• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

PoisonPen

So, bored with Skyrim, I decided to reinstall New Vegas, all my mods and DLCs and whatnot, and go hit up the Nexus for whatever new content has appeared in the last couple of years. After futzing around for a couple of hours with FOMM, BOSS, NMM, and Wry Bash to make everything fit together and play nicely, I loaded up a new game and... promptly died. Again and again. And again. And again and again and again.

Talk about culture shock. I had become so accustomed to how easy Skyrim is even on the very highest difficulty levels that I had forgotten how to play New Vegas. Suddenly every encounter was terrifying again. I had to wait until nightfall so I could sneak past encounters with almost everything. It was like I was made of tissue paper and everything else was made of stainless steel. After shooting a feral ghoul six times in the face with my best weapon and seeing his health bar go down by precisely two ticks and then getting insta-gibbed by a single blow, I was humbled -- and thrilled.

I had forgotten how badly Skyrim had been nerfed for the console kiddies, and playing it for so long had taught me bad habits. Suddenly I could no longer charge into the middle of a room full of enemies, guns blazing, and rely on stimpacks to keep me going. Suddenly I actually had to count every shell for my shotgun and estimate whether I dared to use up my last few rounds to take down that Powder Ganger and leave myself with nothing but a crowbar and a six-shooter to get me back to town... rather than thundering around with 2000 ebony arrows on my back like a mobile weapons platform.

And that was on normal difficulty.

It's been so long since I remember feeling the initial disappointment at Skyrim that I had forgotten it in all the HD texture packs and ultra-realistic waterfalls. If you haven't played New Vegas in a while, I challenge you to go back and try playing it again so you can feel how badly we've been screwed over by Bethesda in order to hold Playstation preschoolers by the hand.

(PS: If you really want some ass-puckering terror, install the "MoMod" monster pack and prepare to run away... a lot.)

Raetac

Youtube Adventurer
Skyrim is easy, when you get more than a few levels under your belt. Take this video of mine as example.
I died twice and had to skirt around the monster spawns to get to where I needed to go due to the fact my Redguard is only level 14 at the time and its on Expert difficulty.

Brizzle Kicks

Welcome To The Underground
I love NV I fired it up a few weeks ago and got hooked all over again I really like the hardcore mode and if I got £1 for every time I swore at being mauled to death by a Cazador I would be rich. I got it on the ps3 at release and was really angry because as soon as I hit the strip the game went to plops I got it for the pc in the steam sale for about £3 a year ago and haven't had a single problem with it one of my all time favourite games.

Mi-Ilu Yahaz

So, bored with Skyrim, I decided to reinstall New Vegas, all my mods and DLCs and whatnot, and go hit up the Nexus for whatever new content has appeared in the last couple of years. After futzing around for a couple of hours with FOMM, BOSS, NMM, and Wry Bash to make everything fit together and play nicely, I loaded up a new game and... promptly died. Again and again. And again. And again and again and again.

Talk about culture shock. I had become so accustomed to how easy Skyrim is even on the very highest difficulty levels that I had forgotten how to play New Vegas. Suddenly every encounter was terrifying again. I had to wait until nightfall so I could sneak past encounters with almost everything. It was like I was made of tissue paper and everything else was made of stainless steel. After shooting a feral ghoul six times in the face with my best weapon and seeing his health bar go down by precisely two ticks and then getting insta-gibbed by a single blow, I was humbled -- and thrilled.

I had forgotten how badly Skyrim had been nerfed for the console kiddies, and playing it for so long had taught me bad habits. Suddenly I could no longer charge into the middle of a room full of enemies, guns blazing, and rely on stimpacks to keep me going. Suddenly I actually had to count every shell for my shotgun and estimate whether I dared to use up my last few rounds to take down that Powder Ganger and leave myself with nothing but a crowbar and a six-shooter to get me back to town... rather than thundering around with 2000 ebony arrows on my back like a mobile weapons platform.

It's been so long since I remember feeling the initial disappointment at Skyrim that I had forgotten it in all the HD texture packs and ultra-realistic waterfalls. If you haven't played New Vegas in a while, I challenge you to go back and try playing it again so you can feel how badly we've been screwed over by Bethesda in order to hold Playstation preschoolers by the hand.

(PS: If you really want some ass-puckering terror, install the "MoMod" monster pack and prepare to run away... a lot.)

I don't want to sound like a jerk or anything, cause your post was very interesting to read, but Bethesda did not work on NV, Obsidian did. Bethesda worked with Obsidian but only to the extent of funding and patching it... I actually thought that Beth. worked on NV, until a friend pointed out that I was wrong... And 'console kiddies'? Now you're just hurting my feelings lol (I play on Xbox so that's not as bad as Playstation). Anyway, I would agree with you that NV is has a lot more, "RUN AWAY!!!!", moments than Skyrim, but it mainly depends on chracter class and level right? I mean, my very first character for Skyrim was a full warrior, with heavy armor, two handed, and smithing as the main perks. So even at a low level, it was difficult for enemies to defeat me. Then I started my mage character... and that thought went flying out the window. I mean, I couldn't go three steps without running into some enemy without getting killed, and I will point out here that in most rpg's now, I play characters that are 'magically' oriented. My assassin was the same problem. It wasn't until I got to level thirty that I could get through fights without a lot of problems. But like I said I see what you mean though. I'm actually kinda dissapointed with how much they took out of Skyrim compared to Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion. Seriously, if you compared Morrowind to Skyrim, you would probably like Morrowind more under the terms that it makes you WORK for everything, including your class and skills... Skyrim kinda lacks that. Don't get me wrong, I love the game but so much was taken out of it. When you compare it to the Fallouts, it seems lacking. NV may have had it problems (freaking glitches of hell), but it did make you work for everything. In terms of running into bandit camps in shooting the place up... well I just make sure to wear a LOT of heavy army and take a truck-load of stimpacks, just to be safe (Nothing new there)... I still have to run away in terror from the Deathclaws of Doom (-_-).

Appaullo

Yeah, I find the whole "console kiddies" attitude kind of disapointing. I agree with your points, but you can make those same points without the insults.

Appaullo

The_Gunslinger

I think one thing to take into consideration is the style of characters you are playing in each game.
In New Vegas you essentially play as a regular guy or gal. They may be a bit rough around the edges from surviving in a post apocalyptic setting, but at the end of the day they are very much a regular mortal.

In Skyrim you play as the Dragonborn, this larger than life mythic persona who's destiny is to stomp Dragons into the dust and save the whole world. I think the Dragonborn is supposed to feel like more of an asskicker, the kind of character that can rush headlong into battle while ignoring the arrows clinking off his armor and taking heads off left and right, a character who's very voice can destroy the front line of an army.

I think if you had to wander through dungeons counting arrows and trying to figure out how to handle each Draugr encounter then the game would feel like an all together different setting.

It sounds to me like you've played Skyrim quite a bit since it's release, enough that picking up another game felt unfamiliar. If so then you should not feel "screwed over" by a game company for giving you many hours of what must have been an enjoyable gaming experience, otherwise why play for so long?

Bad-People

Supreme Overlord of the Barbarian Tribe of Hothor
I don't know, I never found either of them to be particularly difficult(Unless you do something stupid Giant/Deathclaw at level 5)
Anyway Skyrim is still fresher to me but New Vegas is where I go when I feel like shooting something.

Please don't use your own personal skill or lack of willpower to set the standard for a game.

If you hate having too much ammo, start dropping most of it to make the conservation a challenge. Maybe download a mod that increases enemy difficulty. Set challenges for yourself.

The game doesn't have to adapt because you refuse to take an extra step to make it suit you. Just because I think that Archmage Robes make magic too, doesn't mean that the game has some flaw, it means that I need to take an extra step and do something about it. For my case, it was to stop using Archmage Robes.

I'm sorry that my family can't afford a Gaming PC right now, I guess? My deepest and most sincere apologies for so righteously ruining your game for preferring a cheaper alternative.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
I really hate when people compare Skyrim to New Vegas, but okay.

If I had to choose to wipe one series from the face of the Earth and leave the other, it'd be TES. Fallout's art style and atmosphere are unmatched in any game, and I've enjoyed New Vegas and FO3 (NV mostly) immensely.

Right now I'm saving up for getting NV on PC so I can pump it full of mods.

Spiral Power!

Abenddrachen
NV just felt too much like F3 to me, with new content but shorter length. If I'm looking for a challenge in a game, I play Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition. I can pretty much guarantee that any challenge you've faced in F:NV will be as a trembling child before a merciless tidal wave filled with electified eels and invisible shards of glass in comparison.

After beating Dark Souls, you gain an appreciation for playing a game that's not super challenging, and lets you just relax and have fun with it. So I get exactly what I want out of Skyrim.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
Skyrim is easy, when you get more than a few levels under your belt. Take this video of mine as example.
I died twice and had to skirt around the monster spawns to get to where I needed to go due to the fact my Redguard is only level 14 at the time and its on Expert difficulty.

Your voice is beautiful.

Alexstrasza

Mother of Dragons, Bride of Fire
I'm 50/50 on this, honestly i would pick Fallout NV over Skyrim because I'm a post-apocalypse nut. But when you throw mods into the mix, I would choose Skyrim because the amount of difficulty mods are endless and you can make the game almost impossible.

Bad-People

Supreme Overlord of the Barbarian Tribe of Hothor
For me too easy isn't an issue. Challenge is over-rated.

I don't want to sound like a jerk or anything, cause your post was very interesting to read, but Bethesda did not work on NV, Obsidian did. Bethesda worked with Obsidian but only to the extent of funding and patching it... I actually thought that Beth. worked on NV, until a friend pointed out that I was wrong... And 'console kiddies'? Now you're just hurting my feelings lol (I play on Xbox so that's not as bad as Playstation). Anyway, I would agree with you that NV is has a lot more, "RUN AWAY!!!!", moments than Skyrim, but it mainly depends on chracter class and level right? I mean, my very first character for Skyrim was a full warrior, with heavy armor, two handed, and smithing as the main perks. So even at a low level, it was difficult for enemies to defeat me. Then I started my mage character... and that thought went flying out the window. I mean, I couldn't go three steps without running into some enemy without getting killed, and I will point out here that in most rpg's now, I play characters that are 'magically' oriented. My assassin was the same problem. It wasn't until I got to level thirty that I could get through fights without a lot of problems. But like I said I see what you mean though. I'm actually kinda dissapointed with how much they took out of Skyrim compared to Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion. Seriously, if you compared Morrowind to Skyrim, you would probably like Morrowind more under the terms that it makes you WORK for everything, including your class and skills... Skyrim kinda lacks that. Don't get me wrong, I love the game but so much was taken out of it. When you compare it to the Fallouts, it seems lacking. NV may have had it problems (freaking glitches of hell), but it did make you work for everything. In terms of running into bandit camps in shooting the place up... well I just make sure to wear a LOT of heavy army and take a truck-load of stimpacks, just to be safe (Nothing new there)... I still have to run away in terror from the Deathclaws of Doom (-_-).
"not as bad as Playstation" May I ask what is wrong with Playstation lol?

Stereofanic

Hero of the defenceless, Champion of mankind
May i just ask what you mean by console kiddies? I have played on all 3 platforms and there is no difference in difficulty, if there is console is harder since there are no mods.

As for what is best i truly cant decide between the 2. Now if fallout 3 were added into the question.....

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.

PoisonPen

May i just ask what you mean by console kiddies? I have played on all 3 platforms and there is no difference in difficulty, if there is console is harder since there are no mods.

Games designed for PC are much harder than games designed for consoles. This is because it takes a certain base level of intelligence to operate and maintain a PC. While I'm sure there are nuclear physicists and great philosophers who own an Xbox, the fact is that all it takes to possess one is pocket change and chimp-level intelligence sufficient to plug in a power cord and press the 'on' button. Ask yourself why there are almost no turn-based or real-time strategy games for console -- and the few that exist, like Civilization, are dumbed down and simplified. It takes no more computing power to make a complex strategy game than a simple one. It's because the people using consoles don't have that minimum-intelligence cut-off that PC users do. In order to turn the maximum level of profit, developers making games for consoles have to ensure they can be used by young children, computer-illiterate seniors, the mentally deficient, Apple users, and Republicans.

The result of this has been devastating for PC users. We used to get games like Morrowind; now we get Skyrim -- pretty to look at, but deliberately dumbed-down to be friendly and easy to use for the 9 year olds ("console kiddies") who bankroll Bethesda with their mommies' video game money.

If you go back and play games which were designed for the PC first and later ported to consoles, rather than the other way around, you'll find that they are almost inevitably more complex, require higher critical thinking skills, and have more immersive gameplay designed to last many hours rather than the ten minutes between the end of The X Factor and when the Hot Pockets come out of the microwave.

Spiral Power!

Abenddrachen
blah blah blah republicans blah blah blah mac users blah blah blah everyone who isnt me is cancer derp.

This is exactly why people think PC gamers are all elitist jerkfaces.

The truth about the issue in the previous post is nothing like this. It has nothing to do with "level of intelligent" or "pc games are harder" at all. Especially for the reasons given, those are ridiculous and untrue.

The truth about the matter in the last post is simple: PCs were really the first console, and all consoles are basically based off of PCs. They are the minimum standard of a PC, only the parts that would be needed to play a game (except nowadays, they do many other things as well, such as streaming, browsing, and downloading).

The differences in presentation are what changed consoles so much from PCs. They are really not complicated, and can be seen very easily. Consoles were created as PCs that were cheaper and appealed to more people so that games could be played in mass numbers for a much cheaper price, rather than investing in a PC (which used to be expensive) and then trying games, which to a lot of people wasn't worth it for a simple hobby.

To make them appeal to more people, and to make the price drop enough to make them more desirable, consoles had to find ways to save money. Such as using a TV instead of a monitor simply because almost everyone has a TV, but (at the time) not nearly as many people have monitors. Because they were using TVs, they had to sit farther away (you remember what older TVs looked like way up close? Ouch!) and most games back then didn't have very complex controls, so having a small controller with a few buttons was a non-issue.

But consoles have always had their own audience of farther sitting fewer buttons people, and it's been larger because its always been more accessible to buy a console and hook it to your TV to play a game than it is to buy a whole entire PC and then to buy games for it.

Because of the distance from a TV and the limited controls, it slowly and steadily altered how games are designed. Notice how lots of older games used way larger text, because people were expected to sit further away so it would be harder to see it. Notice now how text is much smaller on consoles; because many people now use much larger TV sets and/or HDTVs that reading something so far isn't an issue anymore.

Games in general have been impacted by these changes, but it's because games have been refined to appeal to more people and not because "consoles are for stupid people and pcs are for smart people". That's ridiculous.

The reason you don't see as many "console kiddy" games on PC is because those games aren't released on the PC to begin with. Because publishers see no point in releasing to a "small insignificant minority" of gamers and it isn't going to bag them enough money to justify making a PC version. This is a very bad thing for PC gamers, because we don't get to see a lot of really great titles come to the PC. This was especially bad last generation of games, where an extremely small portion of games were released to the PC.

Nowadays because consoles are declining and with the invention of PC specific game services, PCs are finally catching up and PC gamers are getting their hands on the latest games for the first time.

TL;DR, good games are good games regardless of where they come from. PC gamers should be happy that we are finally getting some of the great games that everyone else gets, not looking down and spitting on them saying our games from 10 years ago are still better. The world keeps turning, so should we.

Games designed for PC are much harder than games designed for consoles. This is because it takes a certain base level of intelligence to operate and maintain a PC. While I'm sure there are nuclear physicists and great philosophers who own an Xbox, the fact is that all it takes to possess one is pocket change and chimp-level intelligence sufficient to plug in a power cord and press the 'on' button. Ask yourself why there are almost no turn-based or real-time strategy games for console -- and the few that exist, like Civilization, are dumbed down and simplified. It takes no more computing power to make a complex strategy game than a simple one. It's because the people using consoles don't have that minimum-intelligence cut-off that PC users do. In order to turn the maximum level of profit, developers making games for consoles have to ensure they can be used by young children, computer-illiterate seniors, the mentally deficient, Apple users, and Republicans.

The result of this has been devastating for PC users. We used to get games like Morrowind; now we get Skyrim -- pretty to look at, but deliberately dumbed-down to be friendly and easy to use for the 9 year olds ("console kiddies") who bankroll Bethesda with their mommies' video game money.

If you go back and play games which were designed for the PC first and later ported to consoles, rather than the other way around, you'll find that they are almost inevitably more complex, require higher critical thinking skills, and have more immersive gameplay designed to last many hours rather than the ten minutes between the end of The X Factor and when the Hot Pockets come out of the microwave.

Wow, you're a perfect example of an obnoxious PC player who makes them all look like asses.

"My expensive platform can do more so anybody who doesn't have it is a poor child who is ruining gaming."

I don't have the skills or money to just whip up an amazing gaming PC, and I don't need one. I have a cheap laptop and I can go on the forums and play a few games on it. When I want to play the bigger games, I use my PS3, because it costs less.

Stop trying to segregate yourself into some elite level of intellectual gamer. You're not. You're somebody with the wealth to afford a good PC. It's not that everybody else lacks the 'skills' to use a computer, it's that not everybody can afford such a thing. I'm SOOO sorry that a video game company isn't a biased prick such as yourself.

Seriously, stop taking your computer for granted, you ungrateful little tool. I don't have a computer that can run games like Skyrim because my family doesn't have the funds, not because I'm unintelligent and unable to operate a computer.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts