Recognizing the BattleMage

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

zeva

Meanwhile in Skyrim...
If you're like me, you've already realized Skyrim is easily THE best game to be released in some time, and is living up to all the anticipation. Now you're really starting to find your "niche" in character preferences. I found mine.

I wasn't sure at first, whether to go full Mage, half and half, 1/3, or wtf ever, but I tell you this: launching a duel casted fireball from a distance is like shooting a rocket launcher. Follow that up with some hand to hand combat and a shout, it's gonna be a good day. Magic runs out so quick, you need to be ready to bury some metal. Your best friend in any fight as well, are the Atronarchs. They do some good damage and are a hell of a diversion. I've gotten very familiar with alternating from spells/weapons/shield between hands, and can't wait to see how combat is like at high level.

BattleMage FTW in the Best. Game. Ever.

Jack Fulham

Premium Member
I always seem to neglect magic when playing TES. Bad trait I have. Gonna start using it more on my next character.

Divinity

Restoration and one handed sword for me. I just heal myself thru any encounter. Aiming for Dawnbreaker now.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Breton female archer/magic hybrid. I've slacked a bit on the magic now but I have the healing which I use after combats. I do have a couple one-handed melees in my inventory just in case I have to switch.

I haven't found it if it exists, but I am wishing for a single button that changes what I'm wielding from one "set" to another. I have the favorites list and (on PC) use the Q to switch, but I'd love to have a few presets, one for the bow, one for the dual weapon then one for the magic (1 heal, 1 offense). I really like the ability of "dual wielding" spells too.

zeva

Meanwhile in Skyrim...
I play on console (hopefully upgrading to pc in future), but as far as I know, console controls only give you 2 presets. Switching between the two is really is for both hands, but still, only 2.

vincent

SC2: DudeMan 346
I play on console (hopefully upgrading to pc in future), but as far as I know, console controls only give you 2 presets. Switching between the two is really is for both hands, but still, only 2.

How do you preset? I was using the favorites section, using the D-pad.

Nightmare Shadow

Master of Shadow
I wasn't satisfied with my Imperial (but not giving up on her yet) so I decided to start a Spellsword Dark Elf who is an assassin as well. I don't really have anything solid in this game yet (still trying to find my ideal playstyle).

zeva

Meanwhile in Skyrim...
Seems like the only way to bind for quick use is to "favorite" the spell or item by pressing Y on the item from them game menu, and then access them thru pressing the up arrow on the d-pad during gameplay. Once they're on that list, hold down "left" or "right" on that item to bind to quick slot 1 or 2. Left is 1, Right is 2.

Once you bind, you can quickly swap between the two.

@Nightmare Shadow - It's hard to choose I know; My friend loves being an assassin for the cinematic kills, and I really enjoy launching duel fireballs at distant targets. Just gotta find your niche.

Nightmare Shadow

Master of Shadow
The thing is I had created a great character only to come home from class and find my sister deleting my save. So, lately, I've been trying different characters (other than Nord) and I gotta say its a lot more different going with magic (that's not a bad thing), I'm still trying to decide if I should go Imperial Battlemage or High Elf Mage.

zeva

Meanwhile in Skyrim...
Ouch, I think I would have set up a trebuchet in my sisters bedroom for pulling that stunt. Whatever you do, make sure you stay consistent with hand to hand combat, swords/maces. Almost always comes down to that and I'm at 60 destruction playing on adept.