• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Vidarr

Hey guys,

I was curious about this, seeing as - as I mentioned in a previous thread - I am currently RPing a Nord born of the Skaal, and I have particularly been trying to decide which quests to do or, in some cases more importantly, skip - paying attention to the values of my character.

For instance, I have been trying to decide whether or not my character should do the whole 'Forsworn Conspiracy' thing OR let it cancel itself upon taking Markarth for the Stormcloaks.
In cases like this, I have trouble deciding which would be more believable from a skaal point of view (in the case of this particular character).
I talked about a very similar instance in a previous thread regarding Ill Met By Moonlight.

Anyways, I'm simply interested in hearing anyone's opinions, as well as personal preferences as far as quests you tend to avoid on certain characters (other than guilds that don't fit the build).
I used to be the type who found it insanely difficult to avoid ANY quests, and would basically spend most of my time checking them off like a to-do list.
Thankfully I've been getting better, but I still have trouble deciding which are actually skip-worthy.

Call me out if I haven't clarified enough. ;)

Manmangler

First time ever, I played Darkbrotheedhood storyline. It happens yesterday, and I have owned game as releaseday. Some how killing fo "profit" havent fit mycharacters earlier. In oblivion, I have never played DB or TG questlines.

Same character is first one to rebuilding TG in full and getting that Oblivion walker achiviement. I have usually avoided doing harm to "innocents".

Tiaz Raydari

Champion of Khorne
First time ever, I played Darkbrotheedhood storyline. It happens yesterday, and I have owned game as releaseday. Some how killing fo "profit" havent fit mycharacters earlier. In oblivion, I have never played DB or TG questlines.

Same character is first one to rebuilding TG in full and getting that Oblivion walker achiviement. I have usually avoided doing harm to "innocents".

Well do you see the DB as "innocent"?

Mr Forz

I'm helping. Mostly.
I'm only annoyed by the faction quests because of one thing: I am Dragonborn. And you're Dragonborn too, that's the main quest and the center of one of the DLC's, you can't escape it no matter what and I absolutely HATE stacking titles on characters.

You happen to find out you are Dragonborn, then 3 days later: BAM, you're also the Listener for the DB! The Psijic Order believes in you and all the possible events happen on your face.

Tiaz Raydari

Champion of Khorne
I'm only annoyed by the faction quests because of one thing: I am Dragonborn. And you're Dragonborn too, that's the main quest and the center of one of the DLC's, you can't escape it no matter what and I absolutely HATE stacking titles on characters.

You happen to find out you are Dragonborn, then 3 days later: BAM, you're also the Listener for the DB! The Psijic Order believes in you and all the possible events happen on your face.

You do know, there is a quest to kill the DB but I don't know if you know that.
And yes the stacking titles is annoying even though that what it takes to finish the game so to say.

EDIT:I guess there aren't really many quests that I don't like but also get annoyed by, but then there are some fun ones too.

Vidarr

I know, the whole stacking titles thing is kind of bizarre.
I think it would be kind of cool if their was a way of definitively associating titles with your character's name (although I guess people can do that when naming character's in the first place).
For instance - pursuing the Stormcloak questline, you could actually add the titles given to you (Snow-Hammer, Stormblade etc.) to your name.
Despite being given multiple titles across different guilds/questlines, you could choose which one identifies you - and how individuals (at least guards) refer to you.

Anyways, beyond avoiding certain guilds simply due to character build/RP, can anyone think of individual side quests that they have avoided for RP reasons (could be the most minor detail).
I mention again that I've been struggling with this regarding the Forsworn Conspiracy in Markarth, and whether or not a quest like that suits my character or not.
This has also gotten me thinking about whether or not I should finish the Civil War before or after the MQ, not that that's a new topic....

Mr Forz

I'm helping. Mostly.
And yes the stacking titles is annoying even though that what it takes to finish the game so to say.

EDIT:I guess there aren't really many quests that I don't like but also get annoyed by, but then there are some fun ones too.

Don't worry I do know. Was just making examples. There are also quests that are a must like the Mind of Madness, I mean come on! It's freaking Sheogorath!

Tiaz Raydari

Champion of Khorne

Don't worry I do know. Was just making examples. There are also quests that are a must like the Mind of Madness, I mean come on! It's freaking Sheogorath!

And the fun continues on after that quest too, I mean its hard getting over turning somebody into a chicken with the wabbajack although it diminishes over time.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
On the topic of deadra, they are some quests I do avoid from time to time. Obviously the Molag Bol and Boethiah quest w8uldnt gennerally fit a certain character, although taking out a necromancer for Meridia on the same playthough may work out.

If your serious about keeping to your characters personality and not 100% Sure what your getting yourself into talkimg to certain npcs than I suggest either saving a lot b4 hand or maybe typing thier name into uesp so you know if that mission will suit your RP.

Vidarr

On the topic of deadra, they are some quests I do avoid from time to time. Obviously the Molag Bol and Boethiah quest w8uldnt gennerally fit a certain character, although taking out a necromancer for Meridia on the same playthough may work out.

If your serious about keeping to your characters personality and not 100% Sure what your getting yourself into talkimg to certain npcs than I suggest either saving a lot b4 hand or maybe typing thier name into uesp so you know if that mission will suit your RP.

Thanks for the advice man. I'm atm considering just letting the whole Forsworn Conspiracy thing disappear following my giving of Markarth to the Stormcloaks.
This is because I have issues with helping both Madanach or Thonar. I feel like my Skaal wouldn't get involved in that.
AT THE SAME TIME, I'm not a fan of the idea that Madanach could still be alive in Cidhna Mine when its controlled by the Stormcloaks, ready to continue following Thonar's manipulative orders...

It is a definitive conundrum - and any advice would be appreciated.

Wildroses

I don't like killing people who trust me, so I always avoid going near Boethiah's Sanctum after level 30 and I never ever read her book so I don't have to do her quest. I also loathe the Thieves Guild members, so I tend not to just tab out of Brynjolf's conversation when I first approaches me and ignore him forever after.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member

Thanks for the advice man. I'm atm considering just letting the whole Forsworn Conspiracy thing disappear following my giving of Markarth to the Stormcloaks.
This is because I have issues with helping both Madanach or Thonar. I feel like my Skaal wouldn't get involved in that.
AT THE SAME TIME, I'm not a fan of the idea that Madanach could still be alive in Cidhna Mine when its controlled by the Stormcloaks, ready to continue following Thonar's manipulative orders...

It is a definitive conundrum - and any advice would be appreciated.

I cant really lend too much advice as I still havent got the dragonborn dlc so I dont really no a lot about skaal behaviour, traditions, moral tendencies, etc.

However if you feel that your character wouldnt get involved in the forsworn conspiracy, than id leave madanach in the cells and let live. Sometimes its a good change NOT to be able to help or manipulate every1 how you see fit.

Khasrin

Fusozayiit
I always avoid "In My Time of Need" by stopping the conversation with the Alik'r before it ends up in my journal. I helped Saadia once, I helped Kematu once, and now it's just tedious (and the payout isn't that great). Of course then the Alik'r will stand there in Whiterun for ages, looking confused, but that's their problem.

Now that I've played it out on both sides a few times, I usually give the Civil War questlines a miss too. I'm very much into RPing with my characters as well, and most of them have no incentive to join either side or they're busy with more interesting things. :D Like mastering all of the schools of magic, or collecting daedric artifacts. Or staying at home, napping and making snowberry crostatas and catching up on their reading...

Manmangler

Well do you see the DB as "innocent"?
No, thats why I have usually avoided Darkbrotherhood. Thieves Guild first mission to get innocent to Jail(Fixed by unofficially for few days, not lifetime), usuall skip this(Even doing this, I stopped for collecting money. Worse if having ViljaMod, Vilja usually comment very loudly for ad deeds). Daedras kill certain innocent character, skipping these too. Thats why my achievements was missing.

Chadonraz

"Lights Out!" comes to mind. If I do that one, it's only because I'm sick and tired of Jaree-Ra repeating the same two or three lines over and over again every single time I'm in Solitude.Killing him and his equally annoying sister is way more enjoyable than it probably should.

Sometimes I avoid Eltrys (doable unless/until I go to the inn), too, because I don't like that mini questline. I always just kill Madanach and then escape on my own - but by doing that I'm helping Thonar. And I really, really can't stand him. Maybe I should try killing him, too, since he's not essential after Cidhna.

Last but not least, Brynjolf. Since there's no way to avoid him if I'm planning to spend even a single night at the Bee and Barb or shop at the market, I just B out of the dialogue the moment it starts. If done right, it won't even trigger the "Listen to Brynjolf's scheme" misc mission, plus Brynjolf will never bother try again.
Recently he hasn't even opened the dialogue, though. He'll just say the line referring to my level of wealth without starting a convo. It's really great, because then there's no way the stupid misc mission will appear. :D

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
"Lights Out!" comes to mind. If I do that one, it's only because I'm sick and tired of Jaree-Ra repeating the same two or three lines over and over again every single time I'm in Solitude.Killing him and his equally annoying sister is way more enjoyable than it probably should.

Sometimes I avoid Eltrys (doable unless/until I go to the inn), too, because I don't like that mini questline. I always just kill Madanach and then escape on my own - but by doing that I'm helping Thonar. And I really, really can't stand him. Maybe I should try killing him, too, since he's not essential after Cidhna.

Last but not least, Brynjolf. Since there's no way to avoid him if I'm planning to spend even a single night at the Bee and Barb or shop at the market, I just B out of the dialogue the moment it starts. If done right, it won't even trigger the "Listen to Brynjolf's scheme" misc mission, plus Brynjolf will never bother try again.
Recently he hasn't even opened the dialogue, though. He'll just say the line referring to my level of wealth without starting a convo. It's really great, because then there's no way the stupid misc mission will appear. :D

Is their anyway to get freekin jaree ra off your back?
im the thane of solitude, every1 else nos and loves me In solitude, im not a stranger for f*** sake! Wish i could clip him. Even my lovely character could justify murdering him in the middle of the street...

Chadonraz

Is their anyway to get freekin jaree ra off your back?
im the thane of solitude, every1 else nos and loves me In solitude, im not a stranger for f*** sake! Wish i could clip him. Even my lovely character could justify murdering him in the middle of the street...

The only way to shut him up/get rid of him is to do his quest. You can't just kill him in Solitude because he's essential, for some reason I can't begin to understand.

Vidarr

I get what you're saying.
Really - as far as the Forsworn Conspiracy is concerned - it's down to deciding what I think is best in the long run. I'm trying to decide between doing the quest and killing Madanach OR pursuing civil war and giving Markarth to Stormcloaks (failing/removing said quest).

Also, what you said about Brynjolf - I always do a similar but slightly different thing.
With all my characters I wait until 'A Cornered Rat' to travel to Riften (or atleast allow myself to be confronted by Brynjolf).
Then, he talks to you and suggests that you hear him out - giving you the objective as part of the quest rather than a misc objective.
After that, I go and talk to the Argonians in the Bee & Barb - thus effectively skipping Brynjolf's idea.
This ends up with me completing the quest, and Brynjolf never bothers me again.

He doesn't even walk up to me at all. He just stands at his stall spewing about the Falmer-Blood elixir.

Chadonraz

Also, what you said about Brynjolf - I always do a similar but slightly different thing.
With all my characters I wait until 'A Cornered Rat' to travel to Riften (or atleast allow myself to be confronted by Brynjolf).
Then, he talks to you and suggests that you hear him out - giving you the objective as part of the quest rather than a misc objective.
After that, I go and talk to the Argonians in the Bee & Barb - thus effectively skipping Brynjolf's idea.

He doesn't even walk up to me at all. He just stands at his stall spewing about the Falmer-Blood elixir.

So the MQ overrides "A Chance Arrangement"? Awesome. :D

Vidarr

So the MQ overrides "A Chance Arrangement"? Awesome. :D

Yeah. During 'A Cornered Rat', you are supposed to contact Brynjolf and do the whole 'joining the thieves guild' in order to discover Esbern's location.

Even though this would usually begin as a misc quest - if you pursue it AS PART of 'A Cornered Rat', it is included as part of the quest's objectives. And so, when you decide not to go Brynjolf's route, and find out Esbern's location otherwise, the entry for 'hearing Brynjolf's offer' disappears along with the completed quest.

The key is, it is important that you actually speak to Brynjolf before going to Keereva. As soon as he makes his case to you, he will never bring it up again (and will stop following you around the market).

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts