• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

YoungLord94

Yokudan Refugee
Why are there so many Redguards in the Imperial Legion? I thought given their history that Redguards were against imperialism.

My Redguard character fights to liberate Skyrim just like Hammerfell was liberated from the Empire.

Its kinda weird how i have to kill so many of my brothers in this war. Are there just that many Uncle Toms?

Thorn

In the Hist we trust
I thought they were just normal darker skin imperials.:beermug:

That is what I thought after hearing their voices. The one thing that I can think of concerning Redguards is the one that says that he supports Ulfric and is heading to Windhelm

YoungLord94

Yokudan Refugee
I think some of you are blind. I've seen Dark skinned imperials and these guys im talking about are no imperials. never mind their voice actors. Ever come across Alik'r Warriors?

YoungLord94

Yokudan Refugee
my mistake for expecting insightful answers from people who actually know the lore of the elder scrolls world...

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
my mistake for expecting insightful answers from people who actually know the lore of the elder scrolls world...

I still think its money or maybe even just the experience to hone their skills without having to resort to bandit life.

Consider if you were a Redguard who grew up in Skyrim, or even Cyrodiil for that matter. You don't have that many skills but the one thing you are good at is the art of killing, as any typical Redguard is normally adept in. You have two sides to enlist in, the Empire or the Stormcloaks. Take into account how much the Redguards and Nords despise eachother and also the fact the Stormcloaks are fighting for the Nords and Talos, neither of which concerns the Redguards at all.

And then you have the Empire. There might be some bad blood between the two factions, but not nearly as much as the Nords/Redguards. Not all Redguards feel as though the Empire abandoned them, either, as they did a lot for Hammerfell.

No reason to be rude about it, not everyone on this forum is balls deep in lore info, ya know.

Docta Corvina

This page gives some useful and pertinent information on the Redguards and their history: Lore:Redguard - UESPWiki

This passage is likely the most relevant to your question, though it doesn't necessarily dictate the circumstances for all Redguards at present:

When Hammerfell became a province of the Second Empire and demarcated in the Imperial custom, Redguard society was formally divided into two main socio-political groups: the Crowns and the Forebears.[1] The Crowns are descended from the High King and the Na-Totambu who ruled in Yokuda; they hold Yokudan tradition in high reverence and greatly dislike foreigners.[1] Their influence has been waning since the last High King perished in 2E 862 and his son, the Crown Prince A'tor, reacted by viciously butchering the Forebear citizenry.[1] When Tiber Septim's forces conquered the land two years later, it was perceived as a humanitarian gesture to stop the senseless bloodshed.[1] While the intervention did cease open war, the hostility between the various regions of the province remains so great that some have been known to ignore their brethren when they're trying to repulse a foreign invasion.[5]

The Forebears are descended from the Ra Gada warrior class which conquered the province, and in so doing were exposed to many Nedic (and later Breton and Imperial) traditions and ideas, while the ancestors of the Crowns were not.[1] The Forebears seek modernity; they are more cosmopolitan than their Crown counterparts and more welcoming of the Empire and its way of life.[1] They have adopted modified Imperial and Breton styles for their dress, architecture, and names, and many have even reorganized their traditional gods and spirits to fit into the Imperial pantheon of the Divines.[1] Forebears are generally predominant in coastal cities and other major trade centers, while most Crowns live in more secluded regions, notably the deserts and other inhospitable areas.

Obviously, the conquering of the area by Tiber Septim occurred very many years ago, but it would seem that some divisions/differentiations are still relevant. The absorption of Hammerfell into the Second Empire made clear such divergences that quite possibly have translated to attitudes in present day (circa 4E 201) Tamriel.

Indeed, the terms of the White-Gold Concordat did in fact leave many Redguards feeling very bitter with the Empire, particularly as pertains to the forced cession of Hammerfell. But this does not stop Redguards from fighting on behalf of the Legion and even among the ranks of the Penitus Oculatus. I would think that to some extent, the historical societal divisions could inform such a phenomenon. In other words, those identified as "Forebears", who were apparently more familiar with and more readily sympathetic to the culture of the Empire, would be quite likely more willing to support it despite the Concordat. In fact, some Redguards encountered in Skyrim even have "Imperial" names (such as Captain Avidius), a symbolic indication of identity with the Empire. The much more insular "Crowns", deeply traditional and resentful of foreigners, seem at least theoretically inclined to more easily identify and sympathize with the Stormcloak cause.

Obviously, though, not every coastal Redguard is bound to support the Empire, nor is every warrior of the desert going to support Ulfric ideologically or martially. But I think these historical distinctions are something to consider when trying to reconcile the presence of Redguards in the Legion. I hope that helps somewhat!

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Also I don't think Uncle Tom exist in the Elder Scrolls Universe :p But yeah dude even if the Redguards utterly detested the empire why would they join the stormcloaks? They don't really have anything to gain, and even as mercenaries... Well the empire seems to pay better...

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts