• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

I can honestly say that

• skyrim is nothing but a constant "mirage" with no actual fun to be had

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Just over that hill dovahkin... just a little farther... when you reach it you will finally start having fun... still not having fun?...well, just turn in this one last quest and maybe youll finally start having fun... still not having fun?...restart the game using a warrior class... the game should be pretty straighforward and fun... just stick to the main quest ... still not having fun?... ...try farming for hours doing a craft or exploiting a money or xp glitch...still not having fun?...its been 200 hundred hours... still havent beaten the game?...still not having fun?..."

I do have credibility to my thoughts as I have put many many hours into skyrim, and all of bethesda's games for that matter.
A few months ago I had put down skyrim after I got tired of it. Like everyone else, skyrim was one of those games I was really hyped for. Unlike everyone else though, Im not still fooling myself that skyrim is a great game. Recently I have picked it up again and I find myself tiring of it for the same reasons as before. Ive found skyrim isn't a fun game at all. You play the game with the motivation to keep going being that the game will eventually start getting fun. Instead, your met with empty promises, again and again.

The biggest problem, leveling. In skyrim you level skills by using them. While this seems ingenius and also simple enough, it doesnt work. This faulty mechanic was no doubt implemented into skyrim to make it more realistic. That is an absurd reason given the problem it creates in exchange for this so called "realism". The problem with this leveling is that if I want to say, use archery or magic for enemies I cannot reach with my sword, I can't (or shouldnt) because that will make my character weaker, as the skill points are being divided between the skills. Remember that enemies level up with you, so you have to be careful about what you are leveling up. Since you can't use offense skills at the same time, your dps is effectively whatever your highest offense skill is, and any other offensive skill you use alongside that takes away from that dps. Your going to become increasingly weaker as you level up if you dont be careful about what you level.

So basically what I am saying, is that when you use defensive skills together or offensive skills together, your weakening your character greatly, meaning if you know this, you will avoid certain skills like the plague. It's ridiculous that I can't wear any kind of armor because I wish to be proficient in alteration. This is a painful problem in skyrim. To note, this problem doesnt apply to crafting (and certain other skills like sneak+illusion), as you can effectively combine all three skills into your items and character.

Changing the level system to that of fallout would have prevented players from being able to exploit the game or farm, and rather force them to go out and actually do quests. It would also allow players to make their character exactly how they want, consequently preventing the player from experiencing dreadful underleveling. It would allow players to actually play the way they want (ironic considering that was the slogan the production team was advocating the leveling system with). If I want to switch over to a bow to deal damage to a far away enemy, I shouldnt have to worry that it will make me weaker in the long run, and I shouldnt have to avoid wearing armor or using alteration for that same reason.

Unnecessary tediousness. Removing repair from TES was a good start, but there's still plenty of inconveniences that act as huge time sinks. Sure, giving shopkeepers a finite amount of cash and goods (and an albeit small amount at that) with which to trade for your loot makes the game more realistic, but it also makes the game extremely frustrating and much, much more time consuming. Aside from realism, the developers other reason for implementing this system was probably to prevent players from exploiting the game, but alas it does not as we've clearly seen on youtube. Maybe players wouldnt feel like exploiting the game if doing something else like questing, actually felt worthwhile, because instead of simply providing the player the means to use their skills on enemies, it would instead give them xp. Also, walking everywhere takes up a large amount of time in the game. Riding horses does not remedy this problem. Fast travel doesnt really help much either. Other than that, there's mounds of other little inconveniences. When soultrapping things, you have no idea if it's going to accidentally go into the wrong crystal and potentially waste your well earned capital. Also managing these crystals along with the thousands of miscallaneous items you have in your inventory is boring to the point of physical exhaustion.

Oh, and dont even get me started on town navigation. I get lost all the time. About the only place I know where anything is is whiterun. Why are'nt trainers, shops, and quest givers on your map? Was that excluded for the sake of realism as well? Well it sucks. At the very least you should be able to put map markers locally, but for some reason the developers specifically prevent us from doing that... perhaps for the sake of realism? If I could simply go into my map, go to the local map and mark the specific shop I want to go to the problem with that would be greatly lessened. But then you have to remember where to find trainers, which is basically impossible unless you get luck and run into someone. When you actually do know where a specific trainer that you need is, for example the college of winterhold, you still need to go on a little easter egg hunt on the local level every time, because they dont like staying in the same place. Also, the training limit is stupid. If at the beginning of the game you never use training, but now your level 30 and have the resources to do so, the five per level training limit is still there. The huge exponentially increasing amount of money per level it takes to train alone isnt enough? You have to include some stupid training limit? Its not needed in the first place, but the training limit should at least add up as you level up.

Sure, the game is immense and "awesome"... about as awesome as double size soda that has been watered down to compensate. Someone told me the game seems to have about 6 different voice actors. I realized that I also feel this way. Im sick of; every storekeeper telling me in the same voice that all his wares are treasures, every blacksmith telling me that he wishes to compete with the skyforge, it goes on. Geographically (and not to mention graphically) the game is simply stunning. Environments are pretty unique and interesting. Actually, only some are. Like oblivion, some dungeons are very, very similar. Throughout the game it's as if you're having frequent deja vu. You kill some bandit lord, only to come across another similar sounding and looking bandit lord. And the randomized quests... was that really necessary? In this huge time sucking black hole of a game, were randomized quests really something that needed to be added? I never did the miscallaneous quests unless it was something important. There's simply so much more to do than waste your time playing fetch. There's little variety of weapons and armors as well.

It's beyond late for any of these problems to be fixed for skyrim, but maybe the developers will take these things to heart for their next TES game and also for Fallout 4, or maybe a modder will attempt to address these issues.

Ironically, I will probably still end up playing skyrim if I dont end up selling it... I wonder if Ill ever get around to beating it... just gotta plunder this one last dungeon... make an insignificant amount of gain from it... though thats okay, because my speech and crafts will be higher in time... then the game will be fun... then it will be fun...

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
I disagree.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
I don't know if this is an elaborate troll but if it's not then you simply have an incredibly poor grasp of the game mechanics and content of Skyrim which might explain why the content of your post displays a vast amount of ignorance, flawed analysis and poorly drawn conclusions.

I second that disagreement. But I do applaud you for having the courage to post such a thing in a place where you can only possibly recieve negative comments toward your hard work. Good day sir.

Maybe trolling? Or maybe you are playing the wrong game?

EDIT: Just sayin, I doubt Skyrim would recieve multiple Game of the Year awards from multiple reviewers if it was no fun at all. But that in your negative-review pipe and smoke it.

Train

Is that all you got?!
I call Troll. However, it's a well thought out one. Darn! They've gotten smart...this one must be a Frost Troll.:D

How does one get lost in the towns? If anything I wish they were slightly larger. Time consuming? Really? Its TES...that spells time consuming, I'm pretty sure, let me check...yep, under "time consuming" they have a picture of each TES up to date...

You, sir, bought the wrong game methinks. ;) Let's not hate on him too hard though, Elder Scrolls isn't for everyone, and last I checked opinion is still legal.

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
TES and time consuming are like bread and butter. Maybe you'd be happier with Angry Birds?

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I also found some towns difficult to navigate, particularly Markarth because there's an elevation issue that no 2D map can solve. I found the mapping in general to be disappointing because it was like looking at overlapping xrays of an area rather than an actual map some person might have drawn. I would have liked the ability to zoom in further on the big map as well. I wasted a lot of time walking big circles around cliffs looking for the intended way up to a location.

I do understand some of the frustration with shopkeepers. In the beginning, it wasn't a big deal because things I sold never came close to depleting a merchant. But there is this point where suddenly you're selling smithed gear where you're lucky to get 1 item's worth of payment before you have to move on. I do understand this is a way to balance the economy of the game, but it did make me spend more time engaging in the tedium as opposed to out adventuring or exploring and such. I took all the perks I could in order to raise their gold and have them buy anything. There is another sweet spot you hit when you have enough coin where it's just easier to pick a house and drop all your stuff there just in case you find some reason to spend coin. I'm hoping for a DLC that maybe lets us purchase some more things.

I did not find the skills being tied to leveling to be awful, personally. I also didn't do anything to inflate my skills beyond what was appropriate for my character. I found that even in my first playthrough where I wasn't making "efficient" perk choices, the combat seemed appropriate to my level.

I do think the individual storylines of the NPCs could have had more depth and more branches in the conversation trees. I did not find the game to be overpopulated, however. Everyone seemed to have a place to go and a job to perform in some way and I think they largely added to the mood in each city.

Despite those observations, I continue to find the game enjoyable. There are still many things I have not explored despite having finished the main storyline. While I think the originator of this thread has made some valid points, I can't say that I agree with the conclusion that the game is bad.

redrkt

Premium Member
I disagree with the OP and agree with all the responses as I have well over 2000 hrs in the game now and am still having a blast, sure I have a couple of OP builds but so what......one-shotting dragons in mid flight takes skill and timing and sneaking up on dragon priests is a blast as they flame out from my fav bow Soulshocker (fiery soul trap and shock)

Train

Is that all you got?!
Careful everybody, if it is a troll, let's not feed it. Just saying, lets not get worked up or anything. I find it particularly odd that someone would show up and start blasting away at Skyrim on their first post - and in Skyrim's home base of all places. Generally these things are done somewhere that isn't already filled with fans, there's plenty of forums to post something like this at, why join this one just to leave a bomb? o_O My troll sniffer is activated...

Nameless233

I have opposite arguments for almost every one of ur statements, not to be a smart-ass or anything, as we are all entitled to our own opinion.

Ok, so with leveling, their idea ( I'm thinking ) was that, if u want close to 100 in all ur freaking skills in one file and be like the god of skyrim, it's gonna be a challenge, one that your going to have to suffer through. how else would u increase the, let's say two handed skill? By using a bow? Or magic? Ya that makes sense....... ????? also, I know what ur saying in that it can be sometimes annoying deciding what skill ur going to use to increase that skills level, but in my file now I am using a bunch of skills ( illusion, sneak, one handed, archery, light armor, a bit of alchemy etc...) to take down my enemies in a combination of ways.

With the alteration-armor thing, this is used so u can't get full daedric, legendary, beast warrior gear with like a 580 armor rating, and then use ebony flesh in alteration with 3x effectiveness and have an added 300 armor rating, with one spell cast, giving u 880 armor level without using potions!

Town navigation I found, well easy to say the least. Whenever I found a new town for the first time ever, I took a 10 minute walk around just to see the layout of the town and what was there, and I got it, and remembered it, pretty fast. As train said above, I would have liked for the towns to be bigger! Same thing with the trainers, they actually usually are in the same place as always and the train limit is put in place because u shouldnt be able to go from fifty to 100 in any skill by pressing the A button.

And with the misselanious quests, u realize no one is physically making u do them right? U can do whatever the heck u want in skyrim.... Kind of part of the idea....

And also, u don't HAVE to play the game either, cuz u really seem to dislike it...

Rathalos_lord_of_the_sky

-Bnahabra King-
"Just over that hill dovahkin... just a little farther... when you reach it you will finally start having fun... still not having fun?...well, just turn in this one last quest and maybe youll finally start having fun... still not having fun?...restart the game using a warrior class... the game should be pretty straighforward and fun... just stick to the main quest ... still not having fun?... ...try farming for hours doing a craft or exploiting a money or xp glitch...still not having fun?...its been 200 hundred hours... still havent beaten the game?...still not having fun?..."

I do have credibility to my thoughts as I have put many many hours into skyrim, and all of bethesda's games for that matter.
A few months ago I had put down skyrim after I got tired of it. Like everyone else, skyrim was one of those games I was really hyped for. Unlike everyone else though, Im not still fooling myself that skyrim is a great game. Recently I have picked it up again and I find myself tiring of it for the same reasons as before. Ive found skyrim isn't a fun game at all. You play the game with the motivation to keep going being that the game will eventually start getting fun. Instead, your met with empty promises, again and again.

The biggest problem, leveling. In skyrim you level skills by using them. While this seems ingenius and also simple enough, it doesnt work. This faulty mechanic was no doubt implemented into skyrim to make it more realistic. That is an absurd reason given the problem it creates in exchange for this so called "realism". The problem with this leveling is that if I want to say, use archery or magic for enemies I cannot reach with my sword, I can't (or shouldnt) because that will make my character weaker, as the skill points are being divided between the skills. Remember that enemies level up with you, so you have to be careful about what you are leveling up. Since you can't use offense skills at the same time, your dps is effectively whatever your highest offense skill is, and any other offensive skill you use alongside that takes away from that dps. Your going to become increasingly weaker as you level up if you dont be careful about what you level.

So basically what I am saying, is that when you use defensive skills together or offensive skills together, your weakening your character greatly, meaning if you know this, you will avoid certain skills like the plague. It's ridiculous that I can't wear any kind of armor because I wish to be proficient in alteration. This is a painful problem in skyrim. To note, this problem doesnt apply to crafting (and certain other skills like sneak+illusion), as you can effectively combine all three skills into your items and character.

Changing the level system to that of fallout would have prevented players from being able to exploit the game or farm, and rather force them to go out and actually do quests. It would also allow players to make their character exactly how they want, consequently preventing the player from experiencing dreadful underleveling. It would allow players to actually play the way they want (ironic considering that was the slogan the production team was advocating the leveling system with). If I want to switch over to a bow to deal damage to a far away enemy, I shouldnt have to worry that it will make me weaker in the long run, and I shouldnt have to avoid wearing armor or using alteration for that same reason.

Unnecessary tediousness. Removing repair from TES was a good start, but there's still plenty of inconveniences that act as huge time sinks. Sure, giving shopkeepers a finite amount of cash and goods (and an albeit small amount at that) with which to trade for your loot makes the game more realistic, but it also makes the game extremely frustrating and much, much more time consuming. Aside from realism, the developers other reason for implementing this system was probably to prevent players from exploiting the game, but alas it does not as we've clearly seen on youtube. Maybe players wouldnt feel like exploiting the game if doing something else like questing, actually felt worthwhile, because instead of simply providing the player the means to use their skills on enemies, it would instead give them xp. Also, walking everywhere takes up a large amount of time in the game. Riding horses does not remedy this problem. Fast travel doesnt really help much either. Other than that, there's mounds of other little inconveniences. When soultrapping things, you have no idea if it's going to accidentally go into the wrong crystal and potentially waste your well earned capital. Also managing these crystals along with the thousands of miscallaneous items you have in your inventory is boring to the point of physical exhaustion.

Oh, and dont even get me started on town navigation. I get lost all the time. About the only place I know where anything is is whiterun. Why are'nt trainers, shops, and quest givers on your map? Was that excluded for the sake of realism as well? Well it sucks. At the very least you should be able to put map markers locally, but for some reason the developers specifically prevent us from doing that... perhaps for the sake of realism? If I could simply go into my map, go to the local map and mark the specific shop I want to go to the problem with that would be greatly lessened. But then you have to remember where to find trainers, which is basically impossible unless you get luck and run into someone. When you actually do know where a specific trainer that you need is, for example the college of winterhold, you still need to go on a little easter egg hunt on the local level every time, because they dont like staying in the same place. Also, the training limit is stupid. If at the beginning of the game you never use training, but now your level 30 and have the resources to do so, the five per level training limit is still there. The huge exponentially increasing amount of money per level it takes to train alone isnt enough? You have to include some stupid training limit? Its not needed in the first place, but the training limit should at least add up as you level up.

Sure, the game is immense and "awesome"... about as awesome as double size soda that has been watered down to compensate. Someone told me the game seems to have about 6 different voice actors. I realized that I also feel this way. Im sick of; every storekeeper telling me in the same voice that all his wares are treasures, every blacksmith telling me that he wishes to compete with the skyforge, it goes on. Geographically (and not to mention graphically) the game is simply stunning. Environments are pretty unique and interesting. Actually, only some are. Like oblivion, some dungeons are very, very similar. Throughout the game it's as if you're having frequent deja vu. You kill some bandit lord, only to come across another similar sounding and looking bandit lord. And the randomized quests... was that really necessary? In this huge time sucking black hole of a game, were randomized quests really something that needed to be added? I never did the miscallaneous quests unless it was something important. There's simply so much more to do than waste your time playing fetch. There's little variety of weapons and armors as well.

It's beyond late for any of these problems to be fixed for skyrim, but maybe the developers will take these things to heart for their next TES game and also for Fallout 4, or maybe a modder will attempt to address these issues.

Ironically, I will probably still end up playing skyrim if I dont end up selling it... I wonder if Ill ever get around to beating it... just gotta plunder this one last dungeon... make an insignificant amount of gain from it... though thats okay, because my speech and crafts will be higher in time... then the game will be fun... then it will be fun...

If you're not having fun you're not playing it right.

Lord of the shoutbox,
Rathalos, W, Lord

perkecet

why does he act like the leveling in skyrim is some insane experimental idea? oblivion worked in a similar way. didn't fallout 3 as well?

Rathalos_lord_of_the_sky

-Bnahabra King-
In explaination:
It's a video game. It's what you want it to be. Games are ment to entertain us, scare us, excite us, and leave us in awe. With videogames you can go places you won't ever be able to go. I'll never be able to save the universe from a mass extinction. I'll never be able to assasinate red coat soldiers. I'll never be able to use my vioce to blow plops across the world. But with videogames... I can! Thats what they're ment to do, but just like life you do to much of something it becomes boring. Take a break... Not a one day break take a loooong break like at least a month then come back and try it out. Diffrently though. Do things that youy wouldnt normally do. Mix it up a little. And if that doesn't work don't get on skyrim forums and complain about it. ;)

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
Wow, you aren't the first person to come here & have a whinge about how poorly the game is & I doubt you will be the last.

Well I can honestly say I have nothing but fun in Skyrim. I have logged over 2300 hours in 21 weeks & I am still having fun. I'm curious & I have to ask this question.....

Just how many did you put into Skyrim to come to your conclusion?

You reckon you have been gaming a long time, well Sonny, I started gaming long before you were even a itch in your Daddy's pants. I actually started out creating games & writing programs then moved into playing games & creating Mods for those games. I was heavily involved with First Person Shooter PC Games like the whole Delta Force Series & the Joint Operations Series before I moved from PC to Console gaming. One of the most modded games that I had a lot to do with was the PC Game Pirates of the Caribbean. I have invested 10's of 1000's of hours into that game so that 100's of 1000's of people can have enjoyment & POTC doesn't even come close to Skyrim on any level.

It always amuses me when someone like you comes along & tries to give a bad review to a game that took out the Game Of The Year for 2011 less than a month after it's release.

In conclusion, I just like to add this....

Maybe the concepts of a game of Skyrim's calibre are beyond you & if you are finding it too hard then I suggest you maybe try one of the Scooby Doo games, or a simple puzzle game such as Bejewelled or even a game such as Ice age 2 or Shrek 2 & 3.

I believe you dropped this while you were here........

Dummy.jpg

Cheers...

Train

Is that all you got?!
why does he act like the leveling in skyrim is some insane experimental idea? oblivion worked in a similar way. didn't fallout 3 as well?

Oblivion was a little different, you had to pick certain things to level up and they'd increase your overall level. Fallout 3 wasn't though, if anything that was the game they used to experiment with this style, I'd say it's perfected in Skyrim.

He still hasn't posted anything else...a hit and run? Not even following up defend his stand? Last thing he viewed was this thread a little over an hour ago...what's that sound, do I hear evil laughter?...

missingno

Article Writer
I think like most things in life, they are boing and a routine we will continue till we die.
The only difference is, are you going to have a good sense of imagination to enjoy yourself?

So if you don't enjoy Skyrim maybe you need more imagination. Play a game to have fun, not judge it for every flaw it has.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
That's what makes Skyrim awesome. That the game requires you to have an imagination. The character you create is a blank slate, and you can come up with a story for your character. Even a back ground story. You create your character's appearance and name them. Decide what skills they are going to excel at. What Guilds/Fractions they will join. It's like you're writing a story, but not actually typing it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.