• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

ZPfor3

Arch-Mage/Harbinger in Training
Does anyone else get mad that the Dawnguard quest line FORCES you into the main quest?? With my main character I have avoided the main quest at all costs and now I can't complete Dawnguard because it involves me doing the main quest when you go find the Dragon Elder Scroll. I just think they should have separated it more. I know some people will think it's awesome how they tie together but it just makes me angry. How do you feel about this??

I feel that people need to toughen up and kill Alduin as many times as they can.

Really, though, I don't think it's right that it forces you into the questline, but I still like the tie-in.

xsneakyxsimx

I think that Bethesda is sort of expecting people to use characters that have finished the Main Quest. It's annoying yeah, and it would be nice if they didn't have a barrier such as this, but it's not like it's a game breaking bug. I've heard that Morrowind expansions also had stuff related and/or requiring the Main Quest.

Ilrita

The Imperial Storm
Ah man, really? Well, looks like creating that new character will server another purpose.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
Does anyone else get mad that the Dawnguard quest line FORCES you into the main quest?? With my main character I have avoided the main quest at all costs and now I can't complete Dawnguard because it involves me doing the main quest when you go find the Dragon Elder Scroll. I just think they should have separated it more. I know some people will think it's awesome how they tie together but it just makes me angry. How do you feel about this??

You can just go to Septimus and the through Mzinachlef, Alfland, or Raldbthar to Blackreach. You don't even have to talk to the people in Riverwood after you first leave Helgen to get the scroll.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
I feel that people need to toughen up and kill Alduin as many times as they can.

Really, though, I don't think it's right that it forces you into the questline, but I still like the tie-in.

It doesn't All it requires you to do is to go to Septimus and then to Blackreach, no one will even call you Dohvakiin.

Neriad13

Premium Member
You don't have to go on with the Main Quest in Dawnguard. At the end of Blackreach you can just go on and sell the scroll to Urag and be done with it. If I remember rightly, nothing in the dialogue of the quest suggests that you're Dragonborn.

But was it a tad annoying to re-do a long dungeon that I'd done before with a different character, in order to get farther in Dawnguard?

...yeah. >.>

Haru17

Lost Falmer
You don't have to go on with the Main Quest in Dawnguard. At the end of Blackreach you can just go on and sell the scroll to Urag and be done with it. If I remember rightly, nothing in the dialogue of the quest suggests that you're Dragonborn.

But was it a tad annoying to re-do a long dungeon that I'd done before with a different character, in order to get farther in Dawnguard?

...yeah. >.>

The Dark Brotherhood and Lost to the Ages quests require Raldbthar so I always go through there, easy-peasy.

Naginata

Huntress of the Shadows
I like that you can kill two birds with one stone by getting the Dragon scroll for both quest lines. And even when you get the Scroll, you don't HAVE to continue the main quest... I haven't. I got the Scroll and was like, "Nope. Screw the main quest." I did it only once and didn't like it, so I wait as long as possible to do it.

Plus, the higher the level, the harder it is! I did it at level 40 and every Draugr I ran into was either a Scourge or a Deathlord, made things WAY more exciting! Can't wait to see it at 50 or 60, lol.

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
Yeah, I was pretty pissed, but I did something else. Instead of doing the main quest, I went straight to The College and talked to the Orc. I asked about the Elder Scrolls, read the books he laid out on the desk and got the quest that started my search for the Dragon Scroll. Worked for me. Bypassed the Main Quest, sort of.

jcurr25

One of my favorite parts about skyrim is how the quests tie into each other, especially into the main quest. The more interactions between them the better I feel because it really helps the game feel more immersive and helps with the lore.

Naginata - the game starts to get really easy when you hit lvl 60 if you have put any thought into structuring your character. The glory days are around lvl 40, after I passed that the enemies stopped getting harder but I kept getting better at killing them. Now at lvl 80 almost 81 I routinely end up surrounded by 5 or 6 deathlords and I kill them all in 2-3 blows apiece with my sword, it gets dull after a while. I have considered looking for a higher level enemies mod to make the game harder(have been playing on master difficulty since lvl 5) but have never gotten around to adding it in.

I just thought it didn't make sense. Since this is supposed to be a game of free will and all, why the hell would they tie them together? It seems like a cheap tactic. I mean, I can ALMOST understa- wait, no I can't. why does the prophecy of the Tryanny of the Sun have anything to do with the Dragon Scroll? The scroll that tells of Alduins rise and demise? It makes no sense. it was also incredibly lazy to tell me to "find the Elder Scroll for Parthuunax" when My character didn't know who parthuunax was and he definitely wasn't finding it for him. Also it was lazy and cheap to try to flsh out the questline with an awesome and huge dungeon that they already used. Thanks Beth, you just added an hour or more of content, I already fluffing paid for!

Bro Ski

I know what you mean. This defeats the point of an RPG. The whole point I missed out the main quest is so I wouldn't get random dragon attacks. Then with DG installed, random vampire attacks. I try to complete DG to stop these but then realize you have to do the main quests. Its so annoying.

RY14NCE

Dragonborn
So if I complete Dawnguard first, do I have to also complete the main quest before I can sell the Dragon Elder scroll?

Last time, I had already completed the main quest when I started dawnguard...

I hate having quest items stuck on me, the black books are the worst.

Either way, looks like I'm going to have to run around Skyrim with an attunement sphere in my anus, as my current armour has no pockets...