• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Smarty

Here are tips aimed at those who have difficulty playing expert/master/legendary.

First of all, always keep moving, it makes it that much harder for the enemy to hit you. If you are cornered use a shout that displaces or knock backs the enemy, such as unrelenting force or fire breath, alternatively mass paralysis, if you have it and can use it.

Try to keep your shouts for when you really need them. Know where your enemy is, use detect life/dead and aura whisper, they tell you where and how many enemies there are. They also prevent unfortunate surprises, such as when a draugr gets out of a coffin and flanks you.

Carry different gear for different situation, for example you could carry one set of ring/amulet for magic/elemental resistance and another set that boosts heavy/light armor.

When sneaking, aim for the strongest enemy that you know you can one shot, the less enemies you have to deal with the less damage you take. Even if your build isn't sneak oriented, sneak can be very useful against enemies that have a lot of health/high armor, those bonuses really make a difference.

If stealth is your primary offense, always aim for the highest possible damage. When facing tons of enemies like in the civil war quest line, call dragon and chain lightening are very useful. Always try to flank the enemy when possible.

Make use of the three crafting skills, do not limit yourself.

Before a stealth attack, use fortify one handed/two handed/archery potion plus poisons when you know you won't one shot the enemy without them. Weakness to poison and damage health, slow and damage health, paralyse and damage health, those are all particularly useful combinations in certain situations.

When facing enemies with powerful destruction spells, use a ward or spellbreaker to protect yourself, the same goes for dragons. Use block only when you must, otherwise get out of the way.

Know your enemies, pay attention to what higher level enemies are usually wearing and their names. In most situations, it's much better kill the weaker enemies first. If you're high enough in illusion, don't be afraid to use invisibility, it's particularly useful when combined with conjuration. Conjure a minion, get invisible and flank them while they concentrate on your minion, rinse and repeat until they're dead. You can also adapt that same tactic to the become Ethereal and Call of Valor shouts.

Use followers, they can make a huge difference in many situations. If you use stealth, don't forget to muffle. If you dual wield, Elemental Fury is very powerful.

For opponents that one shot you, use the Ice Form shout or paralysis spell/poison. I've never used it but I've heard more than once that the Slow Time shout is very useful for archers in this situation.

If you use stealth, don't forget to use the Throw Voice shout or shoot an arrow/bolt, it can be useful in so many situations. Here are a few examples: separate an enemy from the rest and take it down with stealth, separate a boss from weaker enemies so you can take them down first, use it to flank
the enemy, make them search for you elsewhere, move enemies into a trap and so much more.

Whirlwind sprint is also extremely useful in certain situations, for example, to get to places the enemy can't, move away from a blow/arrow, pass through certain traps without damage.

If you have the Bend Will shout, don't be afraid to use it, it works on much more than just dragons. If you don't know already, when an enemy is near a cliff, use unrelenting force, classic!
If you use reanimate/thrall spells, don't forget to heal them.

Here's a list of the most useful artifacts, in my humble opinion.

Aetherial Staff - Summons a dwarven spider or sphere - A bit redundant if you have Sanguine's Rose, but like Sanguine's Rose, can be very useful as a decoy.

Aetherial Crown - Allows you to have two standing stones active at the same time - Extremely useful, I recommend the Lord stone or Lady stone. Combine it with a dragon priest mask of your choice and alternate when you need more defense.

Aetherial Shield - Makes enemies unable to attack and be attacked for 15 seconds - Use it on the strongest enemy then kill the weaklings.

Archmage's Robes - 100% magicka regeneration, fortify all schools 15 points, fortify magicka 50 points - If you're a mage this is self explanatory.

Gauldur's Amulet - +30 points to health, magicka and stamina - Probably the strongest, not self made, amulet in the game. Get it as soon as possible.

Spellbreaker - When blocking, creates a ward of 50 points - Very useful against dragon priests, dragons and mages in general. Personally, my favorite shield in the game.

Auriel's Bow - 20 points sun damage, undead take triple damage - Very useful against undead/vampires.

Chillrend - Paralyse 2 secs and 30 points frost damage - In my opinion, the best non-self made one handed sword enchantment in the game. If you dual wield it with Mehrunes Razor or nightingale blade, you become a real killing machine.

Dawnguard Rune Axe - 10-100 points damage in 15 feets, the more undead you kill the more powerful - Undead killing machine, combine it with Auriel's Bow and watch does vampires die.

Ebony Blade - 10-30 points absorb health, friends you kill power up the weapon - If you use two handed and don't want to bother with enchanting, this is the sword to get.

Nightingale Blade - Absorb Health 25 points, absorb stamina 25 points - Extremely useful for dual wielders, almost allows you infinite power attacks, dual wield it with chillrend and you'll be almost
invincible against melee attackers susceptible to paralyse.

Mehrunes' Razor - 2/101 chance of instant kill - Useful against those opponents with tons of health/armor, when I have to use it I don't even bother with power attacks.

Sanguine's Rose - Summons a Dremora Lord for 60 seconds - In my opinion, the best staff in the game. Use the summon as a decoy and flank them!

Staff of Magnus - Absorb 20 points magicka per sec, if the target has no more, magicka absorb health instead - Very useful for mages, combine it with a weak spell and you have magicka as long as the enemy still has some. Very useful against dragon priests and mages in general.

Volendrung - Absorb 50 points stamina - As long as the enemy has stamina you won't lack any. Very powerful, especially at lower levels. In my opinion, the best, not self enchanted, warhammer in the game.

Nightingale Bow - Slow 50 points for 3 secs, Shock damage 15 points, Frost damage 30 points - If you are a pure archer, this is the bow you wanna get.

Dawnguard Rune Hammer - Useful for setting traps if you don't use destruction.

BloodScythe and Soulrender - absorb 15 points health and magicka plus a chance to lower target armor - Nightingale Blade is better, but it can be useful against heavy armored targets.

Bloodskal Blade - Energy blast with power attacks, 30 points damage - Useful for two handed warriors who don't wanna used ranged attacks against those Lurker Vindicators who one shots you, or fast moving mages.

Champion's Cudgel - 50% chance of fire, frost, shock damage, 25 points - If you use enchanting, you want this.

Dwarven Black Bow of Fate - 50% chance of absorbing 25 points of health, stamina, and/or magicka - In my opinion, Nightingale Bow is better.

Miraak's Staff - Sprays tentacles that stagger and poison foes - Useful against those creatures you really don't want getting close.

Zephir - Shoots 30% faster - Use this with a slow and frost enchantment, your enemy won't get close, ever. This is my favorite Lurker Vindicator killer, if your cornered use whirlwind sprint.

If you would like to add anything feel free to do so. If I've made any mistake, please do point it out. If you repost this please give me credit and post a link to it in this thread.

EDIT: Credit to Skulli, shooting an arrow has the same effect as the throw voice shout.

Twiffle

for sneak/assasin get Valdrs lucky dagger, 25% chance of critical strick, can be smithed with steel perk, doesnt need elemental perk.

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
Actually, Throw Voice is kind of a wasted shout cooldown since you can just shoot an arrow to the same location and get the desired effect.

Smarty

Actually, Throw Voice is kind of a wasted shout cooldown since you can just shoot an arrow to the same location and get the desired effect.

Didn't know about that, but not everybody carry a bow though.
I'll add it to my post, if you don't mind.

jarif

when fighting two dragons, the most important thing is not how you kill them but how you kill one of them so you can face it one on one instead of multi tasking

Haru17

Lost Falmer
Dwarven Black Bow of Fate's enchantment is actually completely different from the Champion's Cudgel. It has a 50% chance of absorbing 25 points of health, stamina, and/or magicka.

Edit: You also can't disenchant the bow.

Smarty

Dwarven Black Bow of Fate's enchantment is actually completely different from the Champion's Cudgel. It has a 50% chance of absorbing 25 points of health, stamina, and/or magicka.

Edit: You also can't disenchant the bow.

Thanks, I'll make the appropriate modification.

Andre2807

Nice post!

Smarty

for sneak/assasin get Valdrs lucky dagger, 25% chance of critical strick, can be smithed with steel perk, doesnt need elemental perk.

From what I've read here, critical is pretty weak in high levels, so I did not include it.

And yes, I was definitely keeping that post for a bump when my thread needed it.