• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Whisper34

I thought it would be nice to hear some other players tips on thieving. Techniques or targets with lots of loot would be nice to hear.

Lately I have taken to stealing things right in front of NPCs. I don't know if anyone has mentioned it before, but if I want to steal an item that is out in the open in front of one or more NPCs I have found an easy way to do it. Instead of trying to sneak around and be all stealthy and snatch it at just the right moment I have moved on to a lazier approach. Instead of taking the item and putting it into my inventory I just hold down the "A" button on XBOX and pick up the item without putting it into my inventory. I haven't found the NPC yet who seems to mind me carrying it around the corner where I can put it down and steal it where no one is watching. I haven't found anything I can't steal this way yet. I walk into shops and pickup the junk on their counters carry it into another room or dark corner and steal it.

Gearuvagen

I know, You know
I prefer to pickpocket,just join The Guild for the easy out with guards and go around stealing from people. Most people like Stewards,Houscarls, Black-Briars, Battle-Borns etc... are likely to have enchanted swag just floating around in their pockets waiting...nay..begging to be taken. :D
Not to mention Misdirection and Perfect Touch make raiding bandits hideouts a sight nothing like two bandits beating each other to death in the loincloths thanks to Perfect Touch and a Frenzy poison.

jonathan90

well known member
I love to be a theif, Just love pickpocket too.:DBut you can break into any house you want.
But.....if they wake up before 4 am, your stuffed.

Finnsson

Prince of Denmark
I use that fantastic Skyrim logic for my own wicked purposes. That is:

1. View the contents of target's pockets.

2. Trail target to a dark alley.

3. Pickpocket target. Alternatively, assassinate target.

4. Reap rewards.

And it helps tremendously that you can rummage through people's pockets without anyone caring. Like, what?

tumblr_m6f14hd6861rwf6h3o1_500.jpg

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
Have a look in Endons house in Markath and also the markath treasury house next door.
I also use the carry trick that the OP said, very handy just pick it up, walk round the corner with it and then steal it quickly.
Pickpocketing can be lucrative just store your stolen goods because otherwise every time your caught the guards will take it and you'll have to recover it from the dungeon.
Muffle is also very handy and invisibility is made for thieves(and assassins). cast muffle then invisibility and you're completely undetectable when sneaking.
Alchemy stores are the best to steal from, lot's of high value, low weight items, also if you use paralyze you can pickpocket everything from them, even equipped items and they won't be hostile.
Prowler's profit is worth getting too, I have so many flawless gems, literally hundreds of each.

Smarty

I agree with wrighty above, get Prowler's profit. Use the gems with silver/gold ingots to make jewelry and the stolen item status is removed. You can even enchant them which makes even more profit. An added bonus is it increases your smithing and enchanting.

MaraRose

I always loved those boots with the muffles enchantment. And i use my bow alot, kind of like a sniper, from far away. Always have my major archery fortified ring and circlet/light armor helmet.

Iveri Sarothil

Get highest level Sneak and all the perks. Preferably have a good amount of perks invested into Pickpocketing, too.
Dress in civilian clothes. Unequip weapons. Go to tavern. Sit in a chair.
Have some ale.
Get up, pop sneak, nip something out of a passersby's pocket, sit back down.
Continue to enjoy ale.
Profit.

Jarrad

I prefer to pickpocket people at night time... while stealing all the valuables from their houses. The stewards of most hold capitals are usually my main targets, they have some nice stuff stashed away both on their person and in their room.