• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

BIGwooly

Im trying to not open any chests, i don't want to get all the good stuff so the game is harder. I feel like this will be an ultimate challenge, im also going by every single hardcore thing listed above. Wish me luck im level 2!

Good luck! You're in for a fun ride!

theoperation

Hero of Jorvasskr
tbh I haven't read this entire forum, but here's what I do...

Wear the armor that relates to the quest you are doing. For example in the civil war, only wear stormcloak/imperial armor for the quest. For companions wear wolf armor. For the blades quests (Dragon slaying with the blades) then wear blades armor. For theives guild wear theives guild. For college quest wear the novice robes until you are arch-mage. etc.

One step further would be to wear only iron armor for the story missions, just like in the Skyrim commercial. You know, this stuff: :Dragonborn:

It feels more real wearing the right armor for the right gig. The first time doing the civil war I was wearing Elven armor. I thought it looked wierd faving a Thalmor fighting for the stormcloaks

I've got plenty of ways to limit my characters, but don't follow complicated lists of rules to make it a completely different game. Most of my characters are unarmored, or lightly armored. Playing a Pure Mage (No Armor, Weapons, 100 Health) is as Hardcore as it needs to be. I don't generally Craft, at all. Eating, and Sleeping every day isn't "Hardcore" it's called Role Play. If you stay in character, you'd realize you've been adventuring for days, and it might be time to stop by an inn. I Save by a bed, instead of a typewriter. Being Well Rested all the time levels you too quickly, and the passage of time doesn't have any effect in game, other than this bonus, so I pay for the room, maybe lay down for an hour, and say to myself you slept all day. I don't level skills I don't actually use to get your level up, and spend it on health so I can tank with even crappy armor. I also run out of combat to use potions, and don't stack stuff like Regeneration until I invulnerable. I don't wait-heal.

I think to myself. Am I making decisions to make yourself unrealistically OP, or to make my game experience more fun? Am I doing things my character would actually do, or Metagaming? You shouldn't have to dial it up to Master to make it fun, and challenging. That setting is pretty much to compensate for Smithing, Enchantment, and other metagaming. The only thing I have to remember is this:

Don't Metagame, instead of metagaming to compensate for metagaming.

BIGwooly

I've got plenty of ways to limit my characters, but don't follow rediculous lists of rules to make it a completely different game. Most of my characters are unarmored, or lightly armored. Playing a Pure Mage (No Armor, Weapons, 100 Health) is as Hardcore as it needs to be. I don't generally Craft, at all. Eating, and Sleeping every day isn't "Hardcore" it's called Role Play. If you stay in character, you'd realize you've been adventuring for days, and it might be time to stop by an inn. Save by a bed, instead of a typewriter. Being Well Rested all the time levels you too quickly, and the passage of time doesn't have any effect in game, other than this bonus, so pay for the room, maybe lay down for an hour, and say to yourself you slept all day. Don't level skills you don't actually use to get your level up, and spend it on health so you can tank with even crappy armor. Run out of combat to use potions, and don't stack stuff like Regeneration until you're invulnerable. Don't wait-heal.

Think. Are you making decisions to make yourself unrealistically OP, or to make your game experience more fun? Are you doing things your character would actually do, or Metagaming? You shouldn't have to dial it up to Master to make it fun, and challenging. That setting is pretty much to compensate for Smithing, Enchantment, and other metagaming. the only thing you have to remember is this:

Don't Metagame, instead of metagaming to compensate for metagaming.

I disagree with you that this is a ridiculous set of rules. Have a nice day.

I disagree with you that this is a ridiculous set of rules. Have a nice day.
All right, poor choice of words. My question is, doesn't it get in the way of Immersion? If I'm thinking about all this stuff, then I'm not thinking about my character, her thoughts, and feelings.

osheao

All right, poor choice of words. My question is, doesn't it get in the way of Immersion? If I'm thinking about all this stuff, then I'm not thinking about my character, her thoughts, and feelings.

this entire thread and rule-set, whatever they may be, is FOR immersion. are you joking?

it's to make up for the poor job bethsoft did with skyrim.

sleep and eat is probably the most basic and simple thing to add to this type of game, but, they didn't even do that right.

"ridiculous lists of rules" ? lol. many of these rules should have already been in the game.

edit: as well, one of the first things i do with a 'list of rules' is study them and know them. i try and get to the point as quickly as possible where i know them inside and out and they are NOT a list of rules. they become a natural part of my character. yes, there's a time where the application is forced and difficult, but, after a bit of time they evolve. the 0% h.u.d., for example.

this entire thread and rule-set, whatever they may be, is FOR immersion. are you joking?

it's to make up for the poor job bethsoft did with skyrim.

sleep and eat is probably the most basic and simple thing to add to this type of game, but, they didn't even do that right.

"ridiculous lists of rules" ? lol. many of these rules should have already been in the game.

edit: as well, one of the first things i do with a 'list of rules' is study them and know them. i try and get to the point as quickly as possible where i know them inside and out and they are NOT a list of rules. they become a natural part of my character. yes, there's a time where the application is forced and difficult, but, after a bit of time they evolve. the 0% h.u.d., for example.
All right, I appologized to BIG wooly, I am NOT going to justify my opinion to YOU. I know, it looked like a sign of weakness, or whatever, but who are you to say what kind of game Betheda makes? Do you work for Bethesda? Are you the only person who plays their games? Is your opinion somehow more important than the thousands of other players who enjoy it without artificial difficulty settings? No, your opinion, and playstyle are yours. Feep them to yourself, or share them politely (If you can.)

DO NOT TELL ME HOW TO PLAY.

mlm

BIGwooly

Within a pretty short period of time this all becomes second nature. It's not like I play with a printed list of rules sitting next to me. The rules just quickly become part of the game and you don't think about it.

And yes, sleeping and eating are NOT hardcore, it is roleplaying. This thread originally started as a list of rules to make the game more challenging, but over time I decided to add the other rules I play by that may be more RP friendly. I'm just sharing the way I play in case others want to try it. You don't have to try it. d;-)

BIGwooly

All right, I appologized to BIG wooly, I am NOT going to justify my opinion to YOU. I know, it looked like a sign of weakness, or whatever, but who are you to say what kind of game Betheda makes? Do you work ofr Bethesda? Are you the only person who plays their games? Is your opinion somehow more important than the thousands of other players who enjoy it without artificial difficulty settings? No, your opinion, and playstyle are your's. keep them to yourself, or share them politiely.

mlm

Dude .. relax. No one is telling you how to play. If you don't like the ideas in this thread, move on. You say you don't want people telling you how to play .. well, don't come in here and bash on the way we play. That's hypocrisy.

osheao

All right, I appologized to BIG wooly, I am NOT going to justify my opinion to YOU. I know, it looked like a sign of weakness, or whatever, but who are you to say what kind of game Betheda makes? Do you work ofr Bethesda? Are you the only person who plays their games? Is your opinion somehow more important than the thousands of other players who enjoy it without artificial difficulty settings? No, your opinion, and playstyle are your's. keep them to yourself, or share them politiely.

mlm

lol! you people and your sensitivities. grow a pair. yes, i have acted crude and rude while intoxicated. ok. however, you take it to the next level by your response. unless, you happen to be intoxicated, as well, lol.

the eat and sleep debate is very simple and my point about as fool-proof as possible.

no, my opinion isn't more important. yes, i'm going to debate my points with passion. if proven wrong, i quickly and easily change my point of view. i don't care if i'm wrong. it's no big deal, since, we are all wrong throughout our lives.

osheao

Within a pretty short period of time this all becomes second nature. It's not like I play with a printed list of rules sitting next to me. The rules just quickly become part of the game and you don't think about it.

And yes, sleeping and eating are NOT hardcore, it is roleplaying. This thread originally started as a list of rules to make the game more challenging, but over time I decided to add the other rules I play by that may be more RP friendly. I'm just sharing the way I play in case others want to try it. You don't have to try it. d;-)

@Psiberzerker- for example, bigwooly has given me some great 'rules' to add to my gameplay. they were perfect answers to some of my biggest problems while playing the game. i have added some and now they are second nature. some have been refined. i had to think about them initially, but, now i don't.

Dude .. relax. No one is telling you how to play. If you don't like the ideas in this thread, move on. You say you don't want people telling you how to play .. well, don't come in here and bash on the way we play. That's hypocrisy.
I wasn't bashing, I was trying to offer a less complicated alternative. I edited above to dial down the lecture. Again, appologies if I came off as condescending.

@Psiberzerker- for example, bigwooly has given me some great 'rules' to add to my gameplay. they were perfect answers to some of my biggest problems while playing the game. i have added some and now they are second nature. some have been refined. i had to think about them initially, but, now i don't.
That was the most humble, and respectful thing I've ever seen you post.

osheao

That was the most humble, and respectful thing I've ever seen you post.

oh, i like to talk me some smack, but, the last couple days has been 90+ degrees and we've had food and drink everywhere, lol. lots of friends and family, good times and all that. but, it shows how damn addictive this game and forum can be, lol.

i love to debate and defend my position pretty well. if i'm wrong, oh well. i just need to try and not have a brewski in my hand while doing it, lol!

Ok, let me try this again (More respectfully this time.) There's 2 ways to go about this: First, not making your character invulnerable, and powerful enough that you need to limit yourself in the first place. Crafting, Stacking Bonuses, and running for the most powerful scripted items at a low level all make Adept too easy. If you're Role Playing, but using player knowledge for your character's benefit, that's metagaming. For instance, the Nightingale set is powerful, no denying that, but they're a secret subset of a fairly secretive faction in Riften. Same with the Dark Brotherhood, you CAN run to Whiterun Stables, cart to Windhelm, then Riften, then Falkreath before sleeping an hour, and be kitted out in Shrouded within a couple IRL hours. How did your character know about all this?

Then, when you have a balanced, or slightly underpowered character, what can you do in character that makes it more immersive, and believable? Eat, and sleep, obviously. Real people do it, most In Game PCs do not. Basically, whenever my mind kicks in with disbelief, this is my warning that I'm doing something retarded because the game will let me. I've done survival camping, once I hiked from Massanutten to Boone without any provisions more than ammo. Too bad you can't start a camp fire to warm up after swimming across a frozen lake, huh? Let me ask you something, when you take off your Banded Iron to swim, then get to the other shore, do you put it back on? Of course, it waighs less in your backpack, so it won't drag you down to R'lyeh! I don't find this any more believable, personally, than just swimming across in banded Iron Armor. I'd respectfully suggest leaving it on the bank, or going around to a bridge, or wadeible ford.

osheao

Ok, let me try this again (More respectfully this time.) There's 2 ways to go about this: First, not making your character invulnerable, and powerful enough that you need to limit yourself in the first place. Crafting, Stacking Bonuses, and running for the most powerful scripted items at a low level all make Adept too easy. If you're Role Playing, but using player knowledge for your character's benefit, that's metagaming. For instance, the Nightingale set is powerful, no denying that, but they're a secret subset of a fairly secretive faction in Riften. Same with the Dark Brotherhood, you CAN run to Whiterun Stables, cart to Windhelm, then Riften, then Falkreath before sleeping an hour, and be kitted out in Shrouded within a couple IRL hours. How did your character know about all this?

Then, when you have a balanced, or slightly underpowered character, what can you do in character that makes it more immersive, and believable? Eat, and sleep, obviously. Real people do it, most In Game PCs do not. Basically, whenever my mind kicks in with disbelief, this is my warning that I'm doing something retarded because the game will let me. I've done survival camping, once I hiked from Massanutten to Boone without any provisions more than ammo. Too bad you can't start a camp fire to warm up after swimming across a frozen lake, huh? Let me ask you something, when you take off your Banded Iron to swim, then get to the other shore, do you put it back on? Of course, it waighs less in your backpack, so it won't drag you down to R'lyeh! I don't find this any more believable, personally, than just swimming across in banded Iron Armor. I'd respectfully suggest leaving it on the bank, or going around to a bridge, or wadeible ford.

my pre-planned thief didn't even make it to riften because there was no reason for her to go there. there was no in-game reference to the thieves guild and the unusual gem info wasn't valid.

this DiD run was fun and... balanced, i think, is a good word. the freedom of tes games is true. morrowind proved that without a doubt. skyrim has screwed it up a bit, imo, but, the freedom is still number one, though, limited. (and, limited unnecessarily, imo.)

2worlds1: whistling and horse combat was a part of the game. armor and it's swimming effect was, as well. newvegas had hardcore. fallout3 had the almost perfected 'house decoration' function.

skyrim, with bethsoft's money f'ed all of those systems up. period. point blank.

i'm in the camp that originally thought skyrim would be the greatest game of all time. it does many things well. leveling what you use is a first step. attributes gone was an idiot decision. attributes govern EVERYTHING. there's a reason why attributes have been at the heart of character creation for decades.

i need to take a breath, lol...

BIGwooly

It is my personal opinion that simply avoiding crafting, stacking bonuses, etc. is not enough to make the game challenging. For me. This is why I choose to play without the HUD. This is why I choose to limit how much I can carry. This is why I choose to play on master. This is why I choose to penalize myself for dying. The rules I've come up to make the game a challenge .. for me. I guess I'm not really sure why you are against them. If they make the game tedious for you, or too challenging, don't implement them. Or maybe just implement some of them.

This character is my first full playthrough, and I don't consult cheat guides or online walkthroughs and I avoid reading most threads on this forum. Why? So that I don't find out things before my character should. I don't know to go to a specific place to get a specific weapon because I literally don't know it's there until my character discovers this through the course of play. There are countless things I still haven't discovered and countless quests I have passed on because they didn't fit my character's RP. So for me, this is not an issue.

And just an FYI for the armor and swimming situation. I do actually drop my armor on the ground when I go swimming. That means I can't just swim across a river, because my armor will still be on the other side. I don't just unequip it, I drop it. I've nearly lost pieces of armor doing this, lol.