Rome/Medieval/Empire/Shogun Total War

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Bjørn of Helgåfjord

Himintelgja - Heaven Scraper
Curious who here is into the Total War games! I started with Medieval II Total War including the Kingdoms expansion, barely played any Empire because my computer couldn't handle it, and now that I have a mac, I came across a mac version of Rome Total War Gold Edition which comes with Barbarian Invasion! I installed it yesterday and played it quite a bit.

Right now I'm doing Barbarian invasion and playing as the Saxons. I have 3 cities including the one you start with.

When I played Medieval II Total War, I liked playing as Denmark especially in Kingdoms Teutonic. Unfortunately I lost my M2TW disk at some point when I still had my PC laptop.

Feel free to discuss these great games!

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
I fluffING LOVE THESE GAMES. But I haven't played anything that wasn't Shogun or Medieval haha.

I suck at them, I play on normal (if I can) and use pretty simple tactics, nothin to fancy. There is just something about sending a thousand tiny men to their deaths so satisfying.

I played A LOT of Medieval 2 because I am way more interested in that time period than Shogun. I only played with the Stainless Steel mod, its just not the same without it. I had a problem ... because the factions were so balanced I couldn't pick one I could stay with however I did take a liking to Sicily. (And I mean couldn't stay with, must've started 200 different campaigns with all the factions)

After about 2-3 months of living and breathing that game I moved onto Shogun. I ask myself why I hadn't been playing it this entire time. I didn't think I'd be all that into Feudal Japan and didn't like how there was gunpowder (I much prefer this game to be purely stab stab). Haven't put it down, though, more into it then I was into Medieval. After experimenting with every single clan multiple times, I obliterated a long campaign with the Tokugawa clan but now I've been trying to make any headway on a campaign with the Uesugi. It's impossible for me, and I'm only on normal. I really want to get it done though because I love the colors and after researching a bit on all the Japanese clans, they are by far my favorite and who I think would make the best Shogun.

I definitely like Shogun the best, for the graphics, smoothness and gameplay. I found with Medieval 2 once you got to around 8-12 provinces (or territories) it was just impossible to play. Always having to watch your taxes and everything, it became all about micromanaging and sucked the fun right out of it, imo. Shogun simplified it and made it manageable, which I like, and I probably wouldn't change at all. Although, the devs said with Rome 2 they are simplifying it even more to make it easier.

With Rome 2 coming out in less then 24 hours, though, I don't think I will be getting much done because I know as soon as I get my hands one Rome 2 I won't put anything else down.

Delusional

Connoisseur of Hallucinations
Honestly, I haven't played any of the Total Wars beside Rome. However, I am in love in Rome: Total War. About six months back I stumbled upon the Complete Collection on Steam and hastily bought it up. I have not regretted it once.

I'd say that I play tactically, though I'm not exactly sure what to compare my gameplay to. Recently, I've been playing the Imperial Campaign on the original game once again as House Julii, crushing barbarian hordes like they're a midnight snack. I've also started playing Rome: Total War Alexander recently, and that is really enjoyable as well. It's much more challenging, considering you have such a limited time to conquer the Persians, meaning you have to recruit on the go, relying on mercenaries and quickly built troops. There's not enough time to train soldiers in your home cities and get them to the front line, so it takes some military genius to minimize losses and maintain momentum as you tear through the Arabian Peninsula.

Though Rome 2 looks ass-rapingly amazing, unfortunately, I am not in a position where I can buy it. However, once I start working again in late October, the first thing I will purchase in terms of entertainment is Rome 2. Gods, it looks incredible.

Bjørn of Helgåfjord

Oh yes I saw a huge banner for Rome 2 on Steam today. The price tag of like 50+ bucks scared me away for awhile, but I got this new game called Door Breakers for $10.00-it's a top-down tactical SWAT game.

Anyways, unfortunately I think what I have now is only Barbarian Invasion, and not the original game as well. Which makes me a little dour, given that I wanted to go through that, but I'll settle for barbarians.

Assuming Rome Total War still had the beat-the-campaign-as-default-faction-you-can-now-play-as-anyone like Medieval II Total War, I want to try out the Celts.

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
I preordered Rome 2 in the beginning of August and the only reason why I did was because I was able to get it (and the Greek States DLC) for $36 =D, otherwise hell no.

Been playin it non-stop since it got released, I really do love it. Rome's my fav but I love playin as the Greeks .... dat phalanx.

Bjørn of Helgåfjord

I'm gonna wait on Rome 2, just because of the price. I could afford it, but I don't need to buy it either right now.

ZeroDragon

Bring me my broadsword, and clear understanding.
I started out with Shogun at the start of the series at what seems a long time ago ... apparently it was a long time ago. I played Medieval, Rome and Medieval 2, but didn't really get on with Empire. Then I couldn't resist Shogun 2. Therefore there was definitely buying Rome 2. In fact the only reason I'm not currently playing it is that my gaming pc has a problem and I've just ordered a new graphics card for it. I really need to find a simple pick up and put down game. Skyrim stole my life for a long time, and now I'm tramping across Europe with an army - 2 life stealing games in a row !

Bjørn of Helgåfjord

I recently got Civ V on steam and my God that game is awesome.

I must say that Civ V seems to do war better than Total War in some aspects. Like in Civ V you can pillage their farms, mines, etc outside their cities, then roll up artillery and such, and bombard the enemy cities. It takes at least a few turns (depending on how well defended the city is/your tech) for you to get the city's defense down, meaning that you literally maintain the siege by having to constantly lay down fire.

Just yesterday I declared war on this empire, and i had taken a few of their cities, and all of a sudden they move what at least as far as Civ units go, could be considered an Army Group! Right near one of my newly acquired cities! I had artillery perched nearby, and infantry down below around the city, and I also had a couple ships off shore who could provide a little support. I was shelling them trying to weaken them for my infantry-even though it sorta scared the hell out of me that they were right there, I thought it was pretty cool because I felt like it was a major offensive that I was working against, not just one stupid unit!

I eventually forced them to retreat/be destroyed, and pushed back, creating a fortified perimeter between two of their cities and one of mine-so far they're shelling the same points in my line to no avail-I replace the men that are killed very easily, and in the meantime made a thrust in the south and secured that flank almost entirely.

BlueTiger

I love these games, although I'll need to catch up on the latest titles. I have Rome Total War which was a great game along with some of the other older titles. I'm going to need to buy the boxset for the new games, as they look so much better gameplay and graphics wise.