Several Newbie question in 1 thread

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Wraypau

How can you improve on how much you carry. I hate loading up with stuff, and then walking slow. I have a companion, but I overloaded her also, it keeps saying she cannot carry, Item is to heavy to carry. I know that I could get a horse to quick travel overloaded, but its still a b!tch walking out of a dungeon at turtle speeds. And if you get attacked, you have to drop everything to get weighted right, so that you can fight without the enemy dodging everything.

I keep trying to level up in pickpocketing (a lot of people have good stuff to steal), so I tried the level up trick, where you pay for experience, and then pickpocket the lady. Well, i keep getting caught, and it says I have 0% chance of stealing? Any helps?

I dont know if this is already posted, or if you can post a link to another site on this forum, but here is a really cool map image of Skyrim, and if you want you can print it out on 9 pages, to make a
3 ft^2 map to hang on wall:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/skyrim/mapofskyrim.php#null

I am assuming that if you find an enchanted item, that you should disenchant it before selling it, so you learn the new enchantment. Is this the best approach? Is there anywhere to buy enchantments?

How many perks are there in the game? Is there a perk for every glowing star on the perks star map? Should you try and level up some perk chains first? If so, which do you recommend?

I think this is the most important question, I have found and made (alchemy) some potions that say conflicting advantages... i.e. **Increase Stamina by 15 pt, stamina will regenerate10% slower for 30 seconds***

Does this mean, that I will get the initial 15pt boost in stamina, but my stamina regenerates 10% slower for 30 secs, or that the person I'm fighting generates 10% slower for 30 seconds? Some of those potions seem to have negative effects, and I am broke and new, so I havent been wasting them to try them out. I only use them when I am about to die...

Please note, I am using mostly greatsword, and heavy armor, so 2 handed attacks. Should I try and start using a shield/1 hand weapon or magic/one hand weapon??? I guess after a while, I will need to switch to something different to start leveling up on those perks....

Thanks for all the help!

Volsung

Fortune favours the Bold
When you level up, picking stamina gives you 5 more carry weight.

Pickpocket easy things to level up, or buy some levels off the Khajit trader or at the Theives Guild.

If you disenchant an item, it destroys it. You then have that enchantment you can use, but it will usually be weaker than what it was on the item you destroyed to learn it.

Depends on your character. I focused on sneak at first because I wanted stealth over all. I spread my perks out evenly depending on what I was leveling at the time.

Hope this helps.

Garrison

How can you improve on how much you carry. I hate loading up with stuff, and then walking slow. I have a companion, but I overloaded her also, it keeps saying she cannot carry, Item is to heavy to carry. I know that I could get a horse to quick travel overloaded, but its still a b!tch walking out of a dungeon at turtle speeds. And if you get attacked, you have to drop everything to get weighted right, so that you can fight without the enemy dodging everything.

The companion is key as it effectively doubles your capacity. What I do is to clear the dungeon while not picking up anything other than magic that may help you for that dungeon; otherwise as you mentioned fighting is hampered, plus its easier afterwards to find bodies than to find the odds and ends that you've scattered throughout the dungeon.. Then you can loot to capacity and fast travel. Depending on the size of the dungeon, it may take you a few trips. It will still likely be much quicker (and safer) than slow-walking back to town with everything in one shot. The house & smith for Whiterun are right at the Fast Travel entrance, so it is pretty efficient.

If you anticipate several trips than you can always ditch your armor and weapons as well at your house (buy the house at Whiterun asap), thereby significantly increasing your capacity. The increase to Stamina will help, but it won't make much of a difference in the long run. Carry a couple of potions (Strength, i think they're called) for this as well, just in case you're only slightly over and can save yourself a second trip.

Relief will happen later in the game when you can select Armor perks that effectively reduce your armor weight to 0.

Wraypau

Anybody know any pick pocketing potions? Also, does sneaking potions help increase chance of Pick pocketing?

Agincourt

'Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!'
For Crafting/Brewing Fortify Pickpocket potions mate you need some of these beautys - Blue Dartwing/Nordic Barnacle/Orange Dartwing/Slaughterfish Egg, and tbh Sneaking potions won't help with you chance to Pickpocket, but might be useful if your Sneak is low to get in the right place to pickpocket.

Wraypau

Here is another question, what potions do you like to make, I mean, which potions give you the best effects for you adventures?

Which potions are the best for selling?

thraashman

I've noticed that regeneration potions tend to sell for a lot. Once you get a high enough skill in it, creating Smithing potions is good as you can create a better one than you can buy. This helps when improving weaponry and armor if you wanna make your character badass.

brandon

at lower levels only take stuff that has a good gold per pound percentage. the stores dont have much gold anyway. potions are always great to sell.other then the ones you use. weapons and armor if theyre enchanted if not its really not worth the weight to take them. you can find more gold on the bodies of drow then you would make from selling theyre weapons anyway. skill books are always great and worth 50 gold or more.

brandon

Here is another question, what potions do you like to make, I mean, which potions give you the best effects for you adventures?

i only keep heath and stamina potions i dont use much magic other then a restoration spell if i didnt wanna waste my health potions. and i keep 1 or 2 strenght potions if i find the one item i cant pass up. and if you dont have a house yet the barrels outside of warmaidens is what i used to store stuff before i had mine, if you take a strentgh potion itll let you fast travel but youll be overencumbered once it loads.

Jaeger

For leveling tips, google pickpocketing Skyrim wiki. The first should be the Skyrim wiki page for the pickpocketing skill. At the bottom are leveling tips.

If you're just power gaming or roleplaying a necromancer or death knight you could find a dead person or animal, or kill one, store all your stuff inside the carcus (sp) (it holds tons), cast raise zombie, fast travel to town, zombie gets turned to dust, pick up stuff from the ash pile. WARNING: save before you do that. Doing this fast traveling to whiterun, I couldn't find the zombie. But, to the stables worked. Moving out of a dungeon (like you raised a dead'un inside after giving it all your stuff) with a zombie will destroy it too. So, don't do that.

Leveling Conjuration is casting soul trap on a dead person.

brandon

but i pick up any and all ingredentients i can. then i go and make whatever i can i dont keep them. but some regen potions and poisons can be worth over 300 gold. and i once made 1 that was worth close to 600. but i cant ever find the right ingredeints again. i didnt relize i had it till i sold it.

dellfenian

Dovahkiin
The Steed Stone standing stone is good for packing stuff around.

what exactly benefits do you get from the stead stone? and where is it?

brandon

not sure about the location but my wife found it and it increased her carry cap to around 600 lbs

BadRaZoR

I don't know if you are playing on a PC but if you are, you can open up the command prompt and change your carrying capacity from whatever it is to 3000. This way you can carry as much junk as you want and never worry about weight again. I know this is a form of cheating but if i take the time to clear out a dungeon, i want ALL the loot in it. Now matter how little it sells for, the stuff adds up.

brandon

I don't know if you are playing on a PC but if you are, you can open up the command prompt and change your carrying capacity from whatever it is to 3000. This way you can carry as much junk as you want and never worry about weight again. I know this is a form of cheating but if i take the time to clear out a dungeon, i want ALL the loot in it. Now matter how little it sells for, the stuff adds up.
im on a 360. but yeah thats kinda like cheating. not as bad as ive seen some pc cheats like starting with all your stats at 100. thats gayness but i wouldnt mind being able to carry more. but i would never keep enough stuff to get that high. i either sell what i dont need or leave it in my house till later.

Agincourt

'Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!'
at lower levels only take stuff that has a good gold per pound percentage. the stores dont have much gold anyway. potions are always great to sell.other then the ones you use. weapons and armor if theyre enchanted if not its really not worth the weight to take them. you can find more gold on the bodies of drow then you would make from selling theyre weapons anyway. skill books are always great and worth 50 gold or more.

This is the best way to do it in my view, its what i do, pick up the enchanted stuff and anything thats worth a lot and is light

BadRaZoR

im on a 360. but yeah thats kinda like cheating. not as bad as ive seen some pc cheats like starting with all your stats at 100. thats gayness but i wouldnt mind being able to carry more. but i would never keep enough stuff to get that high. i either sell what i dont need or leave it in my house till later.

Its the only cheat i would use in game. The most i've carried was 1600+ weight. I'm a firm believer that cheating will ruin any game but i have no problem tweaking my carrying capacity :)