PC Skyrim running with extremely low fps

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Markiz

I finally got Skyrim today for the PC, and after over an hour of downloading updates, I was excited to play again (having played on a PS3 before). However, after starting the game, it started lagging quite a bit during the opening sequence. The character creation was incredibly slow, and the actual game play is unplayable, as it runs at about 4 fps.

System specs:
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
System Model: HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC
Processor: Intel Core i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz (8 CPUs)
Memory: 8GB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Integrated graphics: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Graphics card name: Radeon (TM) HD 7470M
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x6760)
Display Memory: 725 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1008 MB
Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

I looked at the configuration for Skyrim, and discovered that it was only picking up my integrated graphics card. After much googling and searching, I found that many other people seem to be having this problem. However, even after setting Skyrim on the high-performance graphics card, it was still lagging. No setting changes I tried fixed it. I switched my bios to fixed graphics, and even forcing the graphics card to stay on didn't fix it.

I've tried turning off vsink, forcing it in the ATI settings...no luck. I've tried a ton of things all day, and I can't get anything to work. If anyone can help, it would be amazing. I love this game, and am really disappointed that it's not working.

And I'd love my money back if it just can't work, since my computer completely meets the requirements.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I had tried upgrading my drivers. ATI refused to upgrade my drivers, no matter what I downloaded. I also removed the ini files in the My Games folder every time I tried a change to make sure the game rescanned for graphics cards. After I forced my computer to use the graphics card, it did recognize the card, but didn't effect performance.

Anthrax

Revenant of Shadows
Have you actually set the card manually in Skyrim settings?

Hey Markiz. I have that problem too but know i dont really have lag anymore. An i will teach you how to remove OR reduce Skyrim lag for sure.
Tips:
1. Update - You really need to update your graphics card in order to reduce your lag in Skyrim. To update, click the Start button in your desktop and click Control Panel. Then you need to set it in category to find Hardware And Sound. when you click it, find the section called Device and Printers and click the Device Manager. Then find Display Adapters. do not click the name. Click the arrow button at the left side of it.
Then find your Graphics Card name and right click it. When you right click it, click Update Driver Software. then you just need to click Update Automatically and then it will find the update for your card.

2. Settings - You can set all the settings to low. To set it In-Game, you need to go to menu, and go to Settings, and click Displays. And just set it all into the lowest part of the bar (EXCEPT the opacity thingy.) and save it.

:pinkdragon: Hope it Helps Markiz :bluedragon: :vomit::confused:

Markiz

And now it's not changing again?

Could you also provide a thorough descriptive list of things you've tried and the symptoms you experiencing.

I will address them later when I get back.

I have tried updating my drivers, Windows claims they are up to date. I was unable to use any updating programs from ATI as they always say its for the wrong card (even when I pick the right one.)

As for symptoms, the game overall is quite laggy, and in-game action slows down to about 4 fps, even on the lowest settings.

I changed my bios back to dynamic (auto-switching) and the game detected the integrated graphics again. I also forgot to mention that it set the settings at medium quality every time. I always set it back to low.

Besides trying to get it running on the graphics card, I tried turning the vsync off as some people had said that it helped, but it didn't effect anything. Basically, anything I tried didn't do anything.

I'm drawing a blank for what else I tried. That's all I can think of right now....I just finished exams and I'm exhausted.

Edit: notebookcheck.net got Skyrim to run on this card with lower ram and a worse cpu at 28 fps, so something else has to be up...right?

Markiz

Just checked on HP's website for a driver update, and my Radeon drivers are up to date. I can't think of what else could be wrong....

Markiz

Update your BIOS Software & Driver Downloads HP Pavilion dv6-1352dx Entertainment Notebook PC | HP® Support

Then go back in the BIOS and proceed through Switchable Graphics" and change it's setting to Fixed Mode.

If this doesn't work, which it should. We need to then strip your prefs settings to use the ATI driver and then disable Intel's integrated one.

I've done that, and verified through the catalyst control center that it's running on the ATI card, and it runs the same, which makes me think that it does run it on the ATI card automatically (very badly though). As for disabling the integrated graphics, I've read in many places that doing that breaks both cards, as they are linked together.

Anthrax

Revenant of Shadows
Does other games utilize the ATI driver?

Just as a matter of curiosity. I would just install Skyrim without the added updates and see if it does.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I had tried upgrading my drivers. ATI refused to upgrade my drivers,

Only update your drivers from here: 24/7 Online support for HP's Home and Home Office Products | HP® Support

Have you installed AMD catalyst drivers on that machine? AMD catalyst drivers don't work on HP ATI cards with switchable graphics. These are only provided by HP.

If it's the right driver you have, this may even be settings you've changed in the Catalyst control panel. So you need to reset everything to basic.

Markiz

Have you installed AMD catalyst drivers on that machine? AMD catalyst drivers don't work on HP ATI cards with switchable graphics. These are only provided by HP.

If it's the right driver you have, this may even be settings you've changed in the Catalyst control panel. So you need to reset everything to basic.

Yeah I realized my mistake and updated from HP's site. And I've checked everything in the CCC to make sure.

Does other games utilize the ATI driver?

Just as a matter of curiosity. I would just install Skyrim without the added updates and see if it does.

I know that other games utilize it perfectly fine.

And do you mean trying Skyrim without the Skyrim updates?

Markiz

Have you even updated Skyrim?

If you haven't then that's probably why.

If you have, just reverse it to an older update, (i.e. if you have installed 1.8 revert to 1.7)

But if you haven't updated, I suggest you do so.

Yes I have updated to 1.8 with Steam. How would I reverse to an older update? I would know how to normally, but Steam is pretty new to me...and my internet is so slow...

Anthrax

Revenant of Shadows
I reinstalled Skyrim, but I don't know how to not have the updates added. And that didn't work.

So after reinstalling Skyrim, it still isn't using dedicated ATI Mobility Radeon drivers?

I suspect those AMD drivers are conflicting. I just think you've installed the wrong type of drivers.

You mentioned other games use it fine, which tells me Skyrim is to blame. But other games might not switch you over to ATI. What you can try is to drive flush your machine.

Download and install Driver Cleaner - Download and clean everything on the laptop. This program will remove all the drivers on your machine.

Once you have done that, install everything from 24/7 Online support for HP's Home and Home Office Products | HP® Support to put the latest drivers back onto your machine.

Once you have driver flushed and reinstalled the right drivers from HP, you need to right click on the desktop and go into Catalyst Control Center and the first drop down box that is defaulted Intel Integrated Graphics, change this to use the the ATI Radeon. You can also proceed to change it to use high performance in Skyrim.

Then you right click on Skyrim.exe on the desktop and you will see an option there that says Run with graphics processor -- ATI click that.

I had this problem on a different laptop similar to G6 and what it was old drivers that messed up switching IGP using discreet High Performance ATI card.

Markiz

So after reinstalling Skyrim, it still isn't using dedicated ATI Mobility Radeon drivers?

I suspect those AMD drivers are conflicting. I just think you've installed the wrong type of drivers.

You mentioned other games use it fine, which tells me Skyrim is to blame. But other games might not switch you over to ATI. What you can try is to drive flush your machine.

Then you right click on Skyrim.exe on the desktop and you will see an option there that says Run with graphics processor -- ATI click that.

I had this problem on a different laptop similar to G6 and what it was old drivers that messed up switching IGP using discreet High Performance ATI card.

I haven't flushed my drivers yet, as my internet is so slow. When I get a chance to download all my drivers, I'll try that. Meanwhile, I tried resetting my CCC settings to default, with no luck. As for the option of Run with ATI in the exe file...I can't find that any where...I don't think I ever had that option. Are you sure it should be there? I know that is an option with Nidvida cards.

Keira2142

Hi all, new to the forum but I've got a similar issue.

System specs: Windows 7 x64 ultimate

Gigabyte GTX560ti super oc

i5 760 2.8 ghz quad @ 3.0 ghz.

Gskill ripjaws 8gb 1600mhz

Gigabyte mobo (can't remember chipset).

I can play this game on ultra settings @ 1920x1080 with no lag whatsoever. Sometimes. Its Ultra inconsistent (I see what I did there xD). Maxed out in the wide open world it will run flawlessly @ 40-50 fps but sometimes it will just plummet to 4 and stay there. Other times it will plummet to 4 and fix itself. All of this information is regardless of the graphics settings its on its bizzare. And frustrating. Anyway I would suggest downloading your latest drivers at the first available opportunity and clean installing them. I know your pain with the slow internet (I'm on 7 gigs a month @ 1 mbps). You should be able to run Skyrim at medium quality at least! Theres no excuse for this crap I feel for you.

Skyrim is definitely to blame, I've seen GTX680 SLI systems lag and 4 way crossfire systems the same.

If you have any older driver versions, try rolling back, thats been known to fix really bad performance in a certain game for me before.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts