Skyrim Freezing for about 10 seconds, then playing?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Zilerrezko

Hey guys and Girls,

I've been having trouble with Skyrim as it is freezing for about 10 seconds or so, then playing, It is random as far as I know but here's some more details before and after I started having the problem.

- My Graphics card is Nvidia GTX570, I have uninstalled my previous drivers of an ATI and installed the latest drivers after I had trouble, The problem did not go away.

-I have 3 GB of Ram, I'm assuming this is the problem, though when I have my task manager open and right when it freezes i took a look at the physical memory, it appears fine.

-My Processor is an AMD athlon 64 FX-62 dual core processor, MMX, 3D now (2cpus) ~2.8GHz, i also assume this may be the problem. Though when the problem occurs and the game freezes, my heat sync fan does not work hard.

-Sound plays while it freezes, yet the video and gameplay continue as if it freezes, rather that it's like it took a screenshot then shows that, then gametime continues while you look at that screen shot. (I can try to give a better description, but I feel convinced it's not lag, though it may just be that)

This happen before I tried to do a few things with drivers since my graphics card is new and I got it specifically for this game. I have also had no other experiences like this on any other game.

Hope someone can help soon!
Sincerely,
Dovakiin... jk

J. Coyle

Zilerrezko

Ah and I forgot to mention

-If you couldn't tell yet i do play the computer version

-And it matters not the settings of the graphics on the game, they (all four) equally freeze for the same amount of time

Thanks again for those who can help!

Renegader

Administrator
Staff member
Could be various reasons. Does this happen for Skyrim only? Could possibly be your CPU, or maybe you don't have enough power. What's your PSU?

Zilerrezko

happens for skyrim only, i could agree it can be my CPU but what gets my attention is that i might not have enough power, because I just got a new power supply of 650 W. I would be upset if it really is. My PSU is a Corsair by the way.

Renegader

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, then it shouldn't be that. I have a 650w Corsair PSU too and it has a GTX 560 Ti with an i7 2600k.

That's really odd. The issue sounds like a GPU issue to me, so I don't know really. :/

What if you play it in windowed mode?

Recommended Requirements.
  • Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
  • Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
  • 4 GB System RAM
  • 6 GB free HDD space
  • DirectX 9 compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with 1GB of RAM (Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or higher; ATI Radeon 4890 or higher).
  • DirectX compatible sound card
  • Internet access for Steam activation
Minimum Requirements. ( Just because you can run the game on minimum doesn't mean it will run well, it will freeze up )

• Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
  • Processor: Dual Core 2.0 GHz or equivalent processor
  • 2 GB System RAM
  • 6 GB free HDD Space
  • Direct X 9 compliant video card with 512 MB of RAM
  • DirectX compatible sound card
  • Internet access for Steam activation
Hope this information helps a bit.
Try running http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html Should help, If no I suggest upgrading your CPU and adding another GB of ram. Its Obviously not Your Graphics card.

Zilerrezko

when I play it in windowed mode it seems to not have the issue, though i can't make the window any bigger, with alt-f11 or much of any fullscreen key.

Yeah I though it was a ram or processor problem, thanks guys, I really just had to be sure.

Any processor recommendations I could look for at my local Fry's electronics? quad cores looks like the way to go! Though I think maybe I can get Ram as well too, about 6 GB pretty cheap for both, about 200 dollars for both right?

Once again guys thanks, I'm glad I can wrap this up :).

Renegader

Administrator
Staff member
when I play it in windowed mode it seems to not have the issue, though i can't make the window any bigger, with alt-f11 or much of any fullscreen key.

Yeah I though it was a ram or processor problem, thanks guys, I really just had to be sure.

Any processor recommendations I could look for at my local Fry's electronics? quad cores looks like the way to go! Though I think maybe I can get Ram as well too, about 6 GB pretty cheap for both, about 200 dollars for both right?

Once again guys thanks, I'm glad I can wrap this up :).

Consider a i5 2500k or i7 2600k, they're both awesome processors.

Zilerrezko

spendy stuff, hmm, I like it! I'll definetly get it if there's nothing better at the store!

Thanks again guys, have a good rest of the year!

spendy stuff, hmm, I like it! I'll definetly get it if there's nothing better at the store!

Thanks again guys, have a good rest of the year!
DO NOT buy an I5 or I7... Intel is way too expensive and AMD is BETTER by far especially for gaming.... but yeah go for a quad core...

Renegader

Administrator
Staff member
DO NOT buy an I5 or I7... Intel is way too expensive and AMD is BETTER by far especially for gaming.... but yeah go for a quad core...

I have an i7 2600k (and whilst the i5 2500k has little to no difference but just without hyperthreading and is $100 less) and I've experienced no problems at all and found it very efficient at everything especially gaming.

I'm not saying they're bad processors or cause problems. I'm just saying AMD processors are always less expensive and usually come with all the features you need and handle processing and gaming alot better then intel processors.

Zilerrezko

i hear from my brother that if you get a different kind of processor from a different company than you have to get a new mother board as well?

Depends on how old ur motherboard is and if it can handle a quad core processor, if it can you just need to find a processor that matches ur socket type on ur motherboard. Like mines an FM1 socket

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
I've had this same issue. Weird thing is, is that I'm playing it on the 360. An overall issue with game maybe?

Zilerrezko

interesting... i've seen other commentators play the game on both xbox and computer and i havn't seen any have any problem with it. How odd