Should lethal injection method be replaced with Justin Bieber songs?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
Perhaps the criminals in your country are pussy cats while the ones here are not. They would proudly murder one of your family members, and refuse to tell you where they stash the body at. What do you do in that situation? Give them money so they can talk? Give them a plea deal? Yeah lets promise them that they wouldn't seek death if they tell the authorizes where he stashed your families members body at. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all, and they still refuse even if they were offered a plea deal.

50-100 years ago when cops were pretty much allowed to do whatever they felt was neccesary; there was ALOT of false confessions. Why? Because like Drunkenmage said, people will say anything, no matter the implications, to get someone to stop kicking the pl*** out of them.

Not everyone can torture or to execute someone, but someone has to do it. Criminals aren't going to play nice, and so they have to be tortured to the point of them cracking up.

Do you think people in Animal shelters are sick in the head for euthanizing healthy kittens/cats/puppies and dogs? Theirs just not enough homes for these animals, and not enough space. It takes a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$ to care for these animals.

You know it takes a lot of money for the death penalty too? In most cases, more than life in prison. The long court process, trial delays, legal loopholes... it all adds up. So your money argument doesn't hold up.

For someone who allegedly hates Republicans, you sure as hell sound like one.
Are you seriously going to place all Republicans in the same boat?

He shares similar views as a lot of the popular Republican politicians. For this thread, I think its pretty fitting ;)

Mr.Self Destruct

Chosen Undead
No it doesn't. The only thing that's costing us money is the ridiculous criminal justice system here in the US. Once you're found guilty base on DNA (It doesn't lie) evidence you should be executed on that day, or on the next day. No waiting for 5 or 10 years later. As for the cost of the execution it self... were dealing with harden criminals here.

I say just put them in a work camp where they can at least do something productive, the outright killing of convicts is inhumane and is something we should be moving on from. This isn't the 1800's.
Why should they get an easy death by Lethal Injection?
There have been many cases of lethal injections taking a turn for the worst, often times incorrect dosages lead to inmates waking up during their execution and experiencing all the pain that comes with being pumped full of toxin.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=130959&page=1http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn7269-execution-by-injection-far-from-painless.html
http://civilliberty.about.com/od/capitalpunishment/ig/Types-of-Executions/Lethal-Injections.htm
That is whats so cost worthy. I'm in favor of bringing back the guillotine. Not sure why people view it gruesome. Even Adolf Hitler found it typically degrading form of execution. Perhaps they should checkout the crime scene photos of what that particular person did.... and do a comparison on what is more gruesome.

If you're trying to make the convict suffer (which is disturbing to say the least) the guillotine would be a horrible choice. It's a painless form of execution that kills in under an instant. Though it is pretty gruesome.
Criminals do not provide their victims pain killers prior to killing them. Their victims experienced gruesome pain prior to their deaths. Why should they be put forced into a coma like stage, and to be given a lethal cocktails of drugs without feeling any pain?

Because we aren't a bunch of savage barbarians who think an eye for an eye is something to live by.

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
50-100 years ago when cops were pretty much allowed to do whatever they felt was neccesary; there was ALOT of false confessions. Why? Because like Drunkenmage said, people will say anything, no matter the implications, to get someone to stop kicking the pl*** out of them.

You know it takes a lot of money for the death penalty too? In most cases, more than life in prison. The long court process, trial delays, legal loopholes... it all adds up. So your money argument doesn't hold up.

For someone who allegedly hates Republicans, you sure as hell sound like one.

He shares similar views as a lot of the popular Republican politicians. For this thread, I think its pretty fitting ;)
Alright. Just please make it more clear just who you are referring to next time, I do not like it when people make general statements about entire denominations, though I am guilty of it myself...*guilty face*

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer

Alright. Just please make it more clear just who you are referring to next time, I do not like it when people make general statements about entire denominations, though I am guilty of it myself...*guilty face*

Its ok, whenever I talk to Americans online I'm apparently talking to them from an igloo while drinking maple syrup.

Staff member
No it doesn't. The only thing that's costing us money is the ridiculous criminal justice system here in the US. Once you're found guilty base on DNA (It doesn't lie) evidence you should be executed on that day, or on the next day. No waiting for 5 or 10 years later. As for the cost of the execution it self... were dealing with harden criminals here.

I say just put them in a work camp where they can at least do something productive, the outright killing of convicts is inhumane and is something we should be moving on from. This isn't the 1800's.
Why should they get an easy death by Lethal Injection?
There have been many cases of lethal injections taking a turn for the worst, often times incorrect dosages lead to inmates waking up during their execution and experiencing all the pain that comes with being pumped full of toxin.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=130959&page=1http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn7269-execution-by-injection-far-from-painless.html
http://civilliberty.about.com/od/capitalpunishment/ig/Types-of-Executions/Lethal-Injections.htm
That is whats so cost worthy. I'm in favor of bringing back the guillotine. Not sure why people view it gruesome. Even Adolf Hitler found it typically degrading form of execution. Perhaps they should checkout the crime scene photos of what that particular person did.... and do a comparison on what is more gruesome.

If you're trying to make the convict suffer (which is disturbing to say the least) the guillotine would be a horrible choice. It's a painless form of execution that kills in under an instant. Though it is pretty gruesome.
Criminals do not provide their victims pain killers prior to killing them. Their victims experienced gruesome pain prior to their deaths. Why should they be put forced into a coma like stage, and to be given a lethal cocktails of drugs without feeling any pain?

Because we aren't a bunch of savage barbarians who think an eye for an eye is something to live by.
Putting them in a work camp doesn't guarantee that they won't escape, and/or commit crimes again. Some people just don't deserve another chance in my opinion.

Mr.Self Destruct

Chosen Undead
Putting them in a work camp doesn't guarantee that they won't escape, and/or commit crimes again. Some people just don't deserve another chance in my opinion.

Escapes from maximum security prisons are on the decline, and practically every convict who's managed to escape has almost always subsequently caught/killed/or committed suicide. That aside, I don't think killing all of them will solve the problem.

Staff member

Escapes from maximum security prisons are on the decline, and practically every convict who's managed to escape has almost always subsequently caught/killed/or committed suicide. That aside, I don't think killing all of them will solve the problem.
Well there will always be more criminals waiting around the corner. And I always thought it was costing us quite a bit of resources to build and maintain such institutions, as well as take care of the convicts, and cover the expenses of pursuing any escapees. I'm not saying kill them all, but there are some who show no interest or desire in rehabilitating, and simply refuse to learn from their mistakes.

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar

"The outright killing of convicts is inhumane and is something we should be moving on from." and did the murderers whom you're trying showing sympathy on death row gave their victims humane treatment when they took their lives? Perhaps I should show you some crime scene photos... or perhaps show you a photo of a child who was brutally raped and murdered... yet instead of executing these people you want these highly dangerous people to be sent to work camps. When will people learn that you can't kill people without paying the ultimate price for it? That does not send out a message to others. The United States are protected by their government from viewing such graphic footage and so people like you show sympathy for the murderers because you are protected from ever seeing their true harsh crimes.

Oh that's too bad (In a sarcastic tone). Did they make sure that their victims died a painless death? Or did they slowly killed them and got a sexual pleasure off of it? I bet they didn't give two plopss about the condition of their victims prior to their deaths so why should they get a painless death? Bring back Ole sparky so they can fry like pork chops.

Mr.Self Destruct

Chosen Undead
"The outright killing of convicts is inhumane and is something we should be moving on from." and did the murderers whom you're trying showing sympathy on death row gave their victims humane treatment when they took their lives? Perhaps I should show you some crime scene photos... or perhaps show you a photo of a child who was brutally raped and murdered...

Enacting policies based on emotions is a big no, when it comes to topics like this logic and rationality should come first. I'm very aware that people are capable of horrible things. But executing somebody won't undo what they've done, whoever was killed will stay dead and whoever was raped will have still been raped. All you're doing by killing a convict is fulfilling a misplaced sense of revenge.
yet instead of executing these people you want these highly dangerous people to be sent to work camps.

So something productive can come out of their sentence. I don't actually know how effective of a solution it'd be, and it was more or less a suggestion.
When will people learn that you can't kill people without paying the ultimate price for it? That does not send out a message to others

There were more executions in the 1920's and 1930's than any other decade in American history.

Ironically, the early 20th century was marked by one of the largest; if not the largest, crime wave in American history.
. The United States are protected by their government from viewing such graphic footage and so people like you show sympathy for the murderers because you are protected from ever seeing their true harsh crimes.

Sympathy for murderers? I'm being protected by the government from viewing graphic footage?

I live in a country that dolls out more executions per year than most of the world, and has some of the worst gun crime on the face of the earth and somehow I'm being sheltered. Meanwhile in Europe they're banning videogames for being too violent or too suggestive.
Oh that's too bad (In a sarcastic tone). Did they make sure that their victims died a painless death? Or did they slowly killed them and got a sexual pleasure off of it? I bet they didn't give two pl***s about the condition of their victims prior to their deaths so why should they get a painless death? Bring back Ole sparky so they can fry like pork chops.

• Generalizations
  • Emotions
Glad you aren't making the policies

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
I think hard labor camps is worse than death as I don't believe in rehabilitation for severe criminals.

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
I think hard labor camps is worse than death as I don't believe in rehabilitation for severe criminals.

You don't believe in giving them a chance for rehabilitation, or that they can be rehabilitated to begin with?

Oh, I believe that some prisoners can be rehabilitated but the more violent ones, the ones that deserve the death penalty (serial killers, rapists, murderers etc etc), can not and do not deserve to be. I also think that they should suffer for what they have done and that death is the easy way out (even if something goes wrong with the process and they do actually feel a lot of pain before they succumb to lethal injection). Some of these people aren't afraid of death so doing that doesn't send a message, what will send a message is forcing them to slave away at hard labour for the good of society for the rest of their lives. Personally, I'd pick lethal injection over that.

Mr.Self Destruct

Chosen Undead
Oh, I believe that some prisoners can be rehabilitated but the more violent ones, the ones that deserve the death penalty (serial killers, rapists, murderers etc etc), can not and do not deserve to be.

Well I think it's definitely possible for them to redeem themselves/rehabilitate. From what I've seen of Death Row documentaries most of the inmates interviewed seems to show regret for what they've done, and have pretty much accepted their fate. I don't think you can say that it's outright impossible for someone who's killed or raped to turn their lives around. Though I'm sure there's a lot of criminals out there who don't show interest in redeeming themselves.

Why wouldn't someone deserve rehabilitation? Are you saying that a serial killer doesn't deserve to admit what he did was wrong, and try to move on from it? Would you rather they remain set in their ways up until the point they get the needle?
I also think that they should suffer for what they have done and that death is the easy way out (even if something goes wrong with the process and they do actually feel a lot of pain before they succumb to lethal injection). Some of these people aren't afraid of death so doing that doesn't send a message, what will send a message is forcing them to slave away at hard labour for the good of society for the rest of their lives. Personally, I'd pick lethal injection over that.

So you're saying you'd rather have no message be sent? I'm not really following you, are you saying that you personally think the death penalty is a better fate than going to a labor camp or that prisoners should be executed instead of being sent to work?

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
Well I think it's definitely possible for them to redeem themselves/rehabilitate. From what I've seen of Death Row documentaries most of the inmates interviewed seems to show regret for what they've done, and have pretty much accepted their fate. I don't think you can say that it's outright impossible for someone who's killed or raped to turn their lives around. Though I'm sure there's a lot of criminals out there who don't show interest in redeeming themselves.

Why wouldn't someone deserve rehabilitation? Are you saying that a serial killer doesn't deserve to admit what he did was wrong, and try to move on from it? Would you rather they remain set in their ways up until the point they get the needle?

Oh they can redeem themselves, as they should, but how much are you going to trust their redemption to let a serial killer back into society? Most of them end up killing again even after being released. I watch a bunch of prison documentaries all the time, and I still wouldn't let half of the death row inmates out from just hearing interviews and their stories. I'm about being merciful, but not foolish. Not everyone can be saved.

I also think that they should suffer for what they have done and that death is the easy way out (even if something goes wrong with the process and they do actually feel a lot of pain before they succumb to lethal injection). Some of these people aren't afraid of death so doing that doesn't send a message, what will send a message is forcing them to slave away at hard labour for the good of society for the rest of their lives. Personally, I'd pick lethal injection over that.

So you're saying you'd rather have no message be sent? I'm not really following you, are you saying that you personally think the death penalty is a better fate than going to a labor camp or that prisoners should be executed instead of being sent to work?[/quote]

If I had a choice between being sent to a hard labour camp for the rest of my life or lethal injection, I would pick lethal injection. That is to say hard labour camps are what the punishment should be, and what should be used on criminals who would have warranted a death penalty sentence. The death penalty is a better fate for them, its an easy punishment compared to hard labour.

Mr.Self Destruct

Chosen Undead
Oh they can redeem themselves, as they should, but how much are you going to trust their redemption to let a serial killer back into society? Most of them end up killing again even after being released. I watch a bunch of prison documentaries all the time, and I still wouldn't let half of the death row inmates out from just hearing interviews and their stories. I'm about being merciful, but not foolish. Not everyone can be saved.

Yeah, that's the issue. And I agree with you about approaching this entire thing with caution. A prisoner shouldn't be released just because he says he's all better now.
If I had a choice between being sent to a hard labour camp for the rest of my life or lethal injection, I would pick lethal injection. That is to say hard labour camps are what the punishment should be, and what should be used on criminals who would have warranted a death penalty sentence. The death penalty is a better fate for them, its an easy punishment compared to hard labour.

Well, that is a matter of opinion. It'd depend on the conditions of such a facility. If it meant living in near solitary confinement and only leaving your cell to slave away, then yeah, I'd probably opt for the needle instead.

I just don't think it makes sense to kill a prisoner to show that it's bad to kill people.

Staff member
I just don't think it makes sense to kill a prisoner to show that it's bad to kill people.

They've been shown, in almost every case, that killing people is bad or at least frowned upon all their lives. The death penalty isn't to show killing is wrong, it is meant to carry out justice.

Mr.Self Destruct

Chosen Undead
They've been shown, in almost every case, that killing people is bad or at least frowned upon all their lives.
So why is the death penalty even around if killing people is bad.
The death penalty isn't to show killing is wrong, it is meant to carry out justice.

If it's just meant to appease some sense of vengeance, and isn't meant to send some kind of message, what's the point.

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
Well, that is a matter of opinion. It'd depend on the conditions of such a facility. If it meant living in near solitary confinement and only leaving your cell to slave away, then yeah, I'd probably opt for the needle instead.

No, its incredibly hypocritical and while I don't outright agree with it, if it is the only thing for an "ultimate punishment" then it should be used. If nothing else, to give the families of the victims closure as they deserve it more than the criminal deserves their life. I would still much rather see serial killers and rapists slave away at labour camps for 20+ years.

The death penalty isn't to show killing is wrong, it is meant to carry out justice.

Debatable, I would venture to say it gives more closure than anything else. True justice to me is giving back what is dealt, and hard labour camps are pretty damn brutal.

Staff member
They've been shown, in almost every case, that killing people is bad or at least frowned upon all their lives.
So why is the death penalty even around if killing people is bad.

If it's just meant to appease some sense of vengeance, and isn't meant to send some kind of message, what's the point.

No, its incredibly hypocritical and while I don't outright agree with it, if it is the only thing for an "ultimate punishment" then it should be used. If nothing else, to give the families of the victims closure as they deserve it more than the criminal deserves their life. I would still much rather see serial killers and rapists slave away at labour camps for 20+ years.

Debatable, I would venture to say it gives more closure than anything else. True justice to me is giving back what is dealt, and hard labour camps are pretty damn brutal.
Granted. (fancy way of agreeing with you)

Staff member
Still, a labour camp isn't a sure bet to keep them out of society, and slavery can be just as controversial as the death penalty. Such a thing would have to be tread on delicately, and in order to put such a policy into action someone would have to take incredibly delicate steps. It would be extremely expensive at first, and if the prisoners refused to work or didn't put out enough resources, it would be inefficient. All in all, it's not as safe as the death sentence. With the death sentence, you can be certain they're not going to commit their crimes again, not that I'm saying such an institution wouldn't work.