Skyrim Death Knight Build... How?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
I love the Death Knights (of any race) in WoW. How would you go about creating a Death Knight build in Skyrim? What would they use for combat? 1-hand+shield? 2-hand? How would they use magic? Would bound weapons be better for a Death Knight or just magicall enchantments on your ebony weapons? Or would they use destruction too? Conjuration? Atronach or Nerco? Probably Necro?

I 'imagine' sword and board with necromancy tied in somehow? I just can't figure out how how it would work? I guess heavy armour is a must. And probably Ebony would be the best 'looking' for a Death Knight? Or Daedric?

So yeah... How would you build this? Combat? Magic? Perks?

FYI: Death Knight Description from WoW:
"Death Knights engage their foes up-close, supplementing swings of their weapons with dark magic that renders enemies vulnerable or damages them with unholy power. They drag foes into one-on-one conflicts, compelling them to focus their attacks away from weaker companions. To prevent their enemies from fleeing their grasp, death knights must remain mindful of the power they call forth from runes, and pace their attacks appropriately."

The Fallen Hero

Master Assassin; Hybrid
Sword in one hand, a magic spell in the other. Any magic spell to do with Revenent or Fireball will be fine.

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
Ive been reading some other death knight builds using good old google and the majority say Necromancy and Frost are a must for that type of character. From a role play... It does suit. But the 1-hand+spell vs 2-hand rages on. A Death Knight should be a melee style character with Dark Magic. But how do you get it to work in Skyrim?

The Fallen Hero

Master Assassin; Hybrid
Ive been reading some other death knight builds using good old google and the majority say Necromancy and Frost are a must for that type of character. From a role play... It does suit. But the 1-hand+spell vs 2-hand rages on. A Death Knight should be a melee style character with Dark Magic. But how do you get it to work in Skyrim?
Incorporate Two-Handed and 1H plus Conjuration. Switch between both occasionally.

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
Race? I think Breton simply for magic resistance. And boost to Conjuration early.

It feels like either a Spellsword build but with heavy armour and a focus on Necro/Frost? Or Battlemage with Necro/Frost?

The Fallen Hero

Master Assassin; Hybrid
Race? I think Breton simply for magic resistance. And boost to Conjuration early.

It feels like either a Spellsword build but with heavy armour and a focus on Necro/Frost? Or Battlemage with Necro/Frost?
Spellsword. I would definitely choose a Breton though.

I would take one handed (for both duel wielding and magic/weapon), frost and necromany, and enchanting, definitely enchanting.

Shadowbane

Premium Member
Ebony Mail + Ebony Blade = dark/ death knight IMO. Armor that gets a black aura during combat and a blade that gets stronger every time you betray someone and has unlimited life leach says death to me

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
For the simple fact a Death Knight is a semi-tank melee character with Dark Magic. It kind of HAS to be 2-hand weapons. I think a Great sword would suit best.

I've been mulling this over all bloody afternoon.

Flint firestorm

The leading man, who else?
Well I've never seen a knight with a battle axe and the only knights with war hammers are the silver hand in WoW but their holy knights.
Ebony blade. Best weapon in the game

Phobos990

Im trying to play this class now, this is my death knight: One handed, conjuration (only necromancy), heavy armour are my major skill, i also use descruction with argumented shock for support and smithing to forge daedric armor set. I prefer not to use bound weapons because i ran out of magicka fast with that. I choose a breton, i think its the best choice because this race starts with 25 conjuration and 25% magic resistance, the M/H/S ratio i use 3/3/1. For now im level 10 ever played in master difficulty and i think its pretty good and very very fun! i dont use shield, i think is useless: i got an heavy armour that make me a tank and my zombies keep enemies far from me.

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
That's pretty good dude. I've gone 2-handed for damage output for melee. I've got got Necro spells and frost spells favourited for quick changes.

Phobos990

That's pretty good dude. I've gone 2-handed for damage output for melee. I've got got Necro spells and frost spells favourited for quick changes.
Frost spells are very good! makes your enemies slower! i choose shock for lighting cloack, i think its amazing combinated with daedric armour! :)

rvk5150

Ebony Mail + Ebony Blade = dark/ death knight IMO. Armor that gets a black aura during combat and a blade that gets stronger every time you betray someone and has unlimited life leach says death to me

That's me!! I am Khajjit with Ebony Mail, and all the rest Ebony Armor. I use Nightingale Blade (1H) usually with either shield or Lightning/Frost Spells.

When I earned the Ebony Mail I put in a post about it because I find it so awesome...also wearing Nira (sp?) ring that allows you to feed on corpses to rejuvenate faster.....

Jaer

Going with the WoW theme for a DK, here is how I did mine:

2h - could do dw, but 2h is better lore wise, no shield, ever!
Conjuration - only undead (you will need to start a bit with other stuff first, but once you can go undead, do so)
Destruction - only frost spells
Heavy Armor
Smithing
Alchemy
Enchanting

No Bows, no shields, no restoration, no illusion, no sneaking, no pickpocket, no followers (except for storyline people), no Alteration
Stealing something is fine, just kill someone if you want their stuff, not pickpocket them.

These are just my rules for trying to follow a WoW DK. I liked how it worked out, was a ton of fun, and not really overpowered with using lesser summons and only frost spells. Also, mostly you are going to be using your 2h, not too much on the frost, more as a snare and a bit of burst damage. (like when summoning in middle of battle, one hand summon, other frost, then back to the 2h) Also enchanted my blade to be frost/soul trap. I would say, look at the DK talent trees, and their skills, and it should pretty obvious what to use. Hope this helps.

I personally disagree with Fallen Hero on the fire spells, and revenant spells, but that is my take on it. Never knew a DK to use fire.

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
^ I agree pretty much 100% with that build.

Derpo

Going with the WoW theme for a DK, here is how I did mine:

2h - could do dw, but 2h is better lore wise, no shield, ever!
Conjuration - only undead (you will need to start a bit with other stuff first, but once you can go undead, do so)
Destruction - only frost spells
Heavy Armor
Smithing
Alchemy
Enchanting

No Bows, no shields, no restoration, no illusion, no sneaking, no pickpocket, no followers (except for storyline people), no Alteration
Stealing something is fine, just kill someone if you want their stuff, not pickpocket them.

These are just my rules for trying to follow a WoW DK. I liked how it worked out, was a ton of fun, and not really overpowered with using lesser summons and only frost spells. Also, mostly you are going to be using your 2h, not too much on the frost, more as a snare and a bit of burst damage. (like when summoning in middle of battle, one hand summon, other frost, then back to the 2h) Also enchanted my blade to be frost/soul trap. I would say, look at the DK talent trees, and their skills, and it should pretty obvious what to use. Hope this helps.

I personally disagree with Fallen Hero on the fire spells, and revenant spells, but that is my take on it. Never knew a DK to use fire.
Problem is frost is broken, it does not snare. nor eat stamina. as its intended to do and everything is heavily resistent to it

Jaer

It's true, it is more of a role playing, and as I said in another thread, I look at the problems with frost as a natural limiting factor. Battle mage style characters can get pretty easy, quickly, so the limitations of using frost only, and the glitches of frost, help to balance that, but you are still left with a powerful character, but one that is fun to play, IMO.