• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

ShoCh

I played Skyrim on PS3 like a woman possessed from Dec 2011 until June 2012 - no other game could come between us.

Then I stopped. I stopped because I have a bit of an issue with finishing games I love - as in, I can't. I can't because I don't want it to end.

Anyway, I have completed every story-line except for the Thieves Guild (bit too much fetch and carry for my liking) and The Dark Brotherhood (my morals are stopping me from completing this story-line, just don't want to do some of that pl*ps).

So, shall I move on to a different game altogether or do I try and rekindle something with Skyrim? Please give me some direction - shall I either start again as a different character (previously a female nord, who is pretty good with the magic and not too shabby with a bow and arrow - level 6osomething) or shall I say 'goodbye' forever?

Belle

Fool of Hearts - Laughter Incarnate
Here's what I suggest - start a new game. Do a completely different race, new skills, and play differently. Maybe set rules for yourself; eating, drinking, and sleeping are popular ones!

Personally I really enjoyed the Thieves Guild and the Dark Brotherhood, it had some of the best storylines in my opinion, but that's up to you!

Chillrend

Falkreath Land Owner
You don't necessarily have to say goodbye forever! Just take a break for a while! That's what I did and when I came back Skyrim seemed like a brand new game to me again. :)

Really just do what you want, have you tried a class that is the exact opposite that you just played? Have you roleplayed with any of your characters before? Have you gotten and played the new DLC's? If you haven't done any of these I think there is still a lot more gameplay to be played, have fun!

Absolutely start a new character with a strong back story, so you can play with a set of 'rules' that are consistent. Try a character type that makes you be a different player. If you were a Mage, become an assassin or a dual mace-wielding Orc. I also impose specific tasks for each character, my last had to gain every possible follower, the one before that became thane of everybhold

Cannabyss

I agree with the posts above. To be honest I'm looking for a way to get back into it but I'm having difficulties for other reasons. I won't go much into detail seeing as this is your thread, so I'll keep it brief. I would suggest making a character astray from your usual tactics. Seeing as how you haven't done the Thieves Guild or Dark Brotherhood you should go with an evil character. That is of course the obvious route, however it's not guaranteed to work for you. In which case, consider a Breton battle mage if you've yet to do one. Most fun I've had thus far.

Hargood

Defender of Helpless Kittens
Totally Try it out with a Diffrent Character. I'm a big nerd and I won't touch Daedric Quests, Thieves Guild, or The Dark Brother hood with my "Hargood, Crusader and Protector or Helpless Kittens" character.

..but I have an Assassin Character that does it all, and All wrong to see how the other half lives.

as well as try the "Other Faction" out (which ever that is you did the first time) ..or even try finishing "Without a Faction" ...Season Unending is EPIC without picking a faction!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as well (Spoiler Here) When you get to Sovenguard,(*sp) a Diffrent "Spirit" of a important character gives a confession from their death based on what Faction you chose.

There are SO many little Story archs that are really interesting depending on how you play it out. I even suggest making Saves at certain points as well so you can go back and look at them.

...but honestly, I say try out the ending and see it. Put that to "Ease" that you "The Dovakiin" have finally saved the Land of Skyrim from the Black wings Unfurled. Honestly, you deserve to see it, and it is pretty sweet :D

...other than that, don't give it up, still tons to do and more coming down the road (Hopefully soon than later for PS3) Try not "Fast Traveling" as much. Stop in Inn's for the Night, Buy some Mead from the Bartender, Warm your hands on the fire while listening to the Bards play, and sit and read a new book you found :D.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
If the game is getting boring then do what I did - take a break. I stopped playing for a few months and then got it for PC on my birthday. Installed a few mods and voila, the game was fun again.

Or you could do what Belle suggested and start a new character with restrictions. I'm going to start one soon and here are some of my rules:

1. No fast travel

2. Have to sleep every night.

3. Have to eat every night.

Or, you go could a little more extreme:

1. No armor besides a helmet.

2. No weapons.

3. Steal and eat all of the food you find.

The possibilities are, quite literally, endless.

Hargood

If the game is getting boring then do what I did - take a break. I stopped playing for a few months and then got it for PC on my birthday. Installed a few mods and voila, the game was fun again.

Or you could do what Belle suggested and start a new character with restrictions. I'm going to start one soon and here are some of my rules:

1. No fast travel

2. Have to sleep every night.

3. Have to eat every night.

Or, you go could a little more extreme:

1. No armor besides a helmet.

2. No weapons.

3. Steal and eat all of the food you find.

The possibilities are, quite literally, endless.

Oh Chowder! If you have it on PC, You'd love this Mod Compilation for that:

You might already know about these, and if you do, I really REALLY still want to post these for anyone else who might not know about them (if there is anyone)
Hypothermia v1.4
Steam Workshop :: Hypothermia v1.4

Frostfall - Hypothermia, Camping, Survival
Steam Community :: Error

Together, they make it so you have to be aware in the wild. When in Cold Weather, you start getting small messages gradually about your status (You fell cold, you feel chilly, you are Freezing, You are Freezing to death,etc) Your start getting problems from getting too cold ( Character gets slower, Stats get lowered, Your stamina runs out quicker, your vision blurs, etc) and you have to get to a Fire to warm up. You also can't just "Jump in Frigged Water".. and if you do, you better have a fire on the Other side. It also makes you start to get wet gradually in Rain as well. It makes taking Shelter for the Night a WHOLE awesome thing. ..I Love the "Warming Hands" animation your character makes when Hanging out in an Inn or buy a Campfire.

..which is why this Mod Works with it, and should totally be accompanied:
Camping Kit of the Northern Ranger
Steam Workshop :: Camping Kit of the Northern Ranger

You can set up a camp anywhere you want and place each individual piece to your liking. The Camps can be bought in a new Building in Riverwood, and the Camping Sets include Campfires, Tent, Bedrolls, Chairs, even Cooking pots! or Leather Wall Wind Breakers! Somewhat easy to place, and you can put up what ever you want from the kit. The Stuff can even be deployed inside a Cave, or Dungeon, or even a House if you just need More Bedrolls for you followers, or you need to light the fireplace of an abandoned building to warm up abit.

And the Other Prime Mod that has also Been developed to work with these is:

mp's More Complex Needs
Steam Workshop :: Imp's More Complex Needs

THIS is the one where you need to "Eat, drink and Sleep". It also has some great food reciepes like Jerky for Meats that are great for traveling, Lets you salvage water from flowing Rivers or Town Wells. you actually gain from eating difrent things (Protein Meter) Can get Nourishment from Alcohol, but get DRUNK on how much you drink (but still gets you alil Warm with the Mods Above.. Nothing like a Nice Warm Mead on a Cold Skyrim Night), and even have alittle bit better esteem results from eating something cooked (exp: you'd get it from eating Veggi Stew insted of just a carrot). I even love the Added bonuses of finding the Khajit Caravans, and being able to buy coffee beans from them to make a Hot cup of coffee. (and Caffine has a Buff as well) It's Great! It's the Mod where you find a Barrel Of Apples in a Dungeon, and instead of says "Pfft Trash" you say "OMG APPLES!!!!".

Optional, but a Mod that works with the Hypothermia Mods above, and should have been in the Game when it released if any mod should have been.

Cloaks of Skyrim
Cloaks of Skyrim at Skyrim Nexus - Skyrim mods and community
You can keep warmer if you find a cloak.

and UFO - Ultima Follower Overhaul
UFO - Ultimate Follower Overhaul at Skyrim Nexus - Skyrim mods and community
Only because your Follwer/Followers will do a Chilly Animation when you get too cold, and They will hang out and do their own thing in the Camps you set up (as well as anywhere, aka Taverns, homes,) when you use thee Shout "Command: Everyone Relax"

standalone

The Best Thing about this compilation isn't that it will just piss you off if you don't sleep, eat or take care in freezing Weather. It is that you get pretty nice Buffs (Although No where Game Breaking) if you take care of yourself, stop for a while, sip the wine and smell the Skyrim Mountain Flowers.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
Oh Chowder! If you have it on PC, You'd love this Mod Compilation for that:

You might already know about these, and if you do, I really REALLY still want to post these for anyone else who might not know about them (if there is anyone)
Hypothermia v1.4
Steam Workshop :: Hypothermia v1.4

Frostfall - Hypothermia, Camping, Survival
Steam Community :: Error

Together, they make it so you have to be aware in the wild. When in Cold Weather, you start getting small messages gradually about your status (You fell cold, you feel chilly, you are Freezing, You are Freezing to death,etc) Your start getting problems from getting too cold ( Character gets slower, Stats get lowered, Your stamina runs out quicker, your vision blurs, etc) and you have to get to a Fire to warm up. You also can't just "Jump in Frigged Water".. and if you do, you better have a fire on the Other side. It also makes you start to get wet gradually in Rain as well. It makes taking Shelter for the Night a WHOLE awesome thing. ..I Love the "Warming Hands" animation your character makes when Hanging out in an Inn or buy a Campfire.

..which is why this Mod Works with it, and should totally be accompanied:
Camping Kit of the Northern Ranger
Steam Workshop :: Camping Kit of the Northern Ranger

You can set up a camp anywhere you want and place each individual piece to your liking. The Camps can be bought in a new Building in Riverwood, and the Camping Sets include Campfires, Tent, Bedrolls, Chairs, even Cooking pots! or Leather Wall Wind Breakers! Somewhat easy to place, and you can put up what ever you want from the kit. The Stuff can even be deployed inside a Cave, or Dungeon, or even a House if you just need More Bedrolls for you followers, or you need to light the fireplace of an abandoned building to warm up abit.

And the Other Prime Mod that has also Been developed to work with these is:

mp's More Complex Needs
Steam Workshop :: Imp's More Complex Needs

THIS is the one where you need to "Eat, drink and Sleep". It also has some great food reciepes like Jerky for Meats that are great for traveling, Lets you salvage water from flowing Rivers or Town Wells. you actually gain from eating difrent things (Protein Meter) Can get Nourishment from Alcohol, but get DRUNK on how much you drink (but still gets you alil Warm with the Mods Above.. Nothing like a Nice Warm Mead on a Cold Skyrim Night), and even have alittle bit better esteem results from eating something cooked (exp: you'd get it from eating Veggi Stew insted of just a carrot). I even love the Added bonuses of finding the Khajit Caravans, and being able to buy coffee beans from them to make a Hot cup of coffee. (and Caffine has a Buff as well) It's Great! It's the Mod where you find a Barrel Of Apples in a Dungeon, and instead of says "Pfft Trash" you say "OMG APPLES!!!!".

Optional, but a Mod that works with the Hypothermia Mods above, and should have been in the Game when it released if any mod should have been.

Cloaks of Skyrim
Cloaks of Skyrim at Skyrim Nexus - Skyrim mods and community
You can keep warmer if you find a cloak.

and UFO - Ultima Follower Overhaul
UFO - Ultimate Follower Overhaul at Skyrim Nexus - Skyrim mods and community
Only because your Follwer/Followers will do a Chilly Animation when you get too cold, and They will hang out and do their own thing in the Camps you set up (as well as anywhere, aka Taverns, homes,) when you use thee Shout "Command: Everyone Relax"

standalone

The Best Thing about this compilation isn't that it will just piss you off if you don't sleep, eat or take care in freezing Weather. It is that you get pretty nice Buffs (Although No where Game Breaking) if you take care of yourself, stop for a while, sip the wine and smell the Skyrim Mountain Flowers.

This is... just... beautiful.

Hargood

This is... just... beautiful.
lol, Yes It is.

I tried it, and I can't get away from it. I will say it "Promotes Not Fast Traveling" because the same time goes by. You end up at a town Hunger, Sleepy and freezing lol.

But Other than that... All these MODDERS ARE GENIUSES!!!! They did what Modding show be about.

"Improving the Game to make it truely a more grand experience instead of just Putting Argonian Boobs on the Emperor"

On Top of that, they decided to colaborate their mods with each other. Pure awesome.

There really is something rewarding about

"Being a lowly scavenger, trying to find his way out of the cold and eating an apple he found as well as a loaf of bread he stole from a cart"

as well as

"Being a Hardened Rich Adventurer in a lavish Camp of his Posse, Warming himself by a large fire with a Full Belly and a Mead in his hand"

sticky runes

start a new character and take a walk on the dark side with him/her. Meaning, join the Thieves' Guild and Dark Brotherhood and do anything else you might have avoided before. If you end up feeling really bad, then do some do-gooder missions afterwards to "redeem yourself".

To be honest, I think the Thieves and Assassins have some of the most well thought-out quests in the game, because they actually require you to use your sneaking and pickpocketing skills to commit crimes and take out targets without being detected, so you actually feel like you are becoming an expert criminal. The quests from the other factions seem kinda generic to me. For example, with the Mages' college, I don't remember there being any quests that require you to use certain types of magic. I became the archmage with my first character, and he was a crap wizard, I spent most of the time using weapons.

Odd Child

The Bronze Boar!
I absolutely agree with everyone else, start a new game, try a different gender and race and experiment with different fighting techniques. Maybe you can go rogue and start a virtual genocide, decapitating every civilian you see. Be notorious! You don't have to be the good guy all the time....

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
I absolutely agree with everyone else, start a new game, try a different gender and race and experiment with different fighting techniques. Maybe you can go rogue and start a virtual genocide, decapitating every civilian you see. Be notorious! You don't have to be the good guy all the time....

I keep planning to make a character that slowly wipes out the entire population of Skyrim without being seen doing it, but I always forget :sadface:

JClarke1953

Well, for me, I'm going to become a Vampire again. If the Dawnguard is going to continue to hound me, might as well give them something to hound after. Besides, I didn't finish that part. After getting the bow and arrow's, and rescuing Serana's mother, I went and got cured. So, I guess I'll finish up that part. And like you, the Dark Brotherhood was getting a bit "out there", but, I AM the "Listener", so I might as well finish that line and see what happens. Especially since they and the Guild are connected somehow. And getting Shadowmere was/is a good addition as my steed.

As far as the Thieves Guild, if you're tired of chasing job's, go after those 24 Stones. I have half of them already, and so far they were pretty easy to get (you can get locations via Google).

One thing looked out of whack, one of my children is walking around the house in her gotcha's!

ShoCh

Thanks a lot for all of your responses. I have completed the main story lines (including nearly all of the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood quests) and practically every side-quest.

Because there is no DLC for PS3 yet :sadface: , I think I will wait for it to come out (if it ever does) and then start again as a completely new character - maybe a male - and then I will go with some of the suggestions given above.

So - just waiting for that damn DLC - then I'm back on. ;)

Neriad13

Premium Member
Play Morrowind or Oblivion! The TES goodness doesn't have to end with Skyrim. There's hundreds more hours of game time and fun in the other titles as well. Fallout 3 also looks like an especially epic Bethesda RPG. It's been on my "Must Play at Some Point" list forever.

ShoCh

Play Morrowind or Oblivion! The TES goodness doesn't have to end with Skyrim. There's hundreds more hours of game time and fun in the other titles as well. Fallout 3 also looks like an especially epic Bethesda RPG. It's been on my "Must Play at Some Point" list forever.

I was a latecomer to TES and was still playing Oblivion when Skyrim came out so I just put it aside and never looked at it again. So, yeah, I guess I could revisit Oblivion. I was thinking about it a while ago but decided it would look and feel ugly in comparison - which is stupid really because I remember being blown away by the game when I first played it.

The Fallout games are fantastic and I can't recommend them highly enough but in saying that, Skyrim is still my #1. :)

Neriad13

Premium Member
I was a latecomer to TES and was still playing Oblivion when Skyrim came out so I just put it aside and never looked at it again. So, yeah, I guess I could revisit Oblivion. I was thinking about it a while ago but decided it would look and feel ugly in comparison - which is stupid really because I remember being blown away by the game when I first played it.

The Fallout games are fantastic and I can't recommend them highly enough but in saying that, Skyrim is still my #1. :)

All TES games are beautiful in their own way, no matter the year they came out, in my opinion. ;)