• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

lvillefan

is this a serious question? Who in there right mind would prefer oblivion over skyrim?

What is more fun about oblivion?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
is this a serious question? Who in there right mind would prefer oblivion over skyrim?

What is more fun about oblivion?

What is more fun about Oblivion? Well, let's see. I personally enjoyed the Main Quest of Oblivion much more than the one of Skyrim. I like the Dark Brotherhood questline slightly more than Skyrim's. And The Fighter's Guild is way better than The Companions. Just because Oblivion is older, doesn't make it in inferior. Look at it this way, if it wasn't for the older Elder Scroll games, there would be no Skyrim.

Grelod The Kind

Oblivion just seems so repetitive. Like, even if I'm doing this questline or whatever for the first time. It seems really repetitive. If you're doing Arena, for example, it seems like the same boring fight over and over again... You know?

Skyrim, on the other hand, has a much more spontaneous atmosphere. Even if I'm doing a questline *again*, it's easy to become engaged in the lore and in the gameplay. You know?

Some of Oblivion's graphics I dislike. It seems cartoonish and... My least favorite detail is the teeth. Blah. However, Skyrim's graphics are very bleak... And the hair looks terrible.

I'm somehow more comfortable in Skyrim than in Cyrodiil. I just feel like Skyrim is more familiar to me over Cyrodiil, regardless of race. I guess that's maybe since Skyrim was my first Elder Scrolls game?

I'm on Team Skyrim, but Oblivion is nice when I want to mix things up.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
That's because the Arena questline is the same fight over and over again, with some changes to the fight. But, go into the Main Quest or Dark Brotherhood questline and it's far from repetitive.

EleanorUnicorn

I made a thread about this a while back, it's somewhere in Oblivion discussion and the comments are pretty detailed, people making comparisons between the two games :) Personally, I prefer Oblivion. The whole feel of the game, the mystery, the atmosphere, the region of Cyrodil, the cities, the houses, the questlines.. Skyrims graphics, world, dragons and game in general = amazing. But Oblivion just feels more special, more magic. I played it (pretty much every day) for more than 3 years and I know for a fact I still didn't discover everything the game had to offer. Obviously Skyrim has improved on many things, especially graphics, and has lots of OMG moments.. but Oblivion will always have a special place in my heart, simply because it was AMAZING, like another world on a disk <3

Xarnac

Yeah, the previous games definitely have more "magic". More spells, more effects, more freedom, and more customization through spell creation. A feature that has been in every ES game, but absent from Skyrim. For shame Beth, for shame.

ChevyGirl

Breton Assassin Lv 35
What is more fun about Oblivion? Well, let's see. I personally enjoyed the Main Quest of Oblivion much more than the one of Skyrim. I like the Dark Brotherhood questline slightly more than Skyrim's. And The Fighter's Guild is way better than The Companions. Just because Oblivion is older, doesn't make it in inferior. Look at it this way, if it wasn't for the older Elder Scroll games, there would be no Skyrim.

+1,000,000 lol

Skyrim. This game has been far and away THE most fun i've had exploring in ANY game. There were many times I was traveling along one trail in the mountains, and then I happened to have caught a faint hint of what might be another trail and would HAVE to see where it went. Despite it leading off in a direction that wasn't my destination. I don't get that wanderlust in Cyrodiil, because you can make it to a waypoint by just traveling in a straight line, in Skyrim- you have to negotiate the mountain trails and the in- game map only gives you a general idea of what direction you need to travel.

The Civil War storyline in this game is incredible. I cant remember any storyline in a videogame being anywhere near as contentious. It's going to be debated for years to come. The vigor its debated with online seems to rival that of actual RL political discussions. I LOVE seeing people quote directly from in- game books to support their argument! I doubt that they realize how caught up theyve gotten in the debate. it. is. sick. This thread already has 500+ replies and is still going strong. Imperials or Stormcloaks, what one? | Page 26 | Skyrim Forums

I was conflicted myself, for days. When I made my choice it was great! In most games you fight for loot, xp. This game made me fight for a cause!

This is too long already, but just briefly- perks, dual- wielding, kill cams. fun. Oblivion was great, but Skyrim is truly, truly special. Enjoy my wall of text!

Grelod The Kind

Skyrim. This game has been far and away THE most fun i've had exploring in ANY game. There were many times I was traveling along one trail in the mountains, and then I happened to have caught a faint hint of what might be another trail and would HAVE to see where it went. Despite it leading off in a direction that wasn't my destination. I don't get that wanderlust in Cyrodiil, because you can make it to a waypoint by just traveling in a straight line, in Skyrim- you have to negotiate the mountain trails and the in- game map only gives you a general idea of what direction you need to travel.

The Civil War storyline in this game is incredible. I cant remember any storyline in a videogame being anywhere near as contentious. It's going to be debated for years to come. The vigor its debated with online seems to rival that of actual RL political discussions. I LOVE seeing people quote directly from in- game books! I doubt that they realize how caught up theyve gotten in the discussion. it. is. sick. This thread already has 500+ replies and is still going strong. Imperials or Stormcloaks, what one? | Page 26 | Skyrim Forums

I was conflicted myself, for days. When I made my choice it was great! In most games you fight for loot, xp. This game made me fight for a cause!

This is too long already, but just briefly- perks, dual- wielding, kill cams. fun. Oblivion was great, but Skyrim is truly, truly special. Enjoy my wall of text!

I'd just like to point out that your post wasn't particularly long.We here at Skyrim Forums LIKE longer posts as they give us something to think about. And, you know, single-sentence posts are boring.

mokz

Skyrim beeing newer its a bit better in game mechanics and because of that the mods also have a great potential in skyrim but when i'm thinking at the story behind a quest/faction/npc i find Oblivion better

VonCrown

Daggerfall. What? I can't? Okay, fine. Morrowind. Really? Has to be those two?

Well, okay. The two both have their pros and cons to me. Oblivion did a lot that pulled away from Morrowind stylistically, and I feel that Skyrim did step back towards Morrowind in some ways in that regard. It's hard to place my finger on exactly, but it's a god feeling I get about Skyrim. In most ways, really, I think I prefer Skyrim. But at the same time, it has some -glaring- issues that really bug me, first and foremost how much more EMPTY it feels. All the guilds have only one building, half the 'cities' are a handful of shacks, a third of the map is samey boring snowfields. That's one thing that bugs me. Another is just how floatey movement feels, especially on horseback. I can't count how many times I've been riding down a very mild slope only to have my horse shoot off because it's movement speed apparantly surpassed the curvature of the earth + gravity, causing me to go hurtling down a mountain and die.

On the other hand, I like Skyrim's main story more than Oblivion's by... a lot. Oblivion's main quest felt like an MMO storyline, where your character isn't even related to the plot, they just happen to be the guy capable of kicking the most ass who happens to be around to do the plot character's dirty work. Now I'll grant the whole 'Chosen one' thing is not something I'm terribly fond of, but I'll take it over being completely incidental to the entire story. Tldr of this paragraph, I felt like Martin was the 'main character' of Oblivion. Which is kind of bad writing for a video game, I think.

Oh, another thing that bugged me about Skyrim- the master-level destruction spells are hilariously impractical most of the time. They're so slow, -and- two of the three are aoes centered on the caster, -and- you can't move while casting them... And on top of that, the damage they deal is hardly worth the hassle. I usually just stick to spamming dual-cast fireballs.

Oh, and a pretty major thing that bugged me- I'm not really crazy about the entirety of how equipping things to a hand was implemented. Dual-wielding may be in the game, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to make it remotely effective when you can't even block with it and you don't have a lot of options for evading attacks. Likewise, I feel like mixing melee and magic (my normal character build) is pretty weak without constantly using favorites to switch. The thing is, I feel like a lot of headache could have been saved by having a block key instead of right mouse button being block. And then you could have worked in something else interesting with right mouse button where it does do block right now. Like possibly two different types of attacks with two-handed weapons or something.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts