Spoiler Skyrim Civil war / dragonborn quest

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Wraith

Ok, so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong, because this questline makes little sense when played a certain logical way.

Step 1. I escape Helgen with the Stormcloaks.
Step 2. After the first town, I take the suggestion to go join with the Stormcloaks. So I travel from there to Windhelm.
Step 3. I join the Stormcloaks, I start fighting the Empire.
Step 4. I'm sent, with Ulfric's Axe, to Whiterun. The Jarl there refuses to take the axe unless I help with the Dragon situation.
Step 5. Help kill a dragon.

This is where I think something goes off the rails. I kill the dragon, I reveal myself as Dragonborn, he makes me the thane....and then gets upset when I hand him the axe and end up sacking his city. This was the whole reason I agreed to hunt a dragon to begin with! I didnt ask to be Thane, I helped cause Jarl Ulfric ordered me to deliver this bloody axe under any circumstances.

Am I missing a step that makes this reaction make sense? or is this one of those "just let it go" moments in the game?

Mytheos

I did the same thing on a previous character. I felt like my character should have said something like "you knew what I signed up for Balgruuf."

it's a let it go moment for sure. Maybe Balgruuf thought you had something special?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997R using Tapatalk

Wraith

Geez Balgruuf, at least buy me dinner first.....

I was kind of hoping that I was missing a trigger, like if I bring the axe back early it does something different.

Just feels so weird leading an assault on a town that I'm the Thane of....or even worse, the playthrough where I lead my Stormcloak troops through Whiterun as both the Thane of Whiterun, own a house there, AND the I'm Harbinger of the Companions!

"Oh look! Our hero and neighbor Thane-Harbinger is coming to our aid....wait.....why is mercilessly slaughtering the guards?!"

theminstrels

Overseer of the chupacabra tea party
The same thing I say every play through. To me Skyrim was not thought out as well as Oblivion was quest relation wise.

its the games way of making you get into the main questline before you do to much. however if u went to the jarl first and accepted the mission you could then do whatever you want including the civil war missions without actually finishing the mission. just accept it and turn it off

it makes perfect sense for the holds champion to storm the capitol, you are merely liberating it from its current jarl who was trying to ignore the whole civil war situation, besides, the place was gonna get stormed anyway (once the imperials decided they needed center control), I would rather be stormed with LOVE than OPPRESSION.

Mytheos

Balgruuf certainly has enough gold to buy us all dinner, especially after the white gold concordat.

Balgruuf: Damn it, it was't about the gold!

Necromis

yeah I think you are looking at it wrong. This is similar to the civil war in the US. They are all Nords, and fighting for the beliefs that they have. One faction feels they are better under the Imperial rule, the other side feels they are better off free. Your helping the town of Whiterun is in line with that. You want to do what is right for the whole of skyrim. His response to the axe which is Ulric calling him out is also in line. As he feels that a civil war is in error. Ulric sent the axe as a show of respect, giving him the option of joining or fighting. Your choice to help attack the town is in line with liberating all of skyrim, also. Alas many friends fight across walls in civil wars and revolutions. Look at Syria and Lebanon today.

Rex Prime

Premium Airtcle Writer
Same Feeling, i wished Balgruuf chosen to help the Stromcloacks, i wish they will make a mod/DLC that makes this possible. I had a nice idea about him, but it happened and it's finished, you can't escape from the truth.