Skyrim without fast travel, AT ALL, EVER!

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Jerk

Don't Hate The Player Hate The Game #TSK
I was trying to do that, but then i took an arrow to the knee. and then another one...

Seriously though, I started to get bored of walking so I fast traveled

...Kind of ironic that most RPGs up until a few years ago had teleportation as an important goal to reach. Hurray! You finally get to use teleportation stones, dang, where did I leave that other stone? activate those mysterious teleportation nexuses, No more fighting re-spawned Balverines on the way to a demon door, Link can get to the potion shop without walking for hours, etc. But in Elder Scrolls games you can "teleport" without teleporting from the very beginning and ppl find it cheap.

Bytebrain

...Kind of ironic that most RPGs up until a few years ago had teleportation as an important goal to reach. Hurray! You finally get to use teleportation stones, dang, where did I leave that other stone? activate those mysterious teleportation nexuses, No more fighting re-spawned Balverines on the way to a demon door, Link can get to the potion shop without walking for hours, etc. But in Elder Scrolls games you can "teleport" without teleporting from the very beginning and ppl find it cheap.

I don't think people find it "cheap" to fast travel, it's a good option to have, it's just a way to make the game more immersive for some people. You miss a good portion of the game if you constantly use fast travel.

I use it myself, from time to time, but most often, I travel on foot or by horse.

There's nothing wrong with the option to fast travel, but that's all it is, an option..,

Professor Skalvar

General of the Euphoric Gentleman's Club
So far, I have stopped fast traveling with my new character. It is the most thrilling experience I've had as my Breton is only focusing on Conjuration, Alteration, and Illusion for combat purposes.

BSE

For the most part, I dont fast travel either. Theres really only 2 times I do.

1) Going to High Hrothgar...screw that walk.

2) If I get to a dungeon and realize that both my follower and I are almost full carrying capacity, Ill fast travel home to drop stuff off and fast travel back.

Whoever said they ran into a drug dealer because of this method, I may have run into the same drug dealer.

Gurgeh

I can see the appeal of no fast travel, but don't have the time/patience just yet to go for it. Good luck to you. Your blog is fun to read.

In the original Fallout game and I think the Baldur's Gate series, fast travel was an option, but sometimes you'd encounter something bad on the way (5 super mutants with rocket launchers at level 5 -- yikes!). You also consumed items when you traveled, if I remember right (it's been awhile).

A similar "penalty" for fast travel in Skyrim would be fun. Random encounters always spice things up for me.

Professor Skalvar

General of the Euphoric Gentleman's Club
I can see the appeal of no fast travel, but don't have the time/patience just yet to go for it. Good luck to you. Your blog is fun to read.

In the original Fallout game and I think the Baldur's Gate series, fast travel was an option, but sometimes you'd encounter something bad on the way (5 super mutants with rocket launchers at level 5 -- yikes!). You also consumed items when you traveled, if I remember right (it's been awhile).

A similar "penalty" for fast travel in Skyrim would be fun. Random encounters always spice things up for me.
When I completed the Dragon Rising quest and fast traveled to Dawnstar, Solitude, and Whiterun, there sometimes would be a dragon flying over. Needless to say, one of them killed off Belethor and Adrianne Avenicci because they thought they dragon slayers. Now, I have no way of selling off general goods in Whiterun unless I happened to be around the area at the same time the Khajiit caravanners are there.

Another encounter I had with a dragon screwing with me was when I was on my way to finish the numbers job you sometimes had to do at the stable near Windhelm. It killed the guy who owned the damn stable and Delvin had the nerve to accuse me of killing off the guy. The idiotic pervert of a thief decided that I don't get any septims for doing the job right.

Wraith

I try to do this as much as possible, the only thing that keeps messing me up are the dragons. After 1-2 dragons I'm usually close to my limit on carrying capacity with the weight of the dragon bones and scales.

If the dragon bones werent 15 weight each and worth mucho cash It'd be a lot easier.

And for those complaining about Hrothgar, that's got NOTHING on the Blades hideout. The Forswarn army outside respawns, and this time you dont have 2 bad mammajamma Blades watching your back.

Zelek2

I am in the process of starting a main char again, with my new build. I only plan of using fast travel when I become Full, then i will fast travel to off load and fast travel back.

Pete

My problem with purchased horses, is that they can be difficult to find after they are scared off during a fight. Can't whistle for them as far as I know.

Halkin

pzzzztt
i've been thinking of buying a horse but as cash is kinda tight have decided against it, especially as i read above they can wander off.

One thing though about exploring on foot: if you go in places like caves that no quest-giver has sent you to yet, sometimes you can glitch the mission once you do get it. In my current playthrough I cleared Rannveig's Fast without the mission and then later was given the mission and when I went to do it, Sild was lying on the floor dead with an indicator arrow pointed at him that I couldn't clear. Also, you can pick up journals and other things that become quest items without a quest. They have encumbering wieght that you can't get rid of until you find the quest-giver.

Sesamus

One thing though about exploring on foot: if you go in places like caves that no quest-giver has sent you to yet, sometimes you can glitch the mission once you do get it. In my current playthrough I cleared Rannveig's Fast without the mission and then later was given the mission and when I went to do it, Sild was lying on the floor dead with an indicator arrow pointed at him that I couldn't clear. Also, you can pick up journals and other things that become quest items without a quest. They have encumbering wieght that you can't get rid of until you find the quest-giver.

Yeah I have been avoiding places I find for fear of this happening.

Jeff the DragonBorn

I often ride Shadowmare around just for the hell of it. And YES it is amazing the things you see and find. Two mages fighting with some bandits or 3 Thalmor guards with a prisoner or a dragon fighting with a giant and a bear at the same time.

While walkign out of Whoterun today a guard mentioned something about a bad guy in a cave and I went over there and took him and his clan out. The amazing thing is I had walked by there many times and never noticed there was a cave up the hill. Of course the map updated after they told me. I was pretty happy he didn't ask me if someone took my sweetroll or tell me the story about his cousin fighting dragons...

Spellsword_Kale

Article Writer
Just started my second character the other day and while I don't think I'll be doing "no fast travel ever" I'm gonna try and do it as little as possible. I think. Just for immersions sake, on this one character. Cool blog!

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
My current character doesn't fast travel but I consider using a carriage to be acceptable.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts