Really Frustrated with Magic- Help!

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Izariel

First off, I really do like Skyrim. I have played it for a bit but just started a new character because I wanted to try straight up magic. But there is the problem, magic in skyrim gives me a massive headache. The following are my problems:

1. THE UI!!! The mouse is incredibly sluggish and no matter how I tinker with the settings I can't get it right. On top of that the targeting reticle is incredibly small and unforgiving. You can shoot and miss by 1 inch and still do no damage. This difficulty combined with the previous UI problem means I miss 90% of the time. This is extremely frustrating. The only way to really hit them is to completely stop, aim for about 3 seconds and hope they dont move. In addition the targeter is too low on the screen. I am always forced to aim it upwards at an awkward angle in order to shoot. They should raise it by about an inch and it would be much better.

2. The casting mechanic is extremely buggy. You have to hold the button back, but you dont know for how long. You dont do it right, and when you let go, nothing happens. Then you have to start all over again. I cant tell you how many times I have "misfired" my spells and nothing came out. Just get rid of casting times all together and instant fire on touch. Increase the mana cost, or whatever you have to do, but this is just unacceptable.

3. Mana costs are unrealistic and prohibitive. Even with mods and perks it is still high. The only thing I have seen is to try and exploit it by enchanting all my peices with -% destro.

4. FOLLOWERS! No matter what I do my dern follwer is always in the way! I try to cast and I hit her more often than the enemy. The poor woman has put up with a lot on my behalf. They really need to exempt allies from your damage.

There is so much more but you get my drift. If anyone can impart words of knowledge and enlighten my on these issues I would be very grateful. How have you overcome these problems?

Thanks

Anthony1617

I have Skyrim for ps3, but I might be able to help you.

1. I have no idea why the mouse is slow... It works fine on PS3.
2. Casting? What spells are you using...?
3. I get along just fine with my mana costs. I mean, so far I've only upgraded my Magicka and I'm pretty far... but I'm managing fine dual casting fire spells. It might be different for other spells, I don't know. Maybe you could try using 1 spell and 1 sword? Then when you run out of Magicka you can just use the sword.
4. Yeah... I just gave up on followers and do stuff by myself. Theres nothing you can do here, except maybe get your follower to use a ranged spell/bow and stay far from your spell lines. I haven't really tested that, I've no clue if its even an applicable idea.

Anthony1617

To summarize my post, I have no idea why you are having some problems you are having. I doubt the computer version is very different from the PS3 version... is it?

SaveVsBedWet

I have the same problem you describe concerning casting mechanics. Can't count how many times I've been caught in the middle of a fight wasting attention on whether I need to hold down the button to cast a fireball or lightning or whether I can tap it. Or for that matter waiting for visual cues, like when I hold the button and see the magicka running down and expect to see the fireball appear without additional action.

It's caused me to never successfully cast a Summon Flame Atronach or Soul Trap spell so far in 13 levels of advancement.

The other thing is the scrolls, since scrolls that target have not been working. Maybe Destruction scrolls that target need to be lined up on that target via the crosshairs? Got me killed while I wasted time trying to troubleshoot it.

Izariel

It must be pretty different on the pc version. The mouse is extremely slow when trying to target. I have mainly been using Firebolt, Ice, and Lightning spells. It is the same for all of them. I am glad that I am not the only one at least. Any additional help would be appreciated.

Eturnus

First off, I really do like Skyrim. I have played it for a bit but just started a new character because I wanted to try straight up magic. But there is the problem, magic in skyrim gives me a massive headache. The following are my problems:

1. THE UI!!! The mouse is incredibly sluggish and no matter how I tinker with the settings I can't get it right. On top of that the targeting reticle is incredibly small and unforgiving. You can shoot and miss by 1 inch and still do no damage. This difficulty combined with the previous UI problem means I miss 90% of the time. This is extremely frustrating. The only way to really hit them is to completely stop, aim for about 3 seconds and hope they dont move. In addition the targeter is too low on the screen. I am always forced to aim it upwards at an awkward angle in order to shoot. They should raise it by about an inch and it would be much better.

2. The casting mechanic is extremely buggy. You have to hold the button back, but you dont know for how long. You dont do it right, and when you let go, nothing happens. Then you have to start all over again. I cant tell you how many times I have "misfired" my spells and nothing came out. Just get rid of casting times all together and instant fire on touch. Increase the mana cost, or whatever you have to do, but this is just unacceptable.

3. Mana costs are unrealistic and prohibitive. Even with mods and perks it is still high. The only thing I have seen is to try and exploit it by enchanting all my peices with -% destro.

4. FOLLOWERS! No matter what I do my dern follwer is always in the way! I try to cast and I hit her more often than the enemy. The poor woman has put up with a lot on my behalf. They really need to exempt allies from your damage.

There is so much more but you get my drift. If anyone can impart words of knowledge and enlighten my on these issues I would be very grateful. How have you overcome these problems?

Thanks

I really don't know what to say, this has not been my exprience at all, i have a pure mage build: Destro/ Resto/ Conj/ and a few perks in Alch a few perks in sneak

1. I did find the UI a bit weird at 1st, but have since found after i got used to it i had no problem at all, and find it no more unforgiving than archery. Sure you miss ocassionaly, but i always assumed that was to prevent spam casting, and it forced me to "really" wait till i had the perfect shot. Somtimes this meant the mobs were almost ontop of me, but then due to chain staggering (through perks in destro) i would take them down.

2.I like this, it took me a while, but i actually feel pride in the fact that at this stage i just intutativley know how long to hold the buttons for my spells.

3. The mana i find fine, i have almost entirly upgarded magika. My health is at about 140 and i count on my resto/ mixed with knockabck shouts/ mixed with ethereal shouts to save me. Once again, as long as you make every shot count (yes some will still miss) mana has been fine for me. Also i make sure all my robes/gear focus on mana regen as oposed to fortifymagica. My motto (and its just my opinion) is i dont care how large my mana pool is, the amount of regen i have now means i can dual cast a spell and about 1.5 sec later my mana for that spell is back.

4. I LoVe Lydia, between her and my flame Atronarch, i almost never get aggro, they tank and i spank, Occasioanlly healing up lydia so she gets up off her knees. Sometimes she does get in my way, and i either have to really aim, or circle around and attack from a different angle. You have to understand your follower is your meat shield, they must get between you and the Mob. it is YOUR job to get a good aim after your follower has engaged.

I know this has probably not helped you much, and for that i apologise, but i thought it important to note that not everyone feels the same way about it.

vincent

SC2: DudeMan 346
What kind of mouse are you using? I played Starcraft for a long time and the difference in precision is astounding given that I went from a standard dell mouse to a Logitech. I really don't get a kick out of playing FPS/RPG on a computer so I can only relate to an extent. I much prefer a trigger for these kind of games.

Pibbs

Thanks

Hey, I feel for you man. But I have a solution that will take all of your problems away!

"Show More" so you don't have to watch the video.

Seriously, just do the stuff on the list and all of your lag issues will be gone. My game went from unplayable to addictively fun in no time. Press the tilda button to bring up the console to adjust your perspective a little bit as you can't see very well with the default settings.

Another piece of advice: Copy your Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs files with their changes in case you have to reinstall or it sets itself to default, so you don't have to do it all over again.

Cheers man,

-Pibbs

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts