PS3 Should Skyrim be Darker? (Brightness)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Mannulus

Article Writer
I say this for PS3 because PC people can easily get a mod or something to adjust it the way they want.

To the main point however, I realized that Skyrim is literally bright. I never seem to have a use for Torches, Candelight, Magelight, Etc to explore places. Afterall, most ruins and or Draugr filled dungeons have everlasting candles that seem to burn for 3 billion years.

So the question is, should Skyrim be darker? Is there a way for it to be darker? Share :3

Stormy

The right hand of Talos.
I say this for PS3 because PC people can easily get a mod or something to adjust it the way they want.

To the main point however, I realized that Skyrim is literally bright. I never seem to have a use for Torches, Candelight, Magelight, Etc to explore places. Afterall, most ruins and or Draugr filled dungeons have everlasting candles that seem to burn for 3 billion years.

So the question is, should Skyrim be darker? Is there a way for it to be darker? Share :3

Have you tried adjusting the brightness setting in options..?

Reactions: Niq

Mannulus

Article Writer
Have you tried adjusting the brightness setting in options..?

Yes, but I mean more than that. Why does every single place be lit up like the fourth of July? Why can't I enter a single place where it's dark not just in tone but that as well, but that I can't see a damn thing in front of my face.

Stormy

The right hand of Talos.
Yes, but I mean more than that. Why does every single place be lit up like the fourth of July? Why can't I enter a single place where it's dark not just in tone but that as well, but that I can't see a damn thing in front of my face.

Well you see the thing is...Us nords won't admit it light heartedly but...We are not too fond of the dark :3

Mannulus

Article Writer
Well you see the thing is...Us nords won't admit it light heartedly but...We are not too fond of the dark :3

mlfw8251-28421.gif

Stormy

The right hand of Talos.
We have spent millenia perfecting the art of infinite candles for this exact matter :p

JoeReese

Wait, you mean there's no full-time job, going around and lighting all the bracers and candles in the long-sealed draugr crypts? Those sons of...

sticky runes

Yes, I definitely think a lot of the caves and dungeons should be darker.

Dwarf ruins are understandable, because they've got those advanced technology lights, and some caves have glowing mushrooms, and of course places inhabited by bandits and sorcerers would be lit up for them to see what they're doing.

But tombs which have been untouched for hundreds of years should not still have torches and candles burning in them. Or there are naturally formed caverns with convenient holes in the ceiling letting in daylight. I doubt spiders and skeevers would be going around lighting candles either.

There are several ways to see better in the dark - torches, candle light spells and khajiit's enhanced vision, but we hardly ever need to use them because every place has perfect lighting. I even sometimes take torches off the walls just to see what it would look like if the game's designers weren't trying to show off their fancy lighting techniques.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I found with the addition of Dawnguard things got darker for me on 360. Cave was pitch black and your eyes had to adjust to it when you went into the lighter parts. Think Dawnguard will add that in for PS3, can't be sure if it is for every cave though.

its not just that they are lit, but the lights are often on a proximity detection system. If you watch carefully, you will notice that in many caverns and dungeons that the lights up ahead only come on as you approach. This suggests a level of sophisticated technology (or servants that you never see) carefully turning the torches/braziers on and off as needed.

sticky runes

I also like giving torches to my followers, so that they carry it around in the dark when there's no fighting :)

I would like it if they made it so that we light torches ourselves, either using a torch (like using a pickaxe to mine from ore veins) or using flame spells. It would make things a bit more immersive.

MrDSL

Its probably my old age and vision but I find it too dark..

There are times where I have to cast candlelight often to see chains and stuff to pull on.

Siil

Breathe...
From the title, I thought this was a question of the tone of the game itself, to which I would have answered, "Probably so."

I call them "Torches of Eternal Flame".

JoeReese

I never seem to have a use for Torches...

Keep 6 or 8 of them on hand. They come in very useful for the alchemy/enchanting labs in both Riften and Windhelm. I toss them onto the floor, then pick them up and steer them to the tops of bookshelves. Now my "secret lab" is brightly lit, and I just role play the fact that my house didn't burn to the ground while I slept. :)