Skyrim crashes to desktop when loading new game.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

ChrisElf

Hey guys :)

So when i open Skyrim, i click 'new game', then klick 'yes'
And it starts loading.
The text on the bottom right, fog coming from down and a big dragon statue in the middle,left.
And it slowly zooms out and in...
And then, after some loading, it just crashed to my desktop.

See, my os is Linux Ubuntu(11.10), but Skyrim does work on Linux. A lot of people have this problem that i have, but i haven't found the solution.

Do i need to put some Updates, patches or what ? If so, then please give me the link also.

Specs:

Processor: AMD Athlon II X2 P340
Video card: Ati Mobility Radeon HD 4250
Hard disk: 320 GB HDD
RAM: 3GB DDR3 Memory

So please give me solutions how to solve this .
I have also read that i have to change the sound to 44.1Hz or something like that, but i can't find a place to change that in Linux.
There is some sound place but there are dB's or whatever.

Thanks ahead ! :)

ChrisElf

Bump!
Doing a quick bump because i'm going off to sleep and this thread will just get lost because of the active posting, and this thread hasn't had much attention :D
So i hope you guys help me ! :)

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
You have Linux, Chris. I'm sorry to say it but the majority of the people that are here in America play it on either Windows or Mac. I'll shoot you a PM and give you a hand with something though.

Zazzman

Under wine, you may have to go into the game's data files and delete the intro. Currently, there is no other solution known.

Open your file manager (I think Ubuntu still uses Nautilus from gnome) and play with the options to have it "show hidden" files and folders. Go to your home folder, then open up the folder .wine (the period in front is important), then the folder drive_c, then look around in either of the Program Files folders for something that says skyrim.

Past that, I cant guide you further, because I'm having trouble getting things installed the way you did.

I'm not sure how much all this will help, as I don't know how much memory your graphics card has. http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-find-linux-vga-video-card-ram/

This link is pretty straight forward. Type lspci into the terminal (you may need a "sudo" in front of that on Ubuntu, I don't know). Look for the bus number just to the left of where it lists a "VGA compatible controller", and then type lspci 00:XX.X, where you change the XX.X to match the Bus ID. After that, look for the line that says "memory at "[some long hexidecimal number] where that line also says "prefetchable". At the end, will be a 'size=' either 128M, 256M or 512M.

If it says 512M, you should be perfectly fine to play the game. If its smaller, you don't meet the games minimum requirements. On other games, you can just run them on ultra-low video resolution & quality settings, and since you're in Ubuntu you can even kinda switch to Lubuntu's interface to free up memory. However, I'm not sure that will be enough to make the game playable.

If you meet the system requirements, but Wine refuses to work even after all that effort, maybe Gametree/Cedega could work?
It requires some tweaking too - make sure you point to TESV.exe - the game works, the launcher doesn't. Read the instructions in the video's description, and you should be fine. However, after going this route, I can't get the mouse to respond in the game :sadface:.

Cedega runs on top of it's own version of Wine, and folks with the most bleeding edge version of Wine have this same problem... but I'm not sure how to patch that inside of Cedega!

As such, I'm stuck at the intro screen, and can't even hit "New" to start the game.

Can I get some help? What release did you use, and how did you get it to install in wine? As messy as all this is, Wine has come a long way. And with our help, will go a lot farther.

You mentioned that English is not your first language. If I talk to much, or if this is all too much to take in via English, lemme know. This is the internet, and a language shouldn't get in the way of getting things done.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts