• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

superjonbon25

Hello. My name is Jon. I just recently purchase a new copy of Skyrim for the PC, and I'm having problems. When I start the game everything gets messed up.(
) this is what happens when I start the game every time, but is doesn't go back to normal. Then is gets stuck and wont do anything. I asked a friend at work about it and he said to reinstall the game and lower graphics so I did, still no fix. I Have windows 8.1 and Directx 11. Has anyone had this problem before? If so what are your recommendation. Thank you.

Bira96

This exact same thing happened to me, except my wagon tried to climb up the mountain. Fortunately, I have an autosave from after the wagon sequence that I used to skip around this glitch, but if you recently started, you may not have it. When you open the game, select load and look for the autosave, maybe you'll get lucky. You could also try deleting your file and starting a new one, the file you have could have just glitched out as well. If that doesn't work, try looking for a mod on Steam called, "Random alternate start", that will skip the intro altogether, but it will let the game function.

superjonbon25

This exact same thing happened to me, except my wagon tried to climb up the mountain. Fortunately, I have an autosave from after the wagon sequence that I used to skip around this glitch, but if you recently started, you may not have it. When you open the game, select load and look for the autosave, maybe you'll get lucky. You could also try deleting your file and starting a new one, the file you have could have just glitched out as well. If that doesn't work, try looking for a mod on Steam called, "Random alternate start", that will skip the intro altogether, but it will let the game function.
Thank you Bira96 for your reply. I was wondering though; does this happen to every cut scene with the glitch? and if I use the Mod "Random alternate start" does it skip all the cut scenes or just the first one?

superjonbon25

OK. So I'm still having the same problem. I notice that any animal I encounter are glitched. Even the bear that is supposed to be sleeping in the cave when you have to sneak around is moving. Is there a fix for this?

Bira96

Hmm... ok, I need to know a bit more before I can help you; did you buy and download your game from Steam, or did you buy an actual, physical copy? Because I got a physical copy of another computer game once, and it would not function at all. I couldn't even get it to start. So if you have a physical copy, you could have gotten a dud that just won't work. And second, do you have any mods that affect animals? If you do, one of them could be glitched, or conflicting with another one that you have.
As for your other comment, no, the random alternate start mod only alters the beginning so you start in a random location anywhere is Skyrim, instead of starting in Helgen. You still need to go to Helgen to start the main questline, but that's the only thing it changes, the rest of the game is unaffected.
Secondly, no, this glitch is specific to the opening, I belive it's called a "scripting error." The game is programmed to follow a chain of events, and when that "chain" malfunctions, you get a script error. You can encounter other glitches like this in future cutscenes, but since there's no other quest cutscenes that involve wagons in the game, no, you won't find this specific error again if you manage to fix it.

superjonbon25

OK. I think I found the way to fix this problem. I did some research on this problem and this is how I fixed it on my PC. All my games run with a "Nvidia GTX 780 graphics card" and a "BenQ monitor" that can also run @ 120Hz. This card runs out of the box at the highest "refresh rate" setting witch is 120Hz (witch is one reason why we all buy these types of cards :-). Doing my research I found that unfortunately Skyrim cannot run this high. I don't know why but Skyrim can only run everything smoothly at 60Hz. So to fix this problem I went into Nvidia GPU control panel and changed it from 120Hz to 60Hz. At this setting the game runs flawlessly. No animals glitching and no cut scene errors (horse carriages flipping over, going thru mountains etc..). Unfortunately this is the only process I've concluded to fix this problem to play this game. Every other game I wish to play at 120Hz I have to physically change back in order to play at the higher refresh rate. I hope this works for other people who are having the same problems with a high end GPU card. If there is a way to change this setting automatically by just starting the game and not having to physically changing it back and forth let me know, thank you.

Bira96

Interesting, glad to know you've managed to fix the game for yourself, it's always great to be self reliant when it comes to these things.