Skyrim armor compared to oblivion armor

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

edge

What do you think of the new armores? Personally, i think the glass armor was much cooler in oblivion but the ebony armor is cooler in skyrim

Professor Skalvar

General of the Euphoric Gentleman's Club
This is pretty tough for me, but if I had to compare armors, here are my opinions:

Fur: Skyrim
Leather: Oblivion
Iron: Skyrim
Steel: Oblivion
Shrouded: Oblivion
Elven: Skyrim
Ebony: Skyrim
Orcish: Skyrim
Glass: Skyrim
Daedric: Oblivion
Dwarven: Oblivion
Blades: Skyrim

Overall, I think Skyrim improved in armor design, generally speaking. I'll just put this video here so others can decide for themselves what they prefer.

Spiral Power!

Abenddrachen
I think that Skyrim greatly improved armor design pretty much across the board (especially glass armor, by Uriel's bearded boots did that one need it) but I am conflicted on the daedric armor design.

On one hand, Skyrim's daedric armor looks more...cool and alien, I thought that Oblivion's daedric armor looked a lot more alien and heavy, and since it was the ultimate form of heavy armor, well...it just looks more correct.

I love both designs, but I think I slightly prefer Oblivion's over Skyrim's when it comes to daedric armor.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
I would have to say that Skyrim won all except for the Shrouded and Leather armor.
I agree, but qualified in that Shrouded would be for the male version only. I like the female masked version better.

Nuitari

Dark Luna God of Magic
I think that for the most part the armour in Skyrim is better. However I agree that the shrouded looks s bit silly in Skyrim and that both iron and actual steel armour not plate look good in both games and suit there respective nations. The Blades armour looks very much the same but higher quality. I will say that regardless of all armours Skyrim wins because ebony armour is just so beautiful in it and it makes killing people stylish and fun.

Osiris

Child of the Sky
Orcish armor in Skyrim was a HUGE improvement.

KritikalPT

For me, the armors that Bethesda really nailed it were Orcish and Glass. I can't even count the number of times where I looted those types of armor and I just sold them as fast as I could blink, no matter how good they were in comparison to the armor I was wearing. Orcish armor finally looks brutal and savage, just like the race itself, and Glass looks, well, like actual glass, and has a cool, sleek, design to it.

Now Daedric... On one hand, Oblivion's armor really looked like it was a set of armor that demons would wear, and a person wearing that looked fearsome, to the point where you only needed to turn your head at the general location of the bandit and he would probably just have a massive heart attack out of fear and panic. However, what I didn't like was that it was thick as all hell; I get the impression that they started drawing the concept art and then didn't stop adding details to it, and I'm sorry, but the shield is just laughably stupid. On the other hand, Skyrim's version, again, looks fearsome, damn awesome and I like how it's not symmetric; it gives that impression of something not natural, especially with the spikes protruding out of the shoulders. Still, for me, it looks a bit too... alien, I would say, it doesn't scream "Demon" when looking at it.

I would say that Skyrim, for me, wins in terms of armor design, with the exception of Daedric, where there's a tie.

Osiris

Child of the Sky
For me, the armors that Bethesda really nailed it were Orcish and Glass. I can't even count the number of times where I looted those types of armor and I just sold them as fast as I could blink, no matter how good they were in comparison to the armor I was wearing. Orcish armor finally looks brutal and savage, just like the race itself, and Glass looks, well, like actual glass, and has a cool, sleek, design to it.

Now Daedric... On one hand, Oblivion's armor really looked like it was a set of armor that demons would wear, and a person wearing that looked fearsome, to the point where you only needed to turn your head at the general location of the bandit and he would probably just have a massive heart attack out of fear and panic. However, what I didn't like was that it was thick as all hell; I get the impression that they started drawing the concept art and then didn't stop adding details to it, and I'm sorry, but the shield is just laughably stupid. On the other hand, Skyrim's version, again, looks fearsome, damn awesome and I like how it's not symmetric; it gives that impression of something not natural, especially with the spikes protruding out of the shoulders. Still, for me, it looks a bit too... alien, I would say, it doesn't scream "Demon" when looking at it.

I would say that Skyrim, for me, wins in terms of armor design, with the exception of Daedric, where there's a tie.
I completely agree, but I think that in Skyrim, Daedric Armor looks like a Dinosaur from Hell.

Medea

The Shadow Queen
The thing that bothers me in both games are ridiculous helmets and pauldron (shoulder armor) designs. The helmets rarely fit, either making the head look too large, or too small (especially in the case of Skyrim's ebony armor). The only helmet that looks like it fits to the armor in Skyrim is the Orcish, imo.

The shoulder armor is a problem for female characters. It just doesn't look right to me, as the designs are over-dramatic and take away from the rest of the outfit. Daedric shoulder armor is the best example of this.

EDIT: Another thing they need to work on is how the armor looks from the back. This is the half of your character you view most of the time when playing the game. Some armors look good from the front, but not so good from the back, or vice versa.

Osiris

Child of the Sky
fur and Iron Armor look better in Oblivion, imo. Skyrim's Fur armor doesn't look as natural as oblivion's. Another thing is the Iron Armor, in Oblivion it reminds of your classic Knight, In skyrim it just looks weird. I can understand that they wanted to make it look more "rugged," but I think the Iron Armor in Oblivion looks more combat suited..

On another note, whats with the way your character holds his sword in Oblivion? very ackwardly..

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
Why does no one ever include Morrowind? I personally loved the Glass armor in Morrowind. It was badass. And it blows Oblivion's and Skyrim's out of the water.

KritikalPT

Why does no one ever include Morrowind? I personally loved the Glass armor in Morrowind. It was badass. And it blows Oblivion's and Skyrim's out of the water.

If I had to choose an armor set from Morrowind, it would be the Templar armor, with Steel being a close second.

Hargood

Defender of Helpless Kittens
My Question is...

..what happened to Mithril Armor? Is it just not mined "Lore-Wise" anymore?

It's been in ever Elder Scrolls game except for Skryim. Did they feel it isn't really needed maybe?

Hargood

Defender of Helpless Kittens

I agree... Glass Armor was "Only" awesome looking in Morrowind. It Turned all "Space man" in Oblivion.. I couldn't take it.

I also found it wierd that Glass armor was even in Oblivion. At the Time, I understood that it was only a "Morrowind Thing" because it was crafted from the fires of Dagoth Ur/Red Mountain. (but Whateva)

rittz

I like all of Skyrim's armor better. The only thing I really appreciate in Oblivion is that there was a variety of more attractive clothing to be found (don't judge me). Especially from the Shivering Isles expansion; I really loved those gothic ballroom gowns. Since I didn't end up getting the PC version, I can't get pretty things like that with mods.

However, I will say this: It's hard to be concerned about playing dress up in Skyrim, since I feel that armor is more necessary than it was in Oblivion. Even with my melee characters, I could waste a dungeon without getting too beat up in nothing but a pretty dress. In Skyrim, there's more risk (unless you play on one of the easier modes, I suppose), and I'm able to appreciate armor better because of that.

KritikalPT

My Question is...

..what happened to Mithril Armor? Is it just not mined "Lore-Wise" anymore?

It's been in ever Elder Scrolls game except for Skryim. Did they feel it isn't really needed maybe?

Don't forget Chainmail, as it was in Oblivion and Daggerfall as well, however, I don't exactly know if it was in Morrowind.

What really bothers me in Skyrim is the jump in armor tiers: you go from Leather to Elven in one big jump, which, to me, doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It would be so much better if they would add Mithril for example, and then something in the Heavy Armor category to equalize the number of armors in each category.