Senator Murphy & Yee blaming Violent Video Games

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

ness91

Dovah do faal Brom
So today, Senator Murphy from CT & Senator Yee from CA pointing fingers at violent video games is a joke.

Murphy said: “...there’s a question as to whether [the Sandy Hook shooter] would have driven in his mother’s car in the first place if he didn’t have access to a weapon that he saw in video games that gave him a false sense of courage about what he could do that day.”

Yee said: “Gamers have got to just quiet down. Gamers have no credibility in this argument. This is all about their lust for violence and the industry’s lust for money. This is a billion-dollar industry. This is about their self-interest...”

These two guys can stick their finger up their ass. Don't blame video games because of the poor choice a person made. Blame parents for given an easy access to things that shouldn't be touch. The funny part is that the Sandy Hook victims didn't say anything about video games being the problem and I feel after you're 18, everything falls on that person [Sandy Hook shooter was 20]. Stop trying to look for a scapegoat. Video Games are fiction, not non-fiction. Do you see cyborgs with swords killing other cyborgs, assassins with hidden blades jumping from roof to roof, or people casting fire spells? No! People [like the Senators] need to start separating fiction [video games] from non-fiction [real life]. My heart and prayers still go out to the Sandy Hook victims to this day because if something would happen to my 8 year old brother I would be destroyed but I wouldn't blame video games.

What do others think?

Gunnbjorn

Formerly known as Arillious
This is as absurd as saying Donuts are to blame for making me fat and that Marijuana is the reason I am a coke addict.

Why is it that one can so easily put certain things to blame? Are we all supposed to be banned access from certain things because some people have no mental morality and are too easily influenced?

There has been talk that the whole Sandy Hook thing was a complete conspiracy in order to put a ban on Guns, here's a rather interesting video that all is true - I have done the research.

The REAL CRAZY STUFF begins at the 8:00 mark.

Thorn

In the Hist we trust
This is as absurd as saying Donuts are to blame for making me fat and that Marijuana is the reason I am a coke addict.

Why is it that one can so easily put certain things to blame? Are we all supposed to be banned access from certain things because some people have no mental morality and are too easily influenced?

There has been talk that the whole Sandy Hook thing was a complete conspiracy in order to put a ban on Guns, here's a rather interesting video that all is true - I have done the research.

The REAL CRAZY STUFF begins at the 8:00 mark.

I really like that video, Thanks for sharing it

Moris

Just world hypothesis. People need to find a reason for bad things to happen. They need to place blame in order to feel safe and secure because recognizing the randomness of terrible events opens up the possibility that they will be the next to suffer. This is why blaming the victim is so popular.

While some politicians suffer equally from this need to justify all negative events, I expect most merely use these events as a way to gain popularity by appearing to deal with a problem without actually doing anything about it at all.

Blaming video games is a tactic used to deflect blame away from more direct and obviously related causes, such as easy access to firearms.

Gunnbjorn

Blaming video games is a tactic used to deflect blame away from more direct and obviously related causes, such as easy access to firearms.

And some people actually believe what they are saying. It's the dumbing down of America.

Moris

And some people actually believe what they are saying. It's the dumbing down of America.

The problem has been around as long as politicians have, which is why we have the word 'demagogue'. I don't, myself, think America is any less smart, on the whole, than it has ever been. (Its success as a powerful nation is not accidental; I'm no American, but I believe its people are damned smart.) Though, I will readily agree that the level of discussion about politics in the mainstream mass media does seem to have reached a remarkably low point.

Mind you, there were complaints about yellow journalism back in the late nineteenth century, when the term was coined. Some of the claims made by the press back then would make you wince. ;)

Gunnbjorn

The problem has been around as long as politicians have, which is why we have the word 'demagogue'. I don't, myself, think America is any less smart, on the whole, than it has ever been. Though, I will readily agree that the level of discussion about politics in the mainstream mass media does seem to have reached a remarkably low point.

Mind you, there were complaints about yellow journalism back in the late nineteenth century, when the term was coined. Some of the claims made by the press back then would make you wince. ;)

Very true, everything needs to be labeled as something, and everything needs to be blown out of proportion. When I run for President (and get elected) I am sending all Politicians and Journalists to Mars.

TheLonelyWolve

My precious
The majority of people that havent become violent because of violent games...It's countless, it's the mentally disabled people they should be keeping away from games and thats a fact.

Moris

The majority of people that havent become violent because of violent games...It's countless, it's the mentally disabled people they should be keeping away from games and thats a fact.

Agreed. The same is true of drugs and alcohol. They are dangerous only in the wrong hands. Those who object to restrictions on gun ownership would also say the same thing.

I guess the question we have to ask is which of the many things that could possibly contribute to a tragic event are the most plausible, and which, if eliminated, would result in the least harm and the greatest harm reduction.

If you like guns, then you'll probably want to blame video games, movies, rap music, drugs, and alcohol -- in short, anything but guns.

If you're a drinker, you'll blame everything but booze.

It'd be nice if we could identify ahead of time who was mentally disabled in a way that would lead to violence, but as yet, we don't seem very good at it at all.

Gunnbjorn

They are too lazy to pay attention to anyone, so they disregard them and blame it on something else, and try to ban it.

I've heard that they are trying to reduce the size of gun magazines to 10 bullets per round (I don't know if that makes sense) so that if somebody decides to shoot up a school, they won't be able to kill as many people. Obviously they're not paying attention to the giant loophole that is fact that 1 bullet can kill 1 person, so that's 10 people you can kill, shooters just have to be more accurate.

The Threat Posed by Gun Magazine Limits - Reason.com

The simple fact that the reasoning behind such a law is to prevent shooter from killing less people just shows how ridiculously popular shooting up a school has become, guns are too easily obtained and they should be banned.

All of these people are getting butt hurt about "their rights to bare arms." That rule was put into the constitution 224 years ago - when everyone was carrying around muskets, a gun that held one small bullet and took years to reload. The next amendment after that is The Prohibition of forced quartering of soldiers during peacetime. It's time for some revisions to our constitution.

TheLonelyWolve

My precious
One of those school killing alos the guy was mentally ill, most killings in my country the person has been mentally ill, doesnt stop them being imprisoned, but the fact that no one actknowledges that.

Moris

One of those school killing alos the guy was mentally ill, most killings in my country the person has been mentally ill, doesnt stop them being imprisoned, but the fact that no one actknowledges that.

Thing is most mentally ill people are never violent towards others. How can you tell who will become violent and who won't until it's already happened? It's not easy.

There have been cases in many countries of mentally ill people seeking help for their violent compulsions and being unable to get it, true. This does point to a problem with access to medical intervention. Mental health is always considered the least important, and is never adequately funded -- that does need to change.

Thorn

In the Hist we trust
It is not just America that is that way, all of us are I believe now mislead all of the time. What is the difference between politicians in America and those in Europe or Asia, other than laguages?

Gunnbjorn

It is not just America that is that way, all of us are I believe now mislead all of the time. What is the difference between politicians in America and those in Europe or Asia, other than laguages?

Nothing. But the topic of this thread is based on a tragic shooting that happened in America, and the ridiculous things that American politicians are blaming as the cause of it.

And I don't know much about Europe or Asia, but us Americans have been living by the same Constitution for 224 years, it's way outdated and needs to be revised. Everybody knows Slavery is abolished and British soldiers haven't been stationed in America for quite awhile.

TheLonelyWolve

My precious
Thing is most mentally ill people are never violent towards others. How can you tell who will become violent and who won't until it's already happened? It's not easy.

There have been cases in many countries of mentally ill people seeking help for their violent compulsions and being unable to get it, true. This does point to a problem with access to medical intervention. Mental health is always considered the least important, and is never adequately funded -- that does need to change.

Its those who dont want to seek help, or there family members urging them on, or some dumb doctors who give them a priscription, diagnose them with something random and send them on there way.

Moris

I think because of the way the media is so revered in the US, the circus has a bigger audience. I mean, Obama and Romney spend a billion dollars on their campaigns, each of which lasts, essentially, two years?

The UK is no stranger to the media circus, but its TV stations are fiercely regulated in what they can and cannot cover, so most of the worst is confined to the print media.

In other words, yes, it happens everywhere. It's just much more open and visible in the US.

Moris

Nothing. But the topic of this thread is based on a tragic shooting that happened in America, and the ridiculous things that American politicians are blaming as the cause of it.

And I don't know much about Europe or Asia, but us Americans have been living by the same Constitution for 224 years, it's way outdated and needs to be revised. Everybody knows Slavery is abolished and British soldiers haven't been stationed in America for quite awhile.

I'm a fan of the constitution, actually. Conn law was one of my favorite subjects.

I think that because it contains within itself a method for revision via amendment, it should be a viable document for some time.

However, the current atmosphere of bitter divisiveness and polarity among the public makes it seem unlikely that the requirements for an amendment could ever be met. Of course, many complain that the government is too influenced by special interests (a buzz word for conservatives) and there are many special interests on both sides of the aisle. I think it's likely that what needs to change first are campaign finance laws and laws which regulate the disbursement of funds to elected officials.

Of course it may also be the case that the 3/4 rule for ratification of a new amendment is simply no longer a reasonable hurdle to demand. But it's a catch-22. You'd have to meet that demand first in order to change it.

Daedra'Mc'Bitch

Gee, those guys sure like to exaggerate the effect of seeing violence in a video game can have on your brain. Oh look, I found an assault rifle in Call of Duty! I hereby forgo all logic and reasoning, steal my mom's car (GTA made me do it), and commit a mass shooting.

Oh wait, my words have no credibility because my sole reason for purchasing a game is due to my lust for violence, not because I want to have fun or anything.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Violent video games would probably help in these types of things, people relieve stress and anger on fictional virtual enemies. The simple fact Governments blame violent video games is because it is easier, I feel that America would target video games over their constitution any time. Every country has gun violence, unless they plan Martial Law violence will always be high in some areas.

Blaming video games just seems like the easy ticket because maybe they want a cut of the sales, billion dollar industry "We'll outlaw it, unless you pay us a nice cut for the violent games" They're always the best sellers.

Violence is in human nature, for thousands of years we have been violent, killing each other over just about everything you can think of. Should we blame video games for killings that happened all through history? Violence is apart of us, just like how people get off the thrill of fear, like soldiers who have been in combat for so long they start to enjoy it, the feeling of being shot at becomes a rush. If we remove violent video games, perhaps people will become even more violent without that small release.

Perhaps in a few years we will blame suicide on fast food.

You get worse plops in movies than video games.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts