• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Game of the Year?

• Uncharted 3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Battlefield 3

• Modern Warfare 3

• Skyrim

Votes: 10 100.0%

• Total voters

lemmyjftw

Post your opinions as to why or why not Skyrim should/shouldn't be the GotY, and if not what should be and why.
My opinion: Yes. Although there are many games that could and should be in the running, such as Uncharted 3, Battlefield 3, and Modern Warfare 3, they are all cliche. They all have similar story-lines with minor differences from their previous version(s). Uncharted 3 I will admit is an amazing game and would be the only competition I see that would be deemed worthy (besides Skyrim) of GotY. But I still think Skyrim is better, and I'm not trying to make a biased opinion, I've played all of the games firsthand and in my opinion, Skyrim changed from it's previous version, but in many good ways. Simply adding in the "sprint" function for instance made the game so much better.

Onyx

I have to say the top 3 contenders for me (based on my preferences out of the new games I have played) would be the following

Skyrim - Epic and awesome, about 60 hours in and only explored a fraction of what there is...fantastic!
Loads of depth, fantastic environs, fun combat, so much choice...cannot describe...just loving it!

Deus Ex - Only got this cause I pre-ordered months before it came out (and forgot about it) but got reminded by a text msg from the retailer. To say it was the surprise of the year for me...loved playing the stealth approach (which I am now enjoying with my Argonian Assassin). Skyrim is better imo due to the shear depth but Deus Ex was a lot of fun and different from the vanilla titles out there

Warhammer 40k - Space Marine: In terms of gameplay etc this was nothing special, but I like the Warhammer 40k universe so this makes my list for that alone.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
The only fault in Skyrim is all its glorious glitches and bugs. My worry is that Skyrim might not get the title because it doesn't appeal to everyone out there. Surprisingly, RPG doesn't appeal to a lot of people. People prefer fast-paced action games that is more refined. As one of the few 'true RPG' game, Skyrim could be a victim.

I'd say Batman:AC and Portal 2 are the strongest competitor of Skyrim. Portal 2 is perfect in its own right and it is just really well refined. I haven't played Batman:AC yet but it's been getting 10/10 from many publishers. I looked at the game and it looks amazing as hell.

Jack Fulham

Premium Member
The only fault in Skyrim is all its glorious glitches and bugs. My worry is that Skyrim might not get the title because it doesn't appeal to everyone out there. Surprisingly, RPG doesn't appeal to a lot of people. People prefer fast-paced action games that is more refined. As one of the few 'true RPG' game, Skyrim could be a victim.

I think some people struggle with games in which they are given no direction or no real goal. That's what I love about Skyrim.

I hope MW3 doesn't get it, I do enjoy the campaigns on the cod games but the multiplayer is just the same as previous cod's but with new maps. Then they mug you off again by bringing out £10 map packs. Not worth it, I stopped buying the Cod Series.

Stone

Retired Moderator
Skyrim should be GOTY, simply becase it wins in every aspect amongst other games.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
I think some people struggle with games in which they are given no direction or no real goal. That's what I love about Skyrim.

I hope MW3 doesn't get it, I do enjoy the campaigns on the cod games but the multiplayer is just the same as previous cod's but with new maps. Then they mug you off again by bringing out £10 map packs. Not worth it, I stopped buying the Cod Series.
Modern shooter game is dying and I hope it dies fast. It was innovative at first but they've been going on with it for too long. It's funny how they just mask the title with Modern Warfare 3 while in reality, it's Call of Duty 8. I'm sure there are some differences in each series but it's not enough to get GOTY award. I don't have anything against modern shooter games. It's just that I think its popularity is undeserved due to its linearity and lack of innovation. I don't think any 'true' gamer should be defined to MW3. I'm probably being an elitist about it but that's just how I feel.

lemmyjftw

Like I said, all the modern shooters are cliche because the premise of them has been overused. The ONLY shooter I would say could still compete is Call of Duty 4, that game was revolutionary, but the concept has been used to death since then.

Jack Fulham

Premium Member
Modern shooter game is dying and I hope it dies fast. It was innovative at first but they've been going on with it for too long. It's funny how they just mask the title with Modern Warfare 3 while in reality, it's Call of Duty 8. I'm sure there are some differences in each series but it's not enough to get GOTY award. I don't have anything against modern shooter games. It's just that I think its popularity is undeserved due to its linearity and lack of innovation. I don't think any 'true' gamer should be defined to MW3. I'm probably being an elitist about it but that's just how I feel.

I just don't like the repetition of the whole thing but then again I do play FIFA occasionally. I do know people who only play FIFA and Cod though and I just find that depressing as there are so many good games out there to be played.

lemmyjftw

If Battlefield and CoD developers united..that would actually be an epic game, but Bethesda would fire back with The Elder Scrolls VI ;)

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
I just don't like the repetition of the whole thing but then again I do play FIFA occasionally. I do know people who only play FIFA and Cod though and I just find that depressing as there are so many good games out there to be played.
I don't really find that sad. It's sad when they start calling themselves 'hardcore' gamers even though they only play a small fraction of a gaming spectrum. I usually just see them as casual gamers, the ones with social life hahaha Again, it's just my stupid elitist point of view.

Sebastián Piazza

Mother fluffer Jones
I don't really find that sad. It's sad when they start calling themselves 'hardcore' gamers even though they only play a small fraction of a gaming spectrum. I usually just see them as casual gamers, the ones with social life hahaha Again, it's just my stupid elitist point of view.
Well i have social life :p and i play a wide spectrum of the games that are out there... i like aventure,rpg (fast-paced or slow paced) , RT trategy, Turns Strategy, Simulation.... almost every game you could think of and is good in its "genre" i play it... tough there are some games that stand out for me, portal 2 is amazing and maybe it should get the goty... tough i'm starting to love skyrim (and it's been a while since i played a slow paced rpg). And of course i still have to play batman arkaham city, that i think is gonna be epic... i played arkaham asylum goty edition and i love it.

zeva

Meanwhile in Skyrim...
Skyrim for GOTY because the fan base can't put the controller down, or step away from the pc. Aside from a few glitches and bugs, Skyrim completely lived up to all the anticipation.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Well i have social life :p and i play a wide spectrum of the games that are out there... i like aventure,rpg (fast-paced or slow paced) , RT trategy, Turns Strategy, Simulation.... almost every game you could think of and is good in its "genre" i play it... tough there are some games that stand out for me, portal 2 is amazing and maybe it should get the goty... tough i'm starting to love skyrim (and it's been a while since i played a slow paced rpg). And of course i still have to play batman arkaham city, that i think is gonna be epic... i played arkaham asylum goty edition and i love it.
the social life part was more of a joke :] but yeah, it's always nice to see someone who enjoyed wide variety of games. I do like everything so it's hard to name a specific preference... It's always fun to take surveys like this. Will Skyrim get GOTY? I won't bet my money on it but it's one of the best candidate for this year.

Sebastián Piazza

Mother fluffer Jones
the social life part was more of a joke :] but yeah, it's always nice to see someone who enjoyed wide variety of games. I do like everything so it's hard to name a specific preference... It's always fun to take surveys like this. Will Skyrim get GOTY? I won't bet my money on it but it's one of the best candidate for this year.
LOL that test is amazing!!! just did it :p

Your BrainHex Class is Seeker.
SeekerDaredevil.png

Your BrainHex Sub-Class is Seeker-Daredevil.
You like finding strange and wonderful things or finding familiar things as well as rushing around at heights or high speed while you are still in control.
According to your results, there are few play experiences that you strongly dislike.

Kasha

I cant stand MW3 its Deja vu in a box, nothing is different everything is the same, the single player is crap and only like 2 hours long. A game should be rated on its single play not its multiplayer.

Kasha

If you voted for anything else, that would be sad, this is a skyrim forum, Not COD monkey village, or Drake has a stupid hair forum.