Spoiler RP Controversy - The Companions -

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
Some of my characters join the Companions only to leave them behind once they find out about the infiltration of beast blood. It's an important part of some of their stories, where they learn not to be so naive and to see things for themselves before passing judgement.
That's what I'm going to do. My character is a Khajiit and it doesn't make much sense for her to turn into a werewolf. So as soon as she finds about the werewolf thing, She's going to be "See ya! I'm outta here."

It also doesn't make much sense that she'd be allowed into the Companions :p
Ria got in and all she did was kill a bear, or so she says EVERY FREAKIN DAY SHE SEES ME!!!!

:rolleyes:

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Personally I enjoy being a werewolf, but I agree with you about the RP. Mine are always Nord Male Mercenaries. Period. Sure they can do mostly good things in general, but, frankly, it's the only way I can RP it.

Mercenaries - The Companions are basically mercenaries in the first place so that's one check.

Male... well... because - no, really. My females are almost always not good people (nothing personal ladies. I just think women are smart enough to use a situation to their advantage and not just be lugs so I usually play them as relatively neutral morally). Besides, I make my female characters to be beautiful and a werewolf is NOT beautiful (agaiin, sorry for all of you that think Aela is the cat's meow, she's a dog... no, I mean literally!)

Nord - well, just because. The Companions have always been Nord and to me they always should be. The Dunmer they have there is a creep and I kill him whenever I can. He doesn't belong at all.

I have to agree that Argonian & Khajit's should not be companions. It just doesn't make any sense. Lizard to Canine? No way. Feline to Canine? Probably not, but at least they're both mammals.

JMO! :)

Daelon DuLac

The Dunmer they have there is a creep and I kill him whenever I can. He doesn't belong at all.

This man has been irreversibly contaminated by high doses of exposure to Windhelm. Alert the HazImps :eek:
You are right. It does sound very Windhelmien. I'm not usually that way and almost never side with the Stormcloaks as I can't stand their racism.

I actually do like most of the Dunmer in Windhelm (although the males are notoriously whiny) and feel bad for them. I even like the few Altmer up there too!

I just don't think that this particular Dunmer belongs with the Companions (for the reasons stated).

I wonder why, on the whole, it seems like most Dunmer are such creeps. While the baddies are spread out through many races, so many of them are Dunmer, particularly the mages. I wonder if Dunmer, Khajit & Argonians end up on the bad side because they're discriminated against in Skyrim. Could be....

AS88

Staff member

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
The Dunmer they have there is a creep and I kill him whenever I can. He doesn't belong at all.

I have to agree that Argonian & Khajit's should not be companions. It just doesn't make any sense. Lizard to Canine? No way. Feline to Canine? Probably not, but at least they're both mammals.

JMO! :)

I don't know the Master Swordsman (I say master just cause that is the phrase, and since he can teach you up to expert his own skill would technically be a little higher than that level)

And the companions are all about skill and not about who you were related to. At least to me.

I mean why else would Aela have to be tested when her parents were both companions. You are placing to much importance, to me, on the Werewolf part of the equation. The Companions existed before they became werewolves and continue after they get cured. It is Mercenaries that some happen to be werewolves. Not a werewolf clan noted for being skilled mercenaries.

Daelon DuLac

Nord - well, just because. The Companions have always been Nord and to me they always should be. The Dunmer they have there is a creep and I kill him whenever I can. He doesn't belong at all.:)

Well there was that Elven Harbinger... And a Redguard one...

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Henantier_the_Outsider
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Cirroc_the_Lofty
Really? Cool! I had no idea. Lore is not my strong suit. That's why I luv this place. Always learning something new.

W'rkncacnter

Mister Freeze
I wonder why, on the whole, it seems like most Dunmer are such creeps. While the baddies are spread out through many races, so many of them are Dunmer, particularly the mages. I wonder if Dunmer, Khajit & Argonians end up on the bad side because they're discriminated against in Skyrim. Could be....
The Dunmer are notoriously xenophobic and had (have?) a bad tendency to enslave other races (Khajiit & Argonian). It doesn't surprise me to find them finding occupation where they can in Skyrim.

Thargan the Red

Also, you mention that the "grey-beards" are affiliated with the Companions. The Greybeards are the followers of the Way of the Voice at High Hrothgar. It is the Stormcloak-supporting Grey-Manes who are affiliated with the Companions;

Grey-Manes, thank you. My mistake :)

I want to point out that they aren't Daedra Worshipers.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsLKX0DcGvvBTHMFPsZ9pcrUPBNN5W7a-_g2O4H1nJFk2H5a9v5A

Aela is confirmed, a worshipper of Hircine.

2) The beast blood for Raido is also a figurative representation of the raw emotions he struggles to master after the loss of his family. If a person is strong enough to control them, emotion can be an excellent positive motivational force, but if someone isn't strong enough to master control over them, they will become destructive. The werewolf powers have a similar nature..

In the end, turning into a werewolf, sharing blood, etc... It kind of is valid, but so is vampirism then. It still inserts a bit of Hircine's soul in your body and might take over when your guard is down, you'll also not end up in Sovngarde with your family, friends, shield-brothers and sisters and other ancestors. You'll end up being the Daedric Prince's hound.

[/quote]
Little interesting bit of lore, for all the lore nuts.

Several hundred years after the death of Ysgramor, the Companions as we now know them were soldiers for hire, little better than mercenaries. Our services could be purchased for the fighting of wars, but the commitment to individual honor meant that often Shield-Brothers would be forced to face each other on the field of battle. The bonds of honor which bind the Companions threaten to break, until Mryfwiil, in his wisdom, decreed that we would no longer be party to any war or political conflict of any kind. Because of his steady hand, the Companions today are known as impartial arbiters of honor, in addition to their glories on the field of battle.

Ok ok, I can accept they are a band of mercenaries that now avoid wars and accept other races. Its logical when there are more than 1 opinion about the sides of it and they are few, though being a private group they should stick to the one that pays.

And my point is still valid :< who says me, the dragonborn, cannot join The Companions with the intention of return them to what they were? Maybe still group of mercenaries, but at least not half beast. Kodlak is out there fighting his own war with the past Harbringers to free the other Companions that died and are trapped by Hircine's inner beasts, why not help cleanse them?

*NOTE* I say a lot about cleansing the curse of lycantropy and may look like i dont like it. I DO like it, i even tried a 24/7 werewolf with its own pack, and i must say that being followed by otehr weres and some wolves is tremendously awesome. But here i'm taking it from the point of view of a pure human (note, not nord, if it was pure nord then i'd not be accepting a dunmer in the companions), where accepting Daedra influence isn't good. Warriors don't need Daedric power to fight and win.

And no, I dont consider joining the Silver-Hand, I'm not Van Helsing (though he would be more a Vigilant of Stendarr...).

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
I think Van Helsing is more of like a Dawnguard scholar (Original verion)
or a skilled Dawnguard investigator/ cleanser (That awesome movie with Hugh Jackman and Kate Beckinsale :p)

Aye this is more a general companion discussion and you do have a good points to at least uphold your opinion unlike another group I know on the forums.

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
2) The beast blood for Raido is also a figurative representation of the raw emotions he struggles to master after the loss of his family. If a person is strong enough to control them, emotion can be an excellent positive motivational force, but if someone isn't strong enough to master control over them, they will become destructive. The werewolf powers have a similar nature..

In the end, turning into a werewolf, sharing blood, etc... It kind of is valid, but so is vampirism then. It still inserts a bit of Hircine's soul in your body and might take over when your guard is down, you'll also not end up in Sovngarde with your family, friends, shield-brothers and sisters and other ancestors. You'll end up being the Daedric Prince's hound.
The major difference I see with vampirism is that whereas a werewolf has to transform into their beast form from their indistinguishable human appearance, a vampire's base form is still noticeable as a vampire and has the negatives of sun damage and need to feed. For lack of a better scientific description, a werewolf is able to turn it on and off at will. A vampire is always on.

As far as Daedric influence, almost every quest line involves some level of either Daedric or divine influence, be it Nocturnal, Sithis, or another. Ultimately Raido decides to give up his beast blood like Kodlak did after deciding that he was stronger and better off without it.

Thargan the Red

The major difference I see with vampirism is that whereas a werewolf has to transform into their beast form from their indistinguishable human appearance, a vampire's base form is still noticeable as a vampire and has the negatives of sun damage and need to feed. For lack of a better scientific description, a werewolf is able to turn it on and off at will. A vampire is always on.

As far as Daedric influence, almost every quest line involves some level of either Daedric or divine influence, be it Nocturnal, Sithis, or another. Ultimately Raido decides to give up his beast blood like Kodlak did after deciding that he was stronger and better off without it.

It was an example of sharing blood with a daedric creature since its sort of the same, you share blood then you transform. You cant turn back into human at will being werewolf unless you get a mod that does that, the command is glitchy.

Yeah there is deadric/divine influence everywhere on everything basically, but there is some stuff strictly about them like all the daedric artifacts missions, you have to accept them and by doing that (sometimes very explicitly) you agree to obey said Daedric Prince as your master. Also being a werewolf, werebear or vampire is like fusing yourself directly with a bit of a Daedric Prince. Which be it voluntarily or not, it's kind of worse than the artifacts themselves... you dont just use an object with their essence, you become part of them.

And in the end you've got your excuse to cure yourself from lycantropy.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Whether or not you trust the Wiki as a source or not is up to you, but it has been bothering me when you say you are fusing yourself directly with a bit of a Daedric Prince.
As it turns out Lycanthropy is a disease, like vampirism, Which in lore justifies why Argonians should in fact not become Werewolves. But also means a change in how you think about the relationship to Hircine and Molag Bal your character obtains from either condition.

You are fusing with "beast blood" Which is not necessarily the essence of Hircine. So I wouldn't use fuse with the Daedra as much as being marked by them as property. Which is what happens when you become their champion. And note in lore it depends on the individual how "controlled" their transformations are. If I had to guess it is like this show called Bitten. Where if you don't change at will every now and again it just forces it's way out.

Also what is interesting is due to the mechanics of the Were-beast disease/curse, is that depending on where you are other types are more prevalent.

Thargan the Red

The disease is more like a curse, a "blessing" from a Daedric Prince. And you kind of are his property since he can claim your soul once you die if you are still a werewolf, and take you to his plane.

Lore-wise, yes, any race can be infected by it. Argonians are resistant to diseases, and if you try to somehow find an excuse to not let them be werewolves i'd like to try think on how biologically compatible are they with the curse. Also they probably are more susceptible to another form of the disease turning them into werecocodriles, since those are the ones you can find in Black Marsh, Argonian's home.

"Werewolves are the most common form among men, mer and extremely rarely, beastfolk.They can be found in all areas of Tamriel, particularly Skyrim."

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Lycanthropy

Also it is known from TES 3: Bloodmoon, how tied the werewolves are to Hircine. There is daedric influence there, but not to a demonic degree, like vampires. Vampires are either mutations born from Molag Bal's corruption or transformed into pure-blood breeds by Molag Bal himself.

About how controlled they are, well. Unless you use a mod to infect the people you attack, then the only known ones are the Companions in the Circle. All the other go berserk.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
About how controlled they are, well. Unless you use a mod to infect the people you attack, then the only known ones are the Companions in the Circle. All the other go berserk.

Insert epic quote about the blade's edge, and how a warrior must balance and not go over the edge and remain in control of himself and his emotions.

conchvegas

Aravis, deadly archer
That's what I'm going to do. My character is a Khajiit and it doesn't make much sense for her to turn into a werewolf. So as soon as she finds about the werewolf thing, She's going to be "See ya! I'm outta here."

It also doesn't make much sense that she'd be allowed into the Companions :p

Ah well. Didn't quite think it through, but what's done is done so I'll try and make the best of it. I'm new to the whole RPing thing, as I haven't RP'd with any of my previous characters, so I'll allow for a few mistakes.:D
Actually, I've changed my mind. I'm going to carry through with the questline for a few reasons. Number one: I don't like leaving questlines unfinished. I've done it so now I ought to finish it. Number two: I'm following other RPing rules such as no fast travel, regular sleep, and not using any exploits to level up faster. Number three: she'll avoid other questlines such as the bard one and the school of magic because she doesn't deserve to become the top mage. Number four: If I can't use a little imagination in letting my Khajiit become a werewolf and have to stick by someone else's rules of realism for RPing, then it's stopped being my game. It is just a game after all, and my game, so I'll play by my rules if I so choose to.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts