• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

illuminist

dark wood elf assassin
I was hoping I could start this thread but I feel that the nords are the most loved races of people in skyrim.

as the khajits are considered vermin or a pain in the butt and are not aloud in cities.

an elf will be considered a dunder head because of his pointy ears and an orc under any circumstances are hated by other races.

if your a breton your ok,if your a nord your ok,but if your anything more but a elf or a orc or argonian or khajit or imperial you are hated??

why is it everytime I walk in a city I get a gaurd being racist to me like aa ha a big hair elf or something I dunno.

they just dont like an elf??? why??? all because I am a wood elf and I am brown does it give reasons to reject me? we dont like your kind hear bugga off!!!!!

Not to justify it, but for clarity- the racism is coming from fear. The Empire is diminished, their religion is banned and the Thalmor ( Altmer- Elves) are permitted by law to freely patrol Skyrim and enforce that law as they see fit, the civil war, dragons, and rampant banditry. There's the Winterhold disaster and Forsworn uprising. Not to mention there is also a history of genocide between Snow Elves and Nords. Things are bad for the Nords and theyve grown weary cultures they are unfamiliar with, they blame outsiders for their troubles.

Their warrior culture would play into it too. I think they place the burden on the individual to overcome their ( Nords) prejudices. If they prove their worth to them, than they hassle you less- but they still hassle you. My character IS Nord, and I still get hassled.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm certain the Nords are the most hated race by players.

caravan guard

lone Khajiit
It's definitely fear. Nords are afraid of the other races in some ways. Khajiits are sneaky and can sneak in your house at night and kill you. Orc's are the best blacksmiths in Tamriel their advancements in armor and weapons is feared by most. Elves have huge armies that can,would rule Skyrim. Redguards are fierce warriors, dragon hunters. Bretons are known for being a boss at magic, I'm scared of mages/necromancers aren't you?
Imperials are tricky with their words and can manipulate your thoughts. Nords are just wannabe warriors who live in a place dominated by Ice.

Sorry for the cold truth

Ashlander

Yes,the racism shown by the Nords towards the elves is wrong.Especially the racism towards the Dunmer,forcing them to live in a slum and not even caring.This racism is no doubt caused by the Great War and the rebellion.The Nords need to remember is that the first people to live in Skyrim were elves.I am not saying that all Nords are dirty racists,but most are.This racism just shows that most Nords are closed minded and ignorant.As for the hate towards the Nords by the other races of Windhelm,what do you expect when somebody is treated so horribly.The racism towards the other races is just fear of things that are different and pure ignorance.Alot of the Nords think all khajiit are thieves and skooma dealers.This is completely wrong and idiotic.

Xarnac

It's not fear. All of the races have shown racism and bigotry throughout history (to themselves and one another). Fear didnt make Ayleids, Altmer/Aldmer, Dunmer, Imperials and a host of others own and promote slavery. It's not fear that makes some look down on the Bosmer for practicing the Meat Mandate. Or stereotypically see all Altmer as snobs. Or Nords to be seen as drunken, bumbling idiots. Or Redguards as superstitious savages. Or the Imperial "Bible Belt" principles found in Cyrodiil during the time of Oblivion. Or for nearly all of the races to hold Goblin-ken in contempt.

It's just good old fashion "your different," and the fact that everybody will hate everybody if allowed, like in real life. It's subjective, but widespread.

It's not fear. All of the races have shown racism and bigotry throughout history (to themselves and one another). Fear didnt make Ayleids, Altmer/Aldmer, Dunmer and a host of others own and promote slavery. It's not fear that makes some look down on the Bosmer for practicing the Meat Mandate. Or stereotypically see all Altmer as snobs. Or the Imperial "Bible Belt" principles found in Cyrodiil during the time of Oblivion.
You're right, some of the Nordic racist attitudes toward non- nord races coming from fear alone is not correct. I never considered very closely how racist attitudes/ behavior come about, only that I find it abhorrent. Possibly, in general, it comes from conditioning and ignorance? Im not sure but definitely something to think on, I over simplified earlier.

Xarnac

It comes from history (ie nearly all of the races have fought one another at some point), ignorance (ie how some believe all Bosmer practice ritualistic cannibalism, not just some/a lot in Valenwood), and even some truth (ie there is a lot of dumb, drunken Nords, there are a lot of snobbish Dunmer and Altmer). Subjective, but traits that can be discerned through observation.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts