• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Time4Pizza

You state that you're a power-gamer (minaxer, whatever you want to call it) yet you lament the fact you can exploit the hell out of the game.

here's the thing.

You don't have to wear heavy armour. You don't have to take every perk in heavy armour if you do. You don't have to craft 300 daggers and then enchant them and sell them. You choose to.

My character wears light armour, I'm level 25 and i've yet to take a single perk in light armour. Further to that... so far he has worn only three types of light armour... studded, leather and nightingale.
He doesn't enchant anything.
He doesn't craft armour or weapons.
He doesn't use shouts.
He never uses magic.
He doesn't carry anything I dont think he could reasonably carry... which means he's a hell of a lot poorer than he would be if I took every pc of loot I found.

Thsi pretty much sums up how I play every character... they make choices based on what THEY would do, were they "real". All the complaints you have stem from power-gaming.

If Bethesda ensured min/maxing was impossible... you'd complain that they were not giving you enough freedom. If they give you too much freedom... you exploit it and say the game is broken. The game is what you make it. It's a single player sandbox game... the only one capable of breaking it is you.

Edit: I have to address this "Instead of random bandit encounters, now you have random troll encounters. " as a solution to levelling. This is ridiculous. Bandits make sense when taken in perspective with the game world... If I walk into a fort,I expect to find bandits, mage covens, thieves... but a fort full of trolls? Really? This would make the game better?

You make a lot of good points, but the level scaling argument is weak. I used trolls as an example, not that you find trolls everywhere where bandits used to be. Every area should have a set of monsters depending on your level. If you enter X area the enemies will be of Y type. If you are level 1 bandits, if you are level 10 trolls (or mages, or knights, or whatever), if you are level 20 then small dragons or whatever.

The point is you don't have to simply juice up the enemies. You can use A) different types of enemies B) more numerous lower level enemies instead of simply super charging our example bandit.

Time4Pizza

Everyone is right. You can role play the game and not do anything which you deem out of character. But there are a lot of players like me out there who want to make the most bad ass character possible. Yes, I want him to be my play style (fighter/mage) but still the most bad ass character possible in the game world.

The problem is if you aim to make the most uber dragonborn you break the game. You have to start drawing imaginary lines in your head about what game mechanics are off limits, and which ones you will take advantage of. How come I can't just make a sick character without saying, "no not this, its too cheap"?

A little play testing would of solved that problem. You role players have fun, but I am here for those who wanted to make the most awesome, spell flinging, dragon slaying half god. We can't do that without drawing arbitrary out of bounds lines, and it kills immersion when you start crossing off things you can do in game. Those exploits should have been closed before the game was released, not by your own random choices about what is game breaking.

Buzzfire

I am playing on the XBOX. Does anyone else have problems reading the text on the screen. I know I just dated myself, but it is hard to read even with sub titles on . I am playing it on a 48" HDTV , but the word are hard to read.

Ebony Knight

Lore Sword
I am playing on the XBOX. Does anyone else have problems reading the text on the screen. I know I just dated myself, but it is hard to read even with sub titles on . I am playing it on a 48" HDTV , but the word are hard to read.
Lol i sit 3ft away from my 42" screen so no i don't have any trouble reading the text. I think it could be a little small though, I don't really pay attention to it. Sadly since you're also on XBOX the only chance you have of a "fix" is an update that happens to include text size.

Ebony Knight

Lore Sword
You know I did just get a reminder from another thread that brought to mind one complaint I do have. I feel like they over simplifying the skills. I'm all about stream lining but I miss unarmed, spears should still be a part of the game, those who played daggerfall know what I mean when I say CLIMBING there are certain things that are unfortunately lost to the world with all these simplifications. Its all for the best I suppose.

Onyx

Everyone is right. You can role play the game and not do anything which you deem out of character. But there are a lot of players like me out there who want to make the most bad ass character possible. Yes, I want him to be my play style (fighter/mage) but still the most bad ass character possible in the game world.

The problem is if you aim to make the most uber dragonborn you break the game. You have to start drawing imaginary lines in your head about what game mechanics are off limits, and which ones you will take advantage of. How come I can't just make a sick character without saying, "no not this, its too cheap"?

A little play testing would of solved that problem. You role players have fun, but I am here for those who wanted to make the most awesome, spell flinging, dragon slaying half god. We can't do that without drawing arbitrary out of bounds lines, and it kills immersion when you start crossing off things you can do in game. Those exploits should have been closed before the game was released, not by your own random choices about what is game breaking.
Just to clarify what is game breaking?

As I understand you want to make the best most kick arse character which is cool, but I am just wondering what "breaks" the game by doing this?

I might have missed something so if I did I apologise

lemmyjftw

How about y'all calm down here? First off, dual casting mage spells is incredibly helpful and they do double damage for not triple mana, it costs the mana it would take to cast them both at the same time. Heavy armor doesn't dominate, you still can and will die fairly quickly if you don't have a good block timed. If you want that iron dagger enchant to sell crap, you STILL have to enchant them with soul gems meaning you have to either collect souls or buy soul gems, therefore the economy isn't broken because of that, and if you were to simply make and sell them they cost like 4 gold to sell them? Combat is the same as it was in Oblivion, and if you didn't like it then, did you expect differently now? All in all you are looking for a perfect game, which you will never find. Instead of crying on the forums, how about you go complain to Bethesda, maybe get a job with them so you can address these issues in the next game (sarcasm). Sorry you feel it's bad, just quit playing, no one will pay any mind.

NoVa

Bossmer
I know I am barking up the wrong tree on this forum, but I know it is not just me. If we forgive all other flaws, including writing off the bizarre level scaling which they had ample time to perfect, what about the perk system?

The perk system feels absolutely rushed and not play tested. Again, dual casting for mages is near worthless, except for the game changing stun lock perk. Heavy armor and blocking are absolute necessities if you want to play on the highest difficulties. Enchanting and smithing break the game not only in terms of balance but also economy. Why do they allow you to enchant heavy armor to the point where two schools of magic are completely free to cast? I have only played the game 20 hours or so and I found these flaws, why didn't the devs?

I know, these are little things. Taken together though they make it almost impossible not to create a character without some game breaking exploit. You have to literally go out of your way not to take advantage of the flawed character development, and that really hurts immersion immensely.

I have to disagree. I bought the game and started it on "Master" difficulty (I like a challenge). I was content to find that the difficulty level wasn't being set by a sliding bar scale like in Morrowind or Oblivion, but something similar to Fallout 3 or New Vegas: difficulty categories. I started out the game as a thief/archer type using light armor and a bow. Yes it was difficult and I died many times at first but I simply had to adjust my strategy and utilize the maximum potential of my selected class - mainly staying out of reach while attacking as an archer would be expected to do. I'm a huge fan of the Dark Brotherhood (for the armor) and I was excited to learn that they were making a reappearance in Skyrim. When I got the Dark Brotherhood armor I used that until I discovered Nightingale armor which I currently use on the same level 50+ Thief type. I switched to dual wielding swords to mix it up and the only time I ever die now is when I fight spellcasters or Forsworn who have instant-kill weapon perks. I do not have all the perks in the light armor skill tree, or even rank 5 Agile Defender/Deft Movement. The transition from struggling to beat a dungeon to practically doing speed runs still brings me great enjoyment while I play the game.

My point is, you have to play the character you can identify with in order to enjoy the game and not the character you think will make the game the easiest. If these two characters happen to be the same for you then kudos.

Time4Pizza

Perhaps I should just make a spell casting, heavy armor wearing, and mace wielding guy. Full enchant, full blacksmith, and play on adept in hardcore mode. If I die, start over. That may actually be fun.

ill wil

I see everybody's point.....my complaints as i explained b4 is on the "5 most hated things" thread but i will add more...........I can't understand the point of fast travel. I mean you have restrictions on it but ultimately takes away from using a carriage or a horse. I really hate that the favorites wasn't mapped out like Oblivion's was. Ummm I really feel like they f***fed up on the weapon system: 1. you can hold to many weapons/ two one-handed and one two-handed would work great to balance out the weapon/magic play and to make you think about what you really need to carry and 2. Why be forced to use magic if your not a magic character??? Dragons are weaker than saber cats and bears...WTF!!! They screwed up Redguards because they start with magic and they have magic skills....those skills should have went to combat skills. I kinda hate seeing NPC with mix matched gear (all steel armor with a iron sword.....lol). Ummm it's strange to find things in wrong places...(animals/creatures/dragons...you name it) with anything other than their "parts". Food should give more heath. Why the f***f can't you dive into water when jumping off elevated surfaces? No acrobatics, athletics, speed, strength.......one word STOOOOOPID!!...LOL Having these would even bring more balance like in Oblivion...

BlackRat

I see everybody's point.....my complaints as i explained b4 is on the "5 most hated things" thread but i will add more...........I can't understand the point of fast travel. I mean you have restrictions on it but ultimately takes away from using a carriage or a horse. I really hate that the favorites wasn't mapped out like Oblivion's was. Ummm I really feel like they f***fed up on the weapon system: 1. you can hold to many weapons/ two one-handed and one two-handed would work great to balance out the weapon/magic play and to make you think about what you really need to carry and 2. Why be forced to use magic if your not a magic character??? Dragons are weaker than saber cats and bears...WTF!!! They screwed up Redguards because they start with magic and they have magic skills....those skills should have went to combat skills. I kinda hate seeing NPC with mix matched gear (all steel armor with a iron sword.....lol). Ummm it's strange to find things in wrong places...(animals/creatures/dragons...you name it) with anything other than their "parts". Food should give more heath. Why the f***f can't you dive into water when jumping off elevated surfaces? No acrobatics, athletics, speed, strength.......one word STOOOOOPID!!...LOL Having these would even bring more balance like in Oblivion...

Fast travel: You haven't done the Thieves Guild questline, have you? If there was no fast travel, that would be a straight-up, eye-peeling grind. There's so much cross-map travel in "restoring the guild to it's former glory" that it would be near impossible to do without fast travel. Taking a carriage IS fast travel... so whats the difference?

Oblivion was NOT a balanced game. Not at all. Not even a little bit.
Again... much of what you're listing is choice. You're not forced to carry a ton of weapons, you choose to. If the choice didn't exist... gamers would be angry that they couldn't carry loot back to sell.
I have not been forced to use magic. I haven't cast one spell. Not a single one. Ever.
Why should food give you health? When you cut your finger... does eating a cheeseburger heal you?
As for diving/swimming... hmm. ever try to carry a ten pound weight while swimming? Or swim the length of a pool while wearing jeans? I personally think a slightly more realistic approach to weight and water would make the "lower" value armours seem more useful.

Athletics was a useless skill... a constantly growing stat number that ended up at 100 no matter what you did. It's replaced by stamina.
I find the current system allows me to ignore the numbers and play the damn game. Less "paperwork", more playtime.

Arato

Hunting Mage
Actually, there is a legitimate complaint in the story-telling.

There isn't a lot of role play choice in quest lines. Only the civil war storyline and one or two Daedric/Divine quests really give you the option to make a decision that would limit the impact on your character. Everything else is essentially laid out for you and whilst you have the option to choose WHEN to do a certain quest or what to respond when speaking to NPCs, you generally follow a linear path throughout all the quest lines.

I'm not saying that there isn't freedom in Skyrim. You can travel where you like, when you like, find quest items before engaging the quest and several NPCs can be killed, which ultimately prevents a quest from happening (although this is limited only to Misc quests, which is unfortunate). You also have plenty of freedom in character-creation.

---------------------

The issue I have is choice. I give you the Dark Brotherhood quest line as an example (WARNING SOME VERY MILD SPOILERS FOLLOW):

When you begin the Dark Brotherhood quest it is revealed to you that there is a bit of a divide in the group. The current leader of the DB has her own way of doing things but when a character turns up with the Night Mother - the revered ancient leader of the group - and she begins speaking to you, there are conflicting interests. In my opinion, you should be able to choose between following the Night Mother's orders or sticking with the status quo and putting your trust into the leader of the Guild. Instead, you follow a linear path that resolves itself.

This could be attributed to most of the Guild/Faction type main quests.

1.) The College of Winterhold should give you the option to choose to betray the findings at Saarthal to the Thalmor Priest or to fight the Thalmor Priest. Alternatively it could provide you the option as Arch-Mage to have the College assist Skyrim or to remain a secretive but powerful organisation.

2.) The Thieves Guild should provide you with the opportunity to assist Karliah in the name of honour and loyalty to Nocturnal or to side with Mercer Frey in the name of maximum profit and generally being Skyrim's version of the Mafia.

3.) The Companions quest (the biggest culprit of all in this) should allow you to decide whether or not to side with a pro or anti Werewolf group. You either fight off the group who wish to be werewolves and try to end the 'curse' or you take their side and fight off the group who oppose it.

Those are just examples.

---------------------

It's still a great game, it's just a lot more linear in story telling than it appears to be. If you had specific choices to make when undergoing most of the quests then there would be a natural morality system and the idea that only specific rewards are available for specific quests.

Equally, I think guilds should only accept you under certain conditions. For example, you should have to show a certain aptitude in Magic before you can do the work for the College of Winterhold and won't be allowed to begin their central quest until you've levelled that up to a certain point. Or you should have to kill a certain number of people for the dark brotherhood quest or steal from a certain number of people to be considered for the Thieves guild, meaning your sneak or your pickpocket skill had to be a certain level.

It's nice to have so much freedom and to be able to experience so much but a true role-playing experience is only available to us if we have a choice and the results of our play time are ultimately limited.

Aliester

Cant please everyone. Ya your right there are some exploits that can break the game for that toon trust me i have a couple of god killers. But as BlackRat stated already YOU make those choices. You dont have to use the fortify restoration potions to boost you enchanting potions or smithing potions.
You dont have to go and use the falmer helmet to make your alchemy crafting gear a five piece set. You dont have to go to dawnstar 15 times a day and loot that invisible chest.

That being said try and play the game a little differently like i wont upgrade my armor and weapons while wearing my smithing gear and i wont use potions either now i have a basic weapon with a standard enchant and same with armor all you need is like a 550 armor rating and now put it on master difficulty. Game isnt that broken anymore now is it.

Dont use the exploites and play on master and all of a sudden you start to look at skeevers diffently

Gyllenhall

what annoys me most is the NPC's of skyrim, i am the dragonborn, i saved the world.. yet kids still insult me and people ignore me... i am the leader of the college of winterhold etc etc etc, why cant i make decisions to affect these guilds and why do the members of these guilds act like im still an apprentice.

that what kills the game for me, the goddamn NPC's and the way they see the character.. fable did it better.

Zoa Two Tails

Cloak and Dagger Artist
Guys just try playing on master difficulty if you find the game too easy. Master difficulty is going to kick your guys's asses. Just saying. Also who cares about the cosmetic issues. Skyrim is still a beautiful game.

Ah yes the text is a bit hard to read at times I will say that, I wish there was a way to change that on the console but I can make it out well enough when I try.

I been considering moving to Master... not sure I'm ready just yet, I still get f00ked up here and there (usually if I'm not playing full attention and/or wanna try something instead of what I know has done me well). I only had the game a week and a half I think Master might be too soon lol.

GuardianCren1812

The guy with the axe
My only complaints are as follows.

1: The Civil war. Sure it got slightly more intense when you joined it. But unless you did join it, the Civil war just seemed like a Cold war at best, where the worst skirmishes between the two factions were between squads of three, maybe five. I would have loved to have been an innocent bystander watching two rows of soldiers at least duking it out in places from the tundras of the Pale to the forests of Falkreath. I know there might be mods for it but sadly I'm a console player.

2: The Revelation. Finding out that you are dragonborn is supposed to be a big turning point in the game...so I was expecting a little something more epic than this:

"Guard: Holy pl***, your Dragonborn!!"

Me:
images