you to still edit it, and delete all the extra posts. It dos make it rather long to read other posts and makes getting right to your most recent blog post easier in you do that. :D

I am not sure how to do that!

Necromis

you would just hit the edit button in your first post, the original one, and then just paste the links below each other, and you could even put a little blurb next to each of them saying what they are about. example

link ... started my character today.....
link ... can't believe the dragon fight I just had......
etc....
then you would just hit the delete button on the duplicate posts. Hope this helps. :)

Sesamus

you would just hit the edit button in your first post, the original one, and then just paste the links below each other, and you could even put a little blurb next to each of them saying what they are about. example

link ... started my character today.....
link ... can't believe the dragon fight I just had......
etc....
then you would just hit the delete button on the duplicate posts. Hope this helps. :)
Nice one thanks for the help!

Necromis

Dude that looks AWESOME, nice clean up. Also for those people who are wanting you follow you makes it so much easier to find the latest link.

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
Avoiding fast travel when possible is great.. really helps you immerse yourself into the world. You also find interesting stuff on the way that you'd otherwise miss. Still, sometimes it can be tedious when you're on the verge of being overburdened and you need to unload your stuff to the nearest city's merchants as fast as possible.. those are the times when I use it. And also sometimes if I'm going from Riften to Markarth or Solitude (though I've made the trip back and forth manually quite a few times, too).

I try to avoid fast travel whenever possibly because for me it breaks the feeling of being immersed in a living, three-dimensional world. When every location becomes accessable by clicking a single button, the magic disappears.

Fife

I found a horse and it's owner was dead but when I took it I was "stealing" it then when I went into a city and came back it was gone!
I went to a Stormcloak camp and stole their horse. And it follows me wherever I fast travel. Strange.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts