PC SKYRIM stuttering

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

JustDutch101

So my skyrim got stuttery.. heres all the info

-I tried downloading the anti-stutter mod , didnt help at all
- tried evrything that got told me on the internet (googling , youtube) didnt help..
- run the "can I run it?" app , I got the good requirements
- tried that code thingy in the skyrimprefs.ini file but nothing changed
- It doesnt happen from the start , it starts after a 2-3 minutes minutes of playing. If I close the game and start it over it's gone but doing that every 2-3 minutes makes you very quickly bored..

look , im not a graphics-boy. I putted all my graphics to the lowest as possible (Im more a mod trolling guy than main story's guy) but with evrything I do I get the stuttering after 2-3 minutes its making me crazy! my graphics adapter is GeForce GTX 260M (got a 4 year old laptop) so is my graphics adapter the problem? If there is anything I didnt tell wat you guys need to know just say it

sry if its not that good english , im not that good at english ;p

SaveVsBedWet

Everything I've seen indicates that performance smoothness in this particular game is at least as much about the CPU as the GPU. What CPu are you running and how much RAM to you have?

There are also tweak guides around that help with individual settings such as enabling more cores and memory to be accessible, getting around shadow problems (particularly on grass) and fade distances, and other things involving the skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini settings. Also, you might want to check out both Boss (for load order) and TES5Edit (for cleaning up mod file references and such), because those things can cause all sorts of problems too.

Where are you getting the stuttering? Is it while crossing certain terrain? Inside, outside, or both? Are you running any texture/graphics mods or UI mods like SkyUI?

Need more info...

Iveri Sarothil

My graphic card is Nvidia 310m, little better than yours but definitely not by much. Here's what I did to eliminate some stuttering:

1. Go into your Nvidia control panel, go to 3d settings.
2. Go to Program Settings. Make sure Skyrim's in the box to customize.
3. Here's what I changed:
Anti-Aliasing - Off
Max Pre-Rendered Frames - 1
Multi-display - Single Display Performance Mode
Power Management Mode - Prefer Maximum Performance

Dunno if it helps, but there you go. There's also a lot of nice things to speed up the game on the Nexus, if you search Performance. It might just be that the card simply isn't all that powerful. :/

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
My graphic card is Nvidia 310m, little better than yours but definitely not by much.
The GTX 260M is significantly better than the 310M which is a rebrand of the 210M.

JustDutch101 make sure your video card driver is up to date. It can make a big difference in performance. You can get the current 32 bit driver here and the the current 64 bit driver here.

Try lowering your screen resolution as well and do post your CPU as it may be the source of the problem.

Iveri Sarothil

My graphic card is Nvidia 310m, little better than yours but definitely not by much.
The GTX 260M is significantly better than the 310M which is a rebrand of the 210M.

JustDutch101 make sure your video card driver is up to date. It can make a big difference in performance. You can get the current 32 bit driver here and the the current 64 bit driver here.

Try lowering your screen resolution as well and do post your CPU as it may be the source of the problem.

My mistake. I must have looked up the wrong one when answering this.

SaveVsBedWet

Hehe. I thought Iveri was talking about my card. I'm like..."but I'm running a GTX680 overclocked!"

One of the things I've found is really problematic is shadowing on stuff. Particularly on grass. There are a few settings in Skyrim.ini that deal with shadows, and they're all boolean true/false values such as bTreesReceiveShadows and bShadowsOnGrass. These should all be set to false on a limited power mobile card. Grass Fade distance should start out at something like 3 or 4 and be worked up until it proves to be problematic.

On a multicore CPU'd machine, one should set the value for used cores to match what they have (maximum 5) because I believe Skyrim only uses one or two cores by default and the rest of the CPU twiddles its thumbs, then Skyrim acts like it's throwing too much at the cpu and starts screwing up. I can't remember offhand if it's in Skyrim.ini or SkyrimPrefs.ini but there are several guides available on the 'net that mention it and what to do with it, as well as guides that mention what to do about the maximum usable memory value that's in there and needs to be matched with a simple formula to the machine's actual RAM.

DepthOfField should be off everywhere. Ansiotropic Filtering should either be off or at 4X or 2X. A card like the one mentioned can't handle more than that and there is a consensus among tweakin guides (including NVidia's official) that this setting has the greatest overall contribution to scene quality of anything in the GPU configuration. Meaning it also can have the single largest contribution to performance issues relating to the GPU as well.

If you run any mods, I would install Boss and check load order, and TES5Edit and make sure the mod files and dependencies are clean. Missing or corrupted files can cause all sorts of problems from stuttering while trying to load dialogue or animations to CTDs. And I would make sure your system drive is where the game sits for one thing and that that drive, or wherever it sits, has been defragged regularly. Hunting the drive looking for fragments of files is a sure killer of Skyrim performance. Unless you're on SSD of course.

Lots of stuff and that's only the start of it, but I hope it helps. These too below :

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-tweak-guide#1 (so you know what the individual GPU settings do and don't)

http://itcprosolutions.com/skyrimguides/tweak_guide.htm (Even more hardcore and specific)

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/11/? (S.T.E.P. : For when you've gone and slaved your very dignity to your Skyrim performance)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts