Skyrim Just Won't Work :(

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

zF_Reaper

My Skyrim (Steam) just does not comply with my commands. When I load it up, it gets through the Bethesda logo and I can load up my save-but when I load up my save and a loading screen comes up, it randomly closes/crashes halfway through. Now I have deleted and unsubscribed to every single mod I have and gone through the S.T.E.P. teams 20 step gide to uninstalling mods (except for the last few steps which I couldn't locate) which can be found here. I just don't know where else to turn or what to do. Please reply on how I can fix this and if you need more information to tell me what I need to do. I have 4g RAM with Intel Core Processor i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2501 Mhz, 2 Cores, 4 Logical Processors whatever the hell that all means. It's an ASUS laptop btw. (Windows 8)

FAST reply please.

zF_Reaper

Okay I was able to get Steam to validate the Integrity of the Game cache so thats loading but in case that doesnt work still please do reply.

zF_Reaper

Okay the Validation said that one file did not match and will be reacquired so if somebody could also inform me as to what that means as well that'd be great. Current state: Not working.

zF_Reaper

I'd really just like for at least one person to please reply, still not working and I have asked the same thing on like 2 other websites and nobody is replying, getting frustrated now.

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
Deleting/uninstalling mods can actually be counterproductive as they may leave behind orphaned scripts or the game may call upon something that isn't there and crash.

Did you do anything out of the norm before this started happening?

Also, have you tried loading older save files? I've found that sometimes Skyrim will not really want to load a save file for no apparent reason and require that I load an earlier or otherwise different save and then load the save I want to play after that.

zF_Reaper

Thank you Shenzi for replying.

What I found:
Before this started happening, I saved the game with a modded spell in my hand, along with modded armor. Then after I left I decided that I didn't want those anymore so I deleted the mods for them. This pretty much destroyed the save.

So I spent about three hours trying to restore the game before I finally decided oh, lets try another save.

So I loaded a save about three saves back and nope, didn't work.

Then I just gave up. And tryed getting it back again after I saw your post. So I loaded one about 12 saves back and it worked!

I am very glad to see that my Skyrim is now up and running again and I thank you for your help.

Though I am very upset that I could not recover my latest save and must redo a large portion of a Thieve's Guild Quest.

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
Good to hear you at least didn't lose everything!

It's possible that you could reinstall the mod(s) that the armor and spell are from, load an earlier save, and then load the save that wouldn't work. Might be worth trying.

zF_Reaper

Good to hear you at least didn't lose everything!

It's possible that you could reinstall the mod(s) that the armor and spell are from, load an earlier save, and then load the save that wouldn't work. Might be worth trying.
Will do! Thanks for the help! I have no further statements.

Dallas-Arbiter

I was having the exact same problems, I would have to attempt to load a game up to 10 times before it would work, I couldn't travel in certain areas, the entire Reach would cause crashes and freezes, traveling from Whiterun to Ivarstead, right after Valthiem Towers, the game would crash. Every. Single. Time.

So, I decided to try out BOSS finally. When I ran BOSS, it said that every master file from Bethesda, from Update.ESM, to Dragonborn.ESM needed to be cleaned with TES5Edit. So I went and got TES5Edit from the Nexus, and watched the link provided in BOSS to learn how to clean the masters.

Come to find out, Bethesda doesn't even bother cleaning their master files before they release them. Gopher (in the tutorial video) mentions that it's ok if you're not running mods, but if you are, then it tends to screw up the game. How bad is it? Dawnguard has hundreds of bad, dirty edits.

So after following along with the tutorial, I cleaned every masterfile. Before I cleaned them, I could play about 20 or so minutes before the game froze or crashed. After cleaning the masters, I played for 4 hours straight. No freezes, no crashes. It's very stable, it even helped my performance a little.

I'll even provide the links to everything.
BOSS: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/6
TES5Edit: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/25859
TES5Edit Tutorial:

Now then, if you decide to get the new patch, or the next patch, a DLC, or even validating your game, you'll have to clean all the masters again (except for Skyrim.ESM, you don't want to fool around with that one).

If no one believes me about Bethesda not cleaning their own master files, watch the video.

So, I decided to try out BOSS finally. When I ran BOSS, it said that every master file from Bethesda, from Update.ESM, to Dragonborn.ESM needed to be cleaned with TES5Edit. So I went and got TES5Edit from the Nexus, and watched the link provided in BOSS to learn how to clean the masters.

that's true but cleaning the master files is a long and tedious work, and you have to learn first how to

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
With the issue I was having (or still have?) I thought to give TES5Edit a try but... yeah. You have to learn first how to, and even I was way too overwhelmed to figure it out and just said 'screw it' and loaded an older save.

Dallas-Arbiter

that's true but cleaning the master files is a long and tedious work, and you have to learn first how to

It only took me about 25 or 30 minutes total to clean Update.ESM, Dawnguard.ESM, Hearthfires.ESM, Dragonborn.ESM, and my own mod that uses Dragonborn.

I followed along with the Tutorial video, and it was a piece of cake. TES5Edit does all the cleaning for you. Just follow the video. It's not brain surgery.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts