• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Beodix

Thane of Winterhold & Windhelm, Harbinger
I've built my character as a battle cleric with proficiency in Healing, One Weapon, and Heavy Armor. I love shield bashing my opponents then beating them while they are stunned with either my mace or axe. If I get overrun by a mob I generally use the first shout to blow them back, I'm constantly blocking and weaving in and out of range and quickly alternate between my shield and my healing spell. I had a lot of fun going on a quest with Farkas, he literary destroyed people with his great sword. I remember in an encounter I used a shout on a group of undead which blew them back then Farkas ran in and impaled the monster on his sword lifting it up in the air at the end of his sword. I thought that was pretty cool.

I've also learned that there are many areas and monsters out there in Skyrim that are stronger then me. For instance I was exploring outside of Dragonsreach and found a Giant. I thought if I left him alone I'd be fine but nope, he ran over to me and swatted me with his giant club one-shotting. So the next time I was in his vicinity I kept my distance.

HaxAras

Hahah I Thought I Could Take On A Mamoth When I First Started. Apparently it had Friends.
Since i've Switched My Sword For A Two handed Axe, Beat this bandit Filled gave. I've grown To LV 11 And Am Destroying. Got A New Set of Armor From the Bandit Leader.

I've built my character as a battle cleric with proficiency in Healing, One Weapon, and Heavy Armor. I love shield bashing my opponents then beating them while they are stunned with either my mace or axe. If I get overrun by a mob I generally use the first shout to blow them back, I'm constantly blocking and weaving in and out of range and quickly alternate between my shield and my healing spell. I had a lot of fun going on a quest with Farkas, he literary destroyed people with his great sword. I remember in an encounter I used a shout on a group of undead which blew them back then Farkas ran in and impaled the monster on his sword lifting it up in the air at the end of his sword. I thought that was pretty cool.

I've also learned that there are many areas and monsters out there in Skyrim that are stronger then me. For instance I was exploring outside of Dragonsreach and found a Giant. I thought if I left him alone I'd be fine but nope, he ran over to me and swatted me with his giant club one-shotting. So the next time I was in his vicinity I kept my distance.
I'm pretty much the same but I'm using the Sky forge sword you get from the sky forge on a companion quest, I've improved it a lot so the damage is like 56 or something like that if not higher. I dual cast the heal spell or use fast heal if my life goes critical since its like an instant heal for a majority of your health.

Omni

I find the new combat system similar to the BioWare games like Dragon Age in that most battles I can carve through just about any enemy, then all of a sudden I'm getting beat down easily by a Boss like Morokei. That's what happens when the combat system is too complex. So I did what I've read others do, hide and snipe. What a shame.

I put in a lot of effort getting the best armor and weapons, boosting them, adding the Enchant perks and Smithing perks. Focusing on Destruction and Conjuring. Got Grand enchantments on all my stuff, got a couple homes, got money. But the combat system is a rock in my shoe I can't seem to get out.

In Oblivion, I just clicked the button and let the spell fly. Now I have to click and hold the spell down longer as the magicka draws. Not a big fan of that. People will say that's more realistic. Then what? Fantasy? I also feel sometimes my Ebony sword is missing my enemy more, I have to get more up close and personal. Again, are we trying to be more anal about realism?

I still love the characters and story and overall effort all the developers put into the game. I know it was alot of work. But I don't think combining Oblivion and Fallout turned out like a Reeses Peanut Butter cup. The combat system is clunky, its unforgiving and more enemy-oriented than player-oriented.

I've been playing RPGs for a LONG time, and this is disappointing since I'm a big TES (Todd Howard) fan. I'm sure others have made due, but I sure wish it was different. I know, dumb the difficult down... What a shame.

I find the new combat system similar to the BioWare games like Dragon Age in that most battles I can carve through just about any enemy, then all of a sudden I'm getting beat down easily by a Boss like Morokei. That's what happens when the combat system is too complex. So I did what I've read others do, hide and snipe. What a shame.

I put in a lot of effort getting the best armor and weapons, boosting them, adding the Enchant perks and Smithing perks. Focusing on Destruction and Conjuring. Got Grand enchantments on all my stuff, got a couple homes, got money. But the combat system is a rock in my shoe I can't seem to get out.

In Oblivion, I just clicked the button and let the spell fly. Now I have to click and hold the spell down longer as the magicka draws. Not a big fan of that. People will say that's more realistic. Then what? Fantasy? I also feel sometimes my Ebony sword is missing my enemy more, I have to get more up close and personal. Again, are we trying to be more anal about realism?

I still love the characters and story and overall effort all the developers put into the game. I know it was alot of work. But I don't think combining Oblivion and Fallout turned out like a Reeses Peanut Butter cup. The combat system is clunky, its unforgiving and more enemy-oriented than player-oriented.

I've been playing RPGs for a LONG time, and this is disappointing since I'm a big TES (Todd Howard) fan. I'm sure others have made due, but I sure wish it was different. I know, dumb the difficult down... What a shame.

Really...? I've not had to turn down the difficulty even once. And I really don't understand how the combat system is clunky? It's a hell of a lot more in depth and realistic which is what Bethesda has been aiming for from the start with the series. It continues to grow and become more like real life which is what actually sucks you in. Not trying to mean but it just sounds like your being lazy? And what's more lazy then sitting down on a couch or bed pushing buttons? It's really not that hard to hold down the button to cast a spell. If your having that much difficulty then I think either the TES series is not for you, or your not playing a style of character that your comfortable with. As for getting up close and personal, what? do you think ur going to stand 5 or 10 feet back and be able to hit your enemy with your sword? Common? seriously? Combat is all about being in close.. specially with a sword.

Omni

The title of this thread is "Skyrim is really hard". Did I post in the wrong place? Or did you?

Did you actually read the first post of the title of the thread? Or did you just come to post? The game is meant to be challenging, if it was easy what would be the point of playing it?

Omni

Gotta love the PR guys policing the threads. Sorry for having an adverse opinion about Skyrim. I'm wrong and Skyrim is completely fine. Accept my apologies.

Renegader

Administrator
Staff member
I don't find Skyrim too hard, but as mentioned earlier enemies don't level with you which means if you venture out into the wilderness you may encounter enemies which are extremely difficult to kill, but if you follow the main questline slowly (while completing side quests) and levelling up once in a while, you should be able to kill enemies fairly easily (with the exception of bosses and random enemies).

And guys, please don't argue! This forum is meant for friendly discussion of the game. :)

demujin

I finished that quest recently, and I found Morokei to be a difficult boss, probably the most difficult one I have faced thus far. However, in regards to him beating you down easily in relation to the other enemies in that dungeon... well he is a boss. And you get some pretty good loot from him too. I loved the fact that they made him so powerful.

vincent

SC2: DudeMan 346
@Omni - How are you able to invest in bow, sneak, smithing, enchanting, armor and whatever else it is you are putting your perks in? It sounds to me like your trying too hard to be the jack of all trades. I've been nearly exclusive with shield, heavy armor and restoration. Dabbling occassionaly into a solar system that is convenient, ex: one-handed, lockpicking. I'm barely scraping by on some boss battles even then.

I'm curious about how you run and hide though. I've never been able to get away from an enemy unless I'm in the wilds. It's always been a fight or die situation in my experience. Turn your back and they get a free shot on you.

Gotta love the PR guys policing the threads. Sorry for having an adverse opinion about Skyrim. I'm wrong and Skyrim is completely fine. Accept my apologies.
Not Policing threads, just sharing my opinion about what you posted and you decided to cop an attitude bud.

Onyx

Hi had the same issue when I started out as a Sword and Shield, got owned. Main reason was I was not thinking, just rushing in :) Changed to a spell sword type char and much better as I have a ranged option now (spell in Left and Sword in R) when coming up against heavy hitters like Trolls and death sentences like Giants and Mammoths (Had to team up with a Dragon to take down 1 giant!).

I do not have much experience with 2H style, tried it a bit. I would suggest that you use the longer range of the 2H weapons to your advantage, so try stay outside your oppoents range, whack em, move away (backtrack, sprint etc) and rinse and repeat, basically close in, swing, rush out etc.

Also you can block and bash with a 2H wep as well that can be useful in certain instances. To bash, press Right Hand Attack while holding down the block button and your char will smack your foe in the face with the butt of your weapon. Staggers them and gives you a chance to gain some distance or smack em again, but this does cost a decent amount of Stamina so might want to improve that as well.

Hope this helps some

Onyx

Sounds a bit similar to my first character which was a Sword/Shield type. Got owned alot, but I think the main reason was because I was spreading my stats (levling up a lot of different ones) and perks to thinly. I think the trick is to pick 3 cores stats (In my case why new char it was Destruction, H.Armor and 1H) and focus on those. Since leveling up is very easy (selling to a shot increasing stats) I use most of my money on skill trainers for those three stats so they form the majority of my increased stats per level.

I have found this kind of focus is paying off, but it is hard the first time you play as you (at least I) one to try everything!

That being said, certain enermies are still damn tough, like Giants and Mammoths (they kill me v. quickly) and Trolls and Sabers hit like a sledgehammer but I can defeat them (but it is hard).

So to sum up my blabbering reply might be worth maybe trying a new char that focuses on the Conjuration, Destruction and 1H (I assume that is your current play style?) and maybe the Armor type you are using (Heavy/Light) and invest your perks into those and try to controll your level up in the begining (smithing will level you up fast but not improve your core skills you need for fighting).

Just a suggestion from a guy still learning (and dying) a lot but having a blast!

Timett

o_O
Does adjusting the difficulty impact the experience gained from combat in any way?

I recently put the difficulty back down to Adept after having my ass handed to me by a couple Necromancers - and later some Daedric mages - on The Black Star quest.

Onyx

Does adjusting the difficulty impact the experience gained from combat in any way?

I recently put the difficulty back down to Adept after having my ass handed to me by a couple Necromancers - and later some Daedric mages - on The Black Star quest.

I do not think so. By experience I assume you mean the rate of which your skills increase? I think this depends on your level more (i.e the higher the level the longer it takes a skill, such as 1 hand to increase).

One thing to consider though is that on higher difficulty levels enermies are tougher, which means they take more hits/magic to kill which means you will use more which means you get more "xp" per kill than on lower difficulties. Of course that is mute if you are getting killed.

So in short, I do not believe it effects it directly.

SaveVsBedWet

Giants and mammoths actually attack you guys? I'm at level 9 now (which is nothing in comparison but still took some hours) and I've walked right by every mammoth I've encountered. I've even seen it where giants looked like they were herding the mammoths and nobody did a thing. Stood around with the giants, checked my stocks, lent my Zippo to one guy who got stuck rubbing sticks together, etc. Things didn't get sketchy until we talked about whether Eli was an overrated interception machine who chokes a lot in the playoffs. Bunch of chill dudes really.

LoadZ

Giants/Mammoths attack if they feel threatened.

One time I was fighting a dragon near a Giant/Mammoth nest and killed him and saved their hides, and then they came to rape me.

@Omni- TOTALY agree with you about the combat system being more enemy oriented than player oriented!!! I have that exact same experience, I go through the game and rape every single enemy but then out of nowhere, I'M the one getting raped by Morokei. Really weird. And I just fought these bandits, regular stupid bandit Marauders, I'm level FREAKING 30. And these Bandit Marauders were 1 and 2-hitting me, while it would take me DOZENS of hits to kill them!!! wtf? I'm an uber pwerful level 30 dragonborn assassin/wizard... and some random bandits are like a thousand times stronger than me now?

That was what made Oblivion unplayable for me. Especially the Oblivion gates. Impossible to win. Fallout 3 as well now that I think about it. But Skyrim isn't totally guilty of that, and they've done a better job than any of the past TES games IMO. But the 1st person combat is still kind of a joke in how unforgiving it can be. And the 3rd person combat is borderline unplayable for all the same reasons.

Onyx

Got A Lot Of Good Tips. I Haven't Added A Single perk into Heavy Armor. I've Not Been Playing Much Either Though. Saints Row Came Out And Skyrim Temp lost favor. Back on Topic, My Orchish battleaxe Seems To Take Less Time To Swing. In Turn that Makes It A Lot Easier To Win Some Fights.
Aye speed makes it easier. I think I saw info about there
Swords (1h/2H): Fasted Attack Speed/Lowest Damage -> Perk: Crit Chance
Axes (1H/2H): Medium Attack Speed/Medium Damage -> PerK: Additional Bleed DMG
Maces (1H/2H): Slowest Attack Speed/Highest Damage -> Perk: Armor Penetration

I like how the weapon types are unique and provide different strength/weaknesses