PC Skyrim Pc- Sony Vaio desktop.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Clevdawg15

Hey, I just got a new computer, the all-in-one Sony Vaio desktop with touchscreen and im hoping it runs skyrim well.
  • Processor Type : Intel® Core™ i5-3210M
  • Processor Technology : Dual Core
  • Processor Speed : 2.50GHz1 with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.10GHz2
  • Processor Cache : 3MB
  • Installed Memory : 6GB (4GB + 2GB)
  • Max. Memory : 16GB
  • Memory Type/Speed : DDR3/1600MHz
  • Graphics Processor : Intel® HD Graphics 4000
  • Graphics Video RAM : Internal6
  • Maximum Resolution HDMI : 1920 x 1080
  • Sound System : Intel® High Definition Audio with S-FORCE™ Front Surround 3D powered by S-MASTER
Even though i have skyrim for the xbox, since i got this new computer i am hoping i can run it on the pc with decent settings.

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
Nope, no dedicated video card.

Pretty sure it won't work with an on-board chip like the one you have.

I gutted my old HP slimline and upgraded it over the weekend, it could not play Skyrim with the on-board chip (Intel GMA3100). The experience wasn't so bad, out of pocket it cost me about $200 and took me about 3 hours for my first ever pseudo-build. A friend gave me the graphics card so that cut my expenses, but I did fork out about $70 for shipping to Hawaii, no such thing as free shipping here, still cheaper and better quality stuff than buying locally.

From the old machine I salvaged:
  • Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.6GHz
  • MS-7525 Motherboard
  • 4GB RAM
  • 640GB HDD
  • Windows 7 64bit

Installed:
  • Raidmax 700w Modular PowerSupply
  • Gigabyte GV-R5670C (ATI/Radeon) Graphics Card
  • NZXT Black Apollo Case
Skyrim works great now, installed several mods.

Clevdawg15

Im not fluent in these kind of things so i didnt know. So i would be able to buy a separate video card from like best buy?

Morgan

It looks like the model you're thinking of has the option for discrete graphics card for an extra $100:

NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 620M (1GB) dedicated graphics14

That would get you going. You might also reconsider having them add the RAM. Paying $50 to add a single 2MB chip is a lot, especially since you could buy a 4MB chip and add it yourself for less than that. On a desktop or laptop this is quite easy. I'm not familiar with these all-in-one housings though, but RAM is the most common thing for users to upgrade themselves, so it's usually quite accessible.

MushroomGenius

I had to upgrade my power supply to install my video card. The power supply that was included was only rated at 220w, the card required 350w I think. I went with a bit more, using a 700w power supply that was also "80 Plus Bronze" certified, more efficient power, less waste. At least that was my understanding of it and my justification for spending a bit more.

Though as Morgan stated above, if the Nvidia card is offered at only $100, may well be worth it, especially if you're not comfortable installing it yourself. I have no clue as far as the performance out of it though.

I'm currently running on just 4GB RAM, works okay, you should be fine with 6GB. It is something I will upgrade in the future though, just had to get the rest of the stuff locked down before I could expense another $50-70+ Shipping.

Oh and previously, when I mentioned, "it could not play Skyrim with the onboard chip," it literally cannot load. The game won't even really attempt to. So yeah, it's not like you'd be playing with clipping animation and stuff, you literally CANNOT PLAY.

Clevdawg15

it was on sale on steam so to heck with it and i did buy it. It loaded :):) and worked but alas it only works well on low, anything above lags and clips. Its playable and pretty much the same as my xbox version so i dont care as much about that. Im hoping, however, that i could download some mods and keep this standerd

MushroomGenius

it was on sale on steam so to heck with it and i did buy it. It loaded :):) and worked but alas it only works well on low, anything above lags and clips. Its playable and pretty much the same as my xbox version so i dont care as much about that. Im hoping, however, that i could download some mods and keep this standerd

Wow, nice! I'm surprised to say the least.

Morgan

Ah, sorry. I thought you were describing a system you planned to buy, not one you'd already bought. I'm glad it works!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts