• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Kittypaw

Lost in a sea of lols.
Well, I recently got really into Skyrim, and I decided to buy all the DLC and make a character to do an RP challenge, where I have to use the paper map, and eat regularily and such, but before I could start, I needed to think of a class. I always had a few problems with this, because I can be very indecisive. mainly, because I play more of an 'Oblivion' styled character. a few major skills, I don't stray far from, with the exception of Enchanting, and occasionally smithing/alchemy.
I hear alot of the awnsers coming up as 'Whatever suits your playstyle' well, I don't really know what suits my playstyle, I find magic/ranged is where my strongsuit is, I ussually play on the difficulty 'adept' because with the earlier difficulties it's too easy, and other difficulties, those 2 specs become weak, I could never really figure out melee, so I just ran at things and clicked them, and died much too often for my taste. So if anyone knows a way to make a spec strong, good builds, Vampire/werewolf combos, anything. Just post suggestions below? It'd be real' cool

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Well if you going to do a RP challenge, then one thing you may want to do is role play your character. Don't focus on what the best build is. Just create a character, make him/her as real as possible. Wants, goals, likes, dislikes, fears, traits, flaws, etc.

Riften Guard

Bad Thief
You say you are okay at archery? You play on adept, and don't quite get melee. You could do the "Orc Impaler" build. It's basically an archer, but as an orc, and absolutely no archery. You would use heavy armor as well. The main skills you would need for this build are archery, heavy armor, restoration ( early levels ), and smithing. You would use a bow even at close combat. You will have no problems keeping people at longer range later game if you grab the right perks. You should get power shot, speed shot, and bullseye. I would also max out overdraw as you won't be using many skill points anywhere else and one in steady hand. (P.s. You don't have to be an orc, I find it works best as an orc to tank hits with berserker's rage.)

http://theskyrimblog.ning.com/group...acter-build-orcish-impaler-argonian-ebonscale
Here is a link for the build idea page. Ignore the last bit about the ebonscale as its melee based.

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
If you do not want melee, I agree that you should become kind of assassin style : Sneak, Archery, Light-Armor .... just remember that alchemy, enchanting and smithing are your best allies in the game. If you enchant your weapons, armors and items ( ring and necklace ), you will be very powerful. I do have sneak and archery -1 perk on both of them and I do wear and enchanted ring and necklace with sneaking, archery, lockpicking and light armor, etc. I am completely invisible, undetectable and very lethal; I never carry any health potion, just 2 cure poison, 2 cure disease and 2 strength ... but I am not a thieve / assassin per se. Most of the time I fight openly with dagger and magic on my left hand + shout. Just my 2 cents. Happy gaming ! :)

SlaveIITheGame

I had never given the 1 hand + shield route much of a go until recently. It seemed a little slow for me at first and more dying compared to just shooting them with a bow. Though once I unlocked block runner at 70 block and shield charge at 100... WOW! So much fun knocking humanoids down while you start hacking at them as they get up. Especially when your follower blocks you in a room by standing in a doorway, shield charge through them ;)

If aiming for RP then as I think it is rather hard to RP "pure" mage early in game so you can stick to the archer character or just grab hold and pierce trough any hardships )

Shadow King

Grand master of the Order of Talos.
Play an assasin/thief there better to roleplay than a mage well I think anyways, so what other rp ideas do u have, something I do often is make a historical timeline of my character, so for example if he chooses to wipe the dark brotherhood out, I would write time/year/month/date on a peice of paper or notepad so It would go something like this.

today I destroyed the dark brotherhood they were evil it was the right thing to do.
4 era 12th hearthfire 9.15 am

something along those lines the reason it is so good using this in roleplay is because say u want to stick to being a good character its very easy to drift from good to evil, so if u read over the holy/good deeds u have done like the example above ure more likely to stay in tune with ure character, hope this helps you.

AS88

Staff member
I find magic/ranged is where my strongsuit is

First off, welcome :)

The part I quoted above is what really stuck out to me, especially when you asked for a build idea.

How about going for a Witchhunter-style build? I've never played the games previous to Skyrim, but after reading up on them on uesp and the wiki, I used;

Archery
Conjuration
Destruction
Alteration/Light Armour (or both)
Restoration
Sneak
Alchemy

Although Skyrim gives players the opportunity to play this build extremely effectively, there's no reason why, half-way through a crypt/cave/camp, you couldn't switch to a more mage based style, or a sneaky archer play style, depending on what you fancied at the time.

At early levels in particular, Bound Bow with the Mystic Binding perk could see you wanting to try expert (I play this build on expert and rarely even get seen, never mind get hit), it's very powerful. Add an atronach/zombie/follower into the mix and you should have a blast. If there's a time when archery isn't the best course of action, try an AoE destruction spell, or runes, or Turn Undead spells against Draugr or Vampires.

Also, if you use conjuration and a follower, you could have a party of 4. Yourself, your summon, your follower, and their summon (be it through their own conjuration spells, or a staff). This would surely get you onto expert, where the real fun is :p

Also, my avatar is my own witchhunter character, that's how much I recommend it ;)