Skyrim CTD no matter what!

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

tweetmail

Hi guys!
I have a particular problem that just isn’t going away. When walking from Yngol barrow to the Winhelm stables the game crashes to desktop 90% of the time. I have no mods or add-ons installed, no HD pack. I’ve tried running it with version 1.0, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 and the result is the same. On other locations the game never crashes, even if I fast travel to Windhelm and walk towards Yngol barrow the game doesn’t crash. I’ve tried different saves, so we can rule them out. Ive tried different resolutions, set detail to low and fov to minimum, but the crash persists.

Running it on PC(quadcore2.66, 6gb ram, ati hd5800)
What do you think could be causing this? Is anyone having this problem?

Can't help you there. I didn't have that rpoblem until after 1.5. Now several areas near towns and cities cuase me to CTD. I am having an issue where the game constantly crashes while I use MODS. I was hoping to find some answers here. It begins happening frequently so I start disabling mods one at a time until the game works properly but as I progress higher and higher I find I have to turn off more mods. It's to the point where my level 51 mage (Not easy to fluffing level those guys!) will have to run around with no eyes, hair or sexy clothes at all if I want to keep playing. I have tried wyrebash and everything else. This looks more like a problem with the game it's self. I remember Oblivion started crashing all the time the further I progressed with a toon with or with out mods. Does anyone know of an unofficial patch that might stop this? This will be the third toon I have had to quit becuase the game gets lazy or something! (Yeah I know that sounds stupid but it's the only way I can phrase what is happening).

EleanorUnicorn

my game keeps crashing to desktop as well! grr!! haven't changed anything or added any new mods, and it was perfect all day yesterday! i think my computer hates me :sadface:

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Hi guys!
I have a particular problem that just isn’t going away. When walking from Yngol barrow to the Winhelm stables the game crashes to desktop 90% of the time. I have no mods or add-ons installed, no HD pack. I’ve tried running it with version 1.0, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 and the result is the same. On other locations the game never crashes, even if I fast travel to Windhelm and walk towards Yngol barrow the game doesn’t crash. I’ve tried different saves, so we can rule them out. Ive tried different resolutions, set detail to low and fov to minimum, but the crash persists.

Running it on PC(quadcore2.66, 6gb ram, ati hd5800)
What do you think could be causing this? Is anyone having this problem?
This kind of problem has been reported by a couple of players for different locations. It may be tied to a particular texture rendering problem with your video card and driver and a texture in the area so one thing you can try is to view as little of the surrounding are as possible by lowering your draw distance to a minimum and keeping your view on the ground in front of you until you are past the area.

Also make sure your video card driver is up to date.

tweetmail

Thanks for all the replys!
It was a texture loading problem, more specifically when the windhelm bridge texture loads, the game crashes. What fixed it, you ask?
I defragmented disc C and the game hasn’t crashed since. Seems like skyrim is searching in so many files, it sometimes needs a little help with finding them all. Defragment your hard drive and some problems will (should) go away

Cheers!

Majin

The reason why it crashes when it tries to load the texture, is because that's the fail-safe in the GameBryo engine. If it can't load up a model or texture in a certain amount of time when it is to be loaded, you get a crash to desktop with no indication as to why.

It is an engine from 2006 after all.

tweetmail

The reason why it crashes when it tries to load the texture, is because that's the fail-safe in the GameBryo engine. If it can't load up a model or texture in a certain amount of time when it is to be loaded, you get a crash to desktop with no indication as to why.

It is an engine from 2006 after all.

Interesting, I thought it was the updated Oblivion engine. So is there a fix or a workaround for this fail safe? Perhaps increase the response time or something? Is anyone even discussing it?

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Interesting, I thought it was the updated Oblivion engine.
Oblivion used Gamebryo. Some video game developers use a licensed game engine for some of their games and Bethesda used Gamebryo for Fallout 3, Fallout NV, Morrowind and Oblivion. Each developer will modify and rewrite portions of the engine to cusomize it for their game though, so the customized version is often referred to by a different name to distinguish that customization. Skyrim supposedly used a new Bethesda game engine called Creation but some believe it's based extensively on the Gamebryo engine and it undeniably has some coding elements from the Gamebryo engine in it.

Majin

Oblivion used Gamebryo. Some video game developers use a licensed game engine for some of their games and Bethesda used Gamebryo for Fallout 3, Fallout NV, Morrowind and Oblivion. Each developer will modify and rewrite portions of the engine to cusomize it for their game though, so the customized version is often referred to by a different name to distinguish that customization. Skyrim supposedly used a new Bethesda game engine called Creation but some believe it's based extensively on the Gamebryo engine and it undeniably has some coding elements from the Gamebryo engine in it.

I got a hold of a defunct trial version of Gamebryo, compared it to a bunch of Skyrim's files and editor. Virtually the same, aside from some things being left out/put in (Bits inside a .nif file, mainly)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts