Question for PS3/Xbox/Console users..

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Hargood

Defender of Helpless Kittens
First off, I know I take some silly jabs.. just joking around how I can do wild things on a PC when you aren't able to.. .But Honestly its all in fun.

Infact, (And this is part of my question) I like the idea of Skyrim being on a Console for people. Alot of interesting people are even talking about it because it's a console game..

..but in that, with my "Iz Gotz MODS" jabs being a Jerk, I kind of Feel bad and wish Console users could maybe get alittle more content since Bethesda and Sony call mods "Content" when it comes to "Who gets the next DLC first".

Now, Mods do not make the game in anyway. There are great things people produce but the Game is fun and playable without them, and Mod's only do so much.. That being Said...........

..MY QUESTION To you IS:

Would you like it if you could download Mods to your Console via the "Steam Network"?

This being "Mods the Amatures have created on their PC's"

You could't "Create Mods" of course.. as well as you would be subjected to Mods being "What-ever-the-Modder-Wants-to-do-with it" ..but You would be able to use them, and use what you want to.

Would that be something you would subscribe into? (eer that meaning:"Would you be interested) Is it something you thought about?

I would LOVE that. I would figuratively throw all of my money at whoever was responsible for making that happen. But is anything like that really even slightly possible? Who cares? I can dream, can't I? :D

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
(360 player) I wouldn't mind it... but there are so many mods out there that just bug up your game, I'd be hesitant to try them. It's possible that mods created could also muck up Official DLC, if an essential NPC was killed for example.

The consoles would need access to the ironically named "console" commands... Honestly, I don't mind just playing the vanilla "official" stuff, at least I know that what I'm playing is what the developers approved and intended... helps me give advice too as my game is, at minimum, just like everyone else's.

SGT_Sky

Silence, My Brother
that would be fluffing amazing. probably never happen, but it would be awesome. I would pay for it. and I am dual wielding Skyrims (PC and PS3)

Hargood

I would LOVE that. I would figuratively throw all of my money at whoever was responsible for making that happen. But is anything like that really even slightly possible? Who cares? I can dream, can't I? :D

You know what.. If the Console can hold "Memory".."Can Access the Internet" and the content is "Able to be used by the console".. The Answer is yes. Yes it can.

There are probably 20 billion diffrent policies to go thru of people trying to shut the idea down to keep those policies, but yep, I think it would be doable.

The only problem would be the backing. Not alot of Games really have that "Cross content" type of filler from mods that are very publlic as Bethesda does with their games. So to implement it just for.. and only for Skyrim, might not seem so "Money Making" to some of the companies involved.

As well Im sure a few PC companies might not want that tech to be available to everyone across the bored... (but I don't really know, or can see who that would be.. but someone always pops up with these sorts of things).

But.. YES.. If you are able to get a "DLC" in the Future, Downloading Anything to your console that is compatible is possible tech wise! "Steam is so PRO at doing this type of thing!"

I would give the argument that with each DLC put out, it would give more things to work with as long as the future DLC isn't just one overblown mechanic that doesn't bring much ..like say..Dragon Mounts (Don't hurt me TDT.. I kid, I kid!)

Stuff that brings "New Statics" "New Creatures" "New Buildings" "New Items". It's not uncommon to find Modders using this new stuff that comes out and saying "This Mod Requires: "Dawnguard" to work"... I would think that would promote the DLC's for both PC and Console if both could use mods.

I honestly see a "Cross" between Console and PC content is possible where Console players could use Mod's made from PC users. I won't happen, but if Console Users maybe gave a good "Shake of the Tree" maybe a bit of Thought from the Console companies might look into it.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
Honestly, I don't mind not having mods. Sometime, while playing a game such as this, all you need is a little imagination.

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist
I would love to be able to mod for 360, and I'm feeling rather ambitious at the moment so I'm gonna look into this and follow possible paths

Hargood

(360 player) I wouldn't mind it... but there are so many mods out there that just bug up your game, I'd be hesitant to try them. It's possible that mods created could also muck up Official DLC, if an essential NPC was killed for example.

The consoles would need access to the ironically named "console" commands... Honestly, I don't mind just playing the vanilla "official" stuff, at least I know that what I'm playing is what the developers approved and intended... helps me give advice too as my game is, at minimum, just like everyone else's.
Very Very True.....
Honestly, I don't mind not having mods. Sometime, while playing a game such as this, all you need is a little imagination.
and Very Very true.

Truth is, Mods are "ok". They don't really make the game what it is.

I honestly have been agianst mods in the past. I can't tell you how many time I've downloaded a Texture mod in Oblivion, just to have something weird happen ...like the thing was made by a 13 year old who didn't realize that unique NPC's meshes were not like the other characters... and you end up getting "Emperor Uriel Septim with Argonian boobs".

But the system has gotten smarter. So Smarter that Steam hosts them outside other website's. IF everything was Green Flagged, The only problem is that you couldn't get "The Really Cool Stuff Steam won't Host" ...Like the Stuff on Nexxus.

PelagiusIV

This would be amazing if it was ever done. I'm a 360 player and I still go on Nexus from time to time just to see what kind of mods are coming out. I agree that mods don't "Make the game", but I would love to have access to some of the outfits and weapons that I've seen. Just little things like that would really help me role play better and come up with new and different characters.

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr

Im with you. I don't even care to tell you the truth. I play the game as it was designed by the developers. And I like it.

Doomy

No, i ruined morrowwind by tarting about with mods, never again

Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk 2

CreationKit

Mods on console essentially couldn't work - without I believe each mod going through some standardized service (Like Steamworks) and being checked to make sure they work dont contain malware to fluff up your console, and so forth. So essentially I dont see it happening, it would just be a pain in the ass.

Now if someone figures out how to do it anyways on console (softmodding, what not) then I say go for it! So many mods for Skyrim it's mindboggling, you guys are missing out on console

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
Actually Mods on consoles do work as it's been done many times in the past with various games. But Mods on Consoles is not viable due to the fact that there are only 4 buttons & 2 bumpers that you can use, whereas a Computer's Keyboard has a multitude of buttons that can be used.

The biggest problem with Mods on Consoles is that both Microsoft & Sony will ban a User from their respective networks if they use a Mod online, unless it's an approved Mod from a respected manufacturer & they (Microsoft & Sony ) can make money out of it.

Lanconite

Tonight we dine in Hell.
If this were possible, I wouldn't care either way. I'm just fine without Mods, and not having them doesn't make the game any better or worse. I mean, it's Skyrim. It's epic with or without Mods.

Drewski

Relaxing on Revis Island, with Revis and Holmes :(
I'd love folks to write mods for the XBOX.

The main reason I didn't get it for the PC, is that I'd start modding heavily myself, and be good at it :D But this takes up a hideous amount of real life, and I'm trying to give up (or cut down) on modding PC games, because I already spend a silly amount of my life doing it ;)

But well tested Mods other have written, yes please :cool:

Btw, for a game that has no online play whatsoever, I'm trying to come up with a valid reason for McShaft and SunnyD caring, but I'm sure they'd invent some for you...(I suppose it uses their bandwidth and storage space)

Train

Is that all you got?!
To blow the OP's mind, I have both the PC version and 360 version, but I only ever play the game on 360, the PC is used to get certain things from it like pictures. I just prefer console, I was raised with consoles, and I'll die with them. ;)

I wouldn't be too excited about consoles getting mods, many of them, as you well know, are rather annoying and silly. There's only a handful that are decent, and I do mean decent, not good. The best ones are those that actually expand the game, but for the most part those spend a lot of time unfinished, and they generally never get all the bugs worked out (or at least I wouldn't think so). The problem with mods is that a person is making them who isn't being paid to do so.

All that being said, the real reasons why mods won't ever be introduced is: the one making them would have to worry about the cross-platform issues. It will make it easier to hack consoles through such mods, which we all know how much Microsoft and Sony hate that. Mature content would be accessible to everyone now.

[rant]
That last one holds the biggest issue of all, heaven forbid if a 15 year old was able to download a mod that showed genitals or sexual acts. Despite the fact that just about everyone from ages 10 to 18 go to extreme length to get their hands on mature content...speaking from experience...:oops: It doesn't matter, people are people, and they're all ashamed of their sexuality, so they must do all they can to shield their children from it. I say we're not raising children to be children, but adults...then someone who has children tells me "well, you've never had children, you don't know". :rolleyes: [/rant]

I think it would be good, but I'm just not sure how many I'd actually download, if any. To some extent, mods (any mod, the idea of modding itself) breaks realism for me.

CreationKit

Actually Mods on consoles do work as it's been done many times in the past with various games. But Mods on Consoles is not viable due to the fact that there are only 4 buttons & 2 bumpers that you can use, whereas a Computer's Keyboard has a multitude of buttons that can be used.

The biggest problem with Mods on Consoles is that both Microsoft & Sony will ban a User from their respective networks if they use a Mod online, unless it's an approved Mod from a respected manufacturer & they (Microsoft & Sony ) can make money out of it.
I dont know if your trolling or what - but that is NOT the reason why it doesn't work on console.

Like I said, modding is not really meant for console unless you break some rules. The biggest problem you listed isn't the biggest problem , but is one of them. Console is close ended - you get what you get and thats it. Thats a benefit of playing on PC, you can expand and bring games to new heights

OldLace

researcher of all the things
Actually, I remember reading something about how it is possible (in a theoretical way) for mods to be used on console, but due to copyright(?) and whatever such legal issues, you cannot download unlicensed content onto your ps3, wii, or 360. Easy enough to understand, since after all, if you can download mods on your console what in the hell is stopping you from easily obtaining free games, or very racy mods etc?

I remember reading about that somewhere... I believe it was one of the Bethesda spokespersons (or what have you) that brought it up, just as a random sentence without much weight. I would do more research, but I've already put off my final project enough and it's due tomorrow. Haha.

The Reele Deele

picture is temp
If it wouldn't affect game performance, I would love to get some of the texture and lighting/general gfx improvements I've seen.

Also, would love to at least be able to character edit on PS3 to have the ability to test out some builds/perks before putting in the time it would take to "earn" them.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts