Random freeze ups on the 360 version! wtf???

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

ShangTsung

ok this makes no fl*ffing sense! i am beyond pissed right now, i bought a 360 console about 2 weeks ago and its BRAND NEW! so far i've had skyrim freeze on loading screens, on fast travel, in the heat of battle, and now from simply walking around! wtf??? i thought the 360 version was supposed to be free of this bs??? has anyone else out there playing the 360 version ever had the game just freeze while walking around for no apparent reason??? seriously cause i'm thinking my console might be defective, its the only thing i can think of.. :sadface:

Tryn

Premium Member
If you purchased Skyrim as a used game, it could be a dirty or bad disc. Clean it or exchange it. Scratched or dirty discs can give you some pretty odd problems. The fact that it's doing it on loading screens makes me suspicious, especially if you're running the game off the DVD (haven't installed it on your hard drive).

If the disc is new (and looks fine) it may be a console issue. I recall reading one suggestion to see if it makes a difference laying the console flat if it's attributed to an air flow problem. If that doesn't work (and even if it does) and you're pretty sure it's got plenty of air flow where you've got it sitting, I'd simply exchange it.

JClarke1953

What Tryn said, and I keep mine on its side. I raised it about 1/2" because there was too little space in there, and the disc was always warm, especially after playing 5-6 hour's. I'd also be suspicious of the disc itself, like Tryn said, even the smallest defect or dirt can cause huge headaches. And if you didn't do a full install, that "might" be a problem.

Also, Steam has a hand in this game, so, a full install would be good. I've played PC game's that Steam had their hand's in, and they don't like not being fully installed.

Medea

The Shadow Queen
Yes, a full install helps, but the rumors that the 360 version of Skyrim is free of freezes is not true. I've had Skyrim freeze on me several times, and I play the 360 version. Skyrim is just one of those games that wasn't sufficiently play-tested for any of the consoles, and the heavy tax on the system with everything the game has to load in (music, voices, sounds, items, backgrounds, character models, etc) causes it to freeze.

Just make sure you save often, and keep multiple saves. Autosaves aren't enough. That way, if you run into a bug you can load a previous save and hopefully by the time you get back to where you were, you will not encounter it again.

EDIT: Also, if your online, get all the updates you can. They fix some of the major glitches in the game.

ShangTsung

its a brand new copy, i bought the game along with borderlands 2 *which NEVER freezes btw* when i purchased the console *which is a 250 gig* i have in fact installed it on the hd after advised to do so in another thread, no freezes yet but the frame rate drops are still there in full force, example- if i nail someone with a destruction spell especially if its a dead body the whole game stops for about 2 to 3 seconds before resuming. :/

ShangTsung

Did you try clearing the Cache, i noticed that this helped on oblivion and skyrim when it starts lags/freezing
been meaning to do that but don't know how, any chance you could give me instructions? also i'm starting to think a lot of the problems stemmed from the paralization alteration spell i was using, since i unfaved and quit using it the frame rate drops have reduced tremendously.

JClarke1953

Yes, is it the white and green 360 or the black box? I am using the black 360, and on rare occassion's experience a freeze, but mostly in fast travel. Then I just power everything down and restart.

JClarke1953

Hmm, do you have a PC that might be capable of scanning the Skyrim disc? If not, and there are consistent problem's, maybe Bethesda might be able to help. Unless the place you bought it from will exchange it?

I had a "freeze" on mine today, but it had to do with finding 3 book's stolen from the College, and I had the thief help me and Lydia. In the midst of flame and lightening being thrown, the play would "chatter" a bit, move, then chatter a bit more. I don't really know if it was because of all of the arcane action or the added "helper".

ShangTsung

Hmm, do you have a PC that might be capable of scanning the Skyrim disc? If not, and there are consistent problem's, maybe Bethesda might be able to help. Unless the place you bought it from will exchange it?

I had a "freeze" on mine today, but it had to do with finding 3 book's stolen from the College, and I had the thief help me and Lydia. In the midst of flame and lightening being thrown, the play would "chatter" a bit, move, then chatter a bit more. I don't really know if it was because of all of the arcane action or the added "helper".
you had a thief help u? how did u do that?

JClarke1953

He was the one that stole the three books from the College. After I got them, we'll, I went ahead and killed him, as I received no instruction's to keep him alive, especially since the book's were vital to the College.