• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

What race do you think I should I start with that works with being a battlemage?

• Argonian

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Imperial

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Nord

• Wood Elf

• High Elf

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Breton

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Dark Elf

• Khajit

• Orc

• Redguard

• Total voters

Sazandora101

So I'm going to get Skyrim this week, and I have no clue what character I want. I've played the game and quite like the idea of being a battlemage. What race do you think I should I start with that works with being a battlemage?

Nocte Aeterna

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Film
I would recommend a High Elf/Altmer over a Breton, mainly because their magicka refills faster. They're not too bad with one-handed weapons, either. When I played as a Breton during a practice run, I found that although they have more resistance against other magic wielders, their magicka refills rather slowly. A successful battlemage utilizes destruction and restoration magic in addition to staves or one-handed weapons, and the faster regeneration helps. I personally play as a High Elf battlemage as my primary character, and I'm satisfied with the result.

Plus, High Elves start out with extra magicka.

Devoniuk2233

Battlemage of Solitude, Harbinger of Darkness
I personally like to either play Battlemage as Imperial or Redguard. though i lean more towards the melee side of battlemage. I dont think a high elf would be the smartest choice when using a battlemage given the fact that all their starting stats are in magic, when you could have one handed, heavy armor, and archery with the Redguard or Block, one handed, and heavy armor with Imperial. Also Battlemage is one of the hardest starting classes out there without adding the hassle of trying to build up other stats that are still at 15. A battlemage really doesnt need illusion or alteration in his build. unless you want to get the paralyze perk.

Ysarth the watcher

High Elf of the Skyrim wilds
Although with the high elf you get an initial magicka upper, I would choose a dark elf as a battlemage; destruction magic suits the darker blood of the elves with their hunger for woe, death and dark magic.

Devoniuk2233

Battlemage of Solitude, Harbinger of Darkness
I get the whole more magicka more damage but, you can't ignore that Redguard has an ability with faster stamina regeneration causing you to be able to perform more power attacks. either way it just the matter if you want to be primarily mage or primarily warrior...

Ysarth the watcher

High Elf of the Skyrim wilds
...either way it just the matter if you want to be primarily mage or primarily warrior...

Pretty much ay. In my opinion I would take the dark elf simply because the role suits the race for me

My current character is a very successful Breton battlemage. I use Mage armor in conjunction with two handed fighting, I've been amazed at how elegant this method is. Very simple build, very simple tactics, extremely effective results. In retrospect other races might have been better suited for this class at the beginning, but once you get to the late game it makes very little difference what race you are.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts