Regarding the honor/integrity of the Companions.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

songofish99

I'm having trouble deciding whether to join the Companions or not (on my current character). Yes, they are widely recognized in Skyrim and certainly ramble on about honor. But they seem to be a shadow of their former selves. Taking missions as mercenaries for hire, not always honorable ones, seeking retribution with the Silver Hand, dabbling in Lycanthropy (up to a certain point in the quest line anyway)...although the Lycanthropy thing doesn't bother me much. Sometimes they seem like honorable warriors, don't get me wrong, but other times they seem like ale guzzling thugs for hire.

From an RP point, I just wanted to see what you guys thought of them.

Eva

Hint- if you want people to discuss what you're writing, don't make it nearly impossible to read.

kirak95197

Writer
Why not?

The Companions aren't that far removed from any number of mythological or "classical" views on what proper heroic behavior was. Glory, pride, power, and the sheer thrill of fighting seemed to be praised above what we would classify as traditional hero actions. Indeed quite frankly any number of great heroes could easily be classified as terrible people in any present situation.

The Companions just seem to be fitting that attitude more so than any later fantasy tropes. Which seems strikingly fitting considering the Norse-inspired landscape. Hell the tit-for-tat violence between The Companions and the Silver Hands could(stripped of the magical elements) come from any number of semi-historical Icelandic Sagas...only not nearly as bleak.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts