• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Tokowei

Dear Forum,

I have an issue. I love Skyrim to death. I play it before work, after work, and on weekdays all through the might. My character has a better sleep cycle than I do. I used to be all sword and shield guy, all through my MMORPG career, but because this game is so complex I've gone down The Magic path and haven't even thought about turning back.

I play on the PC, and on max or relatively high settings. Everything is beautiful, but the problem is the dungeons are too graphic. I'm not scared of the creepy stuff like this, but ever since one fateful incident in Oblivion, while I was in one of the Oblivion planes, I was literally scared plopsless. I won't go into heavy details, but since then I've never played first person again and have had a certain wary of dungeons. And it seems every quest is dungeon related, one way or the other.

So, do you guys have any tips on how to get over my phobia?

P.S. The Oblivion Dungeons were just demonic. As soon as I found out the whole main quest revolved around diving in and out of these things I just stopped playing.

KANE OG

My tip; stop playing. You have serious underlying issues if a game freaks you out that bad. Get yourself some therapy and come back and play.

Tokowei

My tip; stop playing. You have serious underlying issues if a game freaks you out that bad. Get yourself some therapy and come back and play.

Probably. I shouldn't used the word scared so much. I still run them and all, I just am a little "creeped out". Nothing gamebreaking.

morguen87

|\/| P |/\|
Enjoy it. I wish I could be as immersed with you, probably the only way to get over your phobia is to keep dungeon diving and get used it. But I wish I was scared, I'd enjoy the game more. Lol, you should try Condemned, it's a horror game that uses similar melee combat but instead of it being a fantasy game you're mostly in old subway systems and old buildings fighting the crazy homeless population. Play that and you won't be scared of any dungeons. It's one of the only games to make me jump a lot but that's why I enjoyed it.

Elvus

I used to get kind of uneasy near oblivion dungeons and regretted going near the oblivion gates because the red screen would make me feel uneasy,but never really "scared". When skyrim came out I started to find the dungeons extremely fun instead of scary. Just learn to enjoy the scary man,its all in good fun:)

KANE OG

.... and didn't mean to come across as a dick, but I don't know you and a phobia towards a video game just seems odd to me. I mean, if you were getting seizures or something from the graphics I could understand (from a friend's issues). But a psychological issue with dungeons I can't relate to.

I wish you luck tho, and good hunting. :)

ActOfGod

Let's kill someone!
This game will forever break you of your fears.

the dungeons are really well done. and I agree, they can be scary.
in fact sometimes its dark and claustrophobic and I just freak out and run toward the entrance.

PaperTulip

I find them so well done a creepy too. I'm not a big fan of closed in spaces IRL, so the Skyrims ones are just perfect for that creepy monster feeling.

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
Yeah, I remember in Oblivion the dungeons were a bit scary. Like skeletons hanging off of ceilings and whatnot.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
bring your companions. I'm sure a little bit of company will help you brave through the dungeons!

Touchstone

Bring companions, and have some fun or enjoyable music playing while you play the game.

Nightshade

I'm really sorry the dungeons are giving you a tough time to get through. I'm a bit jumpy at times (especially late at night when I'm lacking in sleep) and the creatures that pop out really scare me and catch me off guard. I remember having trouble in Oblivion because the Gates gave me an uneasy feeling. If it's putting any kind of toll on you that is causing you physical discomfort, I would suggest taking a break. If you feel up to continuing playing, there are some techniques you could try.

Try watching something funny before playing (like a video featuring funny glitches and moments in the game) or even listening to some calming music. Make fun of the creatures while playing to give them a new feel (the next time a Falmer attacks, just say "Hey Pancake, stop right there!"- anything silly to lighten your mood). That's what I sometimes do during scary movies if it's getting to me.

If that's not quite your style, have a friend or someone you feel comfortable with (if they're available and willing) to watch you play. Also, I've found having a follower in the game a bit comforting. It makes me feel not so alone while traversing the land. One thing to always remember is that it's just a game. Skyrim is extremely immersive and realistic and can draw you in easily. As soon as you get scared, STOP, and say "This is just a game. This ugly Draugr is not real and will not actually hurt me." I'm sure you know this, but confirming it to yourself could alleviate underlying fears.

Sometimes fears are also overcome through means of exposure. The more you expose yourself to that of which you are afraid, the less frightening it becomes. You could become desensitized to the enemies and the environment with time, which will lessen their initial shock factor.

I apologize for writing you a novel here, but I really feel for you! I hope this helps somewhat and good luck :)

xanuben

I tend to get some embarassing moments myself when some draugr sneaks in and shouts me in the face or some freaking giant spider drops on me from the ceiling... those things really make me jump, especially when playing with headphones on. Lately I tend to use the shout to reveal lifesigns in my area, helps to be prepared a little.

Nightshade

The shout that shows lifesigns is a good one to have, as xanuben stated. I got it progressing through the main story line, but there might be other ways to obtain it.

Tokowei

Thanks for all of your help guys. I'm going to start bringing Lydia with me and maybe up the brightness on dungeons.

Ugeine

I completely relate dude, I get exactly the same with games. Manhunt was like watching all the Saw films back to back. In Fallout 3, I went into this vault where you started having these hallucinations (in game, not me in real life, lol!). Freaked me right out, legged it out the vault and never returned!

Is it like a horror movie, where it makes you jump and accelerates your heart rate? Or is it the kind of fear you get when you’re in danger?

I usually get the first, which is the way the games were designed, if you don’t want to stop playing then take regular breaks, maybe for twenty minutes every hour, just to stop yourself from getting to ‘in’ to it.

Also, I imagine you play it sober, and not under the influence of anything? Because those kind of things won’t help matters.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts