• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

boethiah'sbitch

Maybe Im the Dragonborn & I just dont know it yet
How does everyone feel about the Skyrim soundtrack? Do you think it could've been more epic? Less epic? Do you have a favorite track? Which song conveys the most emotion to you and why? I just want to know everyone's thoughts!

JoeReese

I think it's pretty good as is now. I don't know the names of the music, but the intro is pretty epic, especially the version playing when you're fighting a dragon. There is an eerily sad score, which plays sometimes when you're just exploring and after a battle. It tends to stir remorse or a sense of loss in me pretty effectively.

boethiah'sbitch

I think it's pretty good as is now. I don't know the names of the music, but the intro is pretty epic, especially the version playing when you're fighting a dragon. There is an eerily sad score, which plays sometimes when you're just exploring and after a battle. It tends to stir remorse or a sense of loss in me pretty effectively.

I think I may know which score you are talking about. The title is called Kyne's Peace. Look it up on youtube and see if it's the one that you are talking about

JoeReese

Ok, it's not that one and I had no idea there were so many different works on this soundtrack. It will take me a while, but I will find it and post it. The Sovngarde score is pretty stirring too, in a more pre-post battle way. The one I meant makes me think of surveying the damage after a battle and acknowledging the loss of comrades, while the Sovngarde score seems to project the march toward, but not into, battle and the march home of the victorious.

boethiah'sbitch

Yea I definitely agree with that! The Sovngarde one is actually a bit haunting but in a ghostly battle sort of way. Like the heroes in Sovngarde still are waiting for the battle. I dont know I just find Sovngarde haunting in its own way

DefragZA

I feel they could have added a bit more with the sound to achieve better atmosphere in certain areas, overall i ts quite good but after recently playing borderlands 2 and black mesa source and them coming back to skyrim, it just doesn't quite compare.

MyNameIsJon

How does everyone feel about the Skyrim soundtrack? Do you think it could've been more epic?

More epic? Not possible.

The soundtrack is absolutely perfect. One of the best, if not THE best, gaming soundtracks I've ever heard. It is better, by far, than most movie soundtracks.

Not only is the music great, but the sheer volume of work is incredible. Four CDs including the 45 minute Atmospheres ambient track. I realize that some Morrowind and Oblivion music is included, but I consider that a pro, not a con.

My favorites are anything with the choir, such as Masser and Standing Stones. The one most people mention as very moving is Journey's End. You all know this piece very well, even though you might not know the name.

I have played the Skyrim soundtrack every day for the past 5 months I've owned it. Are you starting to understand how I feel about it? :)

JoeReese

Thank you Jon. That is precisely the one I was talking about. I was all over the place on youtube, trying to find it, but I couldn't get them into order.

The score just strikes me as kind of a post-battle moment to breathe and reorganize, where I imagine someone resting their weapon wearily on their shoulder, looking around the battlefield, heavy of breath, taking stock of who and what remains. At about 1:56 it takes a very soulful, sad note to me, as though they just discovered the death of a trusted comrade or loved one. They kneel, tears welling up, and silently lament their own loss as well as honor the courage or strength of the fallen, maybe vowing to fight stronger in their wake.

MyNameIsJon

Thank you Jon. That is precisely the one I was talking about. I was all over the place on youtube, trying to find it, but I couldn't get them into order.

You're welcome.

One day, my Skyrim game will end. When it does, I hope that song is playing.

Lizzifer

Watch out for hop-ons.
I don't think it's as epic as Oblivion's soundtrack but it's still pretty awesome. I like the Skyrim battle music better than Oblivion's. The song that plays inside the Drunken Huntsman is my fave.

Saozig

Hippy
Oh, I love the Drunken Huntsman's music too. Such a nice break from Ragnar the Red and Age of Aggression too.I would hang out there more often if not my character's view getting all glitchy if I sit down at any of the tables.

Confession time: I actually play lute. I have two, real, handmade, concert quality Renaissance lutes--an alto and a tenor--and I used to play in a Early music ensemble in the 90's while working on my music degree. So there's a lot appeal in much the incidental music where I can hear the influence of a real Renaissance music.

I admittedly didn't even thin about getting the soundtrack before reading this thread even though i really love the music. I have now just ordered it from DirectSong. Looking forward to this!

JoeReese

That Drunken Huntsman song kind of reminds me of a light-hearted verson of the Sovngarde work. Both have a hint of When Johnny Comes Marching Home to them. I'll have to try to dig out the other laptop, to play them together and see how close they are.

JoeReese

"Confession time: I actually play lute. "

How cool is that? Guitar players are a dime a dozen, but find a good lute player...

I, on the other hand, can barely play an mp3.

SprSynJn

This is one soundtrack that I'd have difficulty picking a favorite song. A large amount of difficulty. Just about every track sounds phenomenal in general. You really feel as though they put some time into composing it. The most memorable themes so far have been in town and out in Skyrim. The latter's are so grand I cannot wait to step outside to listen.

boethiah'sbitch

More epic? Not possible.

The soundtrack is absolutely perfect. One of the best, if not THE best, gaming soundtracks I've ever heard. It is better, by far, than most movie soundtracks.

Not only is the music great, but the sheer volume of work is incredible. Four CDs including the 45 minute Atmospheres ambient track. I realize that some Morrowind and Oblivion music is included, but I consider that a pro, not a con.

My favorites are anything with the choir, such as Masser and Standing Stones. The one most people mention as very moving is Journey's End. You all know this piece very well, even though you might not know the name.

I have played the Skyrim soundtrack every day for the past 5 months I've owned it. Are you starting to understand how I feel about it? :)

I know I feel it's excellent as well! I love anything with the chorus as well. Its so haunting! I love Sovngarde and Kyne's Peace