Question about Tiber Septim

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Thorn

In the Hist we trust
Ok so Tiber Septim ortherwise known as Talos, which means Storm-Crown, was a Nord right? So how then was his brother Agnorith Septim an Imperial?

This is really confusing to me lore-wise

rittz

To be honest, I don't think his heritage is specifically mentioned. He lived in High Rock, but he fought for the Nords against the Reachmen (mostly, if not all, Bretons I think). I feel that it's strongly suggested that he was a Nord who simply lived in High Rock. He could have been a Breton who thought the Nords had the right of it. He could have been Imperial. Read the wiki, it's interesting to get a better comprehension of the lore, even if it doesn't concisely answer this specific question.

Thorn

In the Hist we trust
Yes I've heard that he was born in High Rock, but I've also heard that he was born in Atmora. Not only that but that he was the last to come from Atmora. So I wonder which account is correct.

Edit: Also it states in the Arcturian Heresy that he was from an island of High Rock, but his name was Hjalti Early-Beard, very much a Nord name

PrisonerLizzie

Ok then, so Heimskr says he is Nordic...so is the rest of his family not?
found this explination on another forum discussing a similar topic:

Mattheau
Posted 11/29/2011 2:42:12 AM
The Imperials originally were Nords, but their bloodline was separated for so long from the Nords that they no longer have the same characteristics. All Imperials, if you go back far enough, are Nords, but they no longer have the Nordic characteristics as part of their bloodlines.

It is literally the exact same reason there is a distinction between Altmer, Bosmer, Dunmer, and Orcs. All of them originally were Aldmer if you go back far enough, but the individual groups were separated for so long they became distinctive races with unique enough characteristics to be readily distinguishable from one another.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Ok so Tiber Septim ortherwise known as Talos, which means Storm-Crown, was a Nord right? So how then was his brother Agnorith Septim an Imperial?
What is your basis for asserting Agnorith was an Imperial? The only time he's mentioned is in the book Brief History of the Empire, Part I and it makes no reference to his race.

The Arcturian Heresy directly conflicts with many other lore sources on a number of subjects and the background of Tiber Septim recognized by the Empire is that contained in the Pocket Guide to the Empire, and is the basis for the Orthodoxy section of the Lore article PrisonerLizzie cited. Basically it's up to you to decide which version is true but the majority belief of the people of Tamriel is in the orthodoxy.
Mattheau
Posted 11/29/2011 2:42:12 AM
The Imperials originally were Nords, but their bloodline was separated for so long from the Nords that they no longer have the same characteristics. All Imperials, if you go back far enough, are Nords, but they no longer have the Nordic characteristics as part of their bloodlines.
This is simply incorrect. The Imperials are not descended from Nords. Like the Nords and Bretons they're descended from the Nedes, the original proto-humans of Tamriel. While Before the Ages of Man equates the term Nedic People to Nords it's subsequently been directly refuted in the Elder Scrolls Universe timeline by Frontier, Conquest, Accommodation, a Social History of Cyrodiil and the Pocket Guide to the Empire, 3rd Edition recognizes the authority of the latter over the former.

Even if one were to incorrectly believe that Nedes is simply another word for Nords, Mattheau's explanation makes absolutely no sense because the schism that separated the Imperial race from the Nordic race would have occurred thousands of years before Tiber Septim and Agnorith Septim were born.

One possible explanation if Agnorith in fact was an Imperial is that their parents were of different races. Part of the lore of the Elder Scrolls Universe is that the mating of the current different races doesn't result in hybrids but rather the race of either parent so one parent could have been Nord and the other Imperial. However, unless and until the OP cites an actual lore source for the notion that Agnorith was an Imperial I'll assume that he was a Nord.

Thorn

In the Hist we trust
I think the only reason I thought of Agnorith is because I saw his race on the wiki as Imperial, which really made me think. And another thing I was thinking is, what about the Septim dynasty. If it was founded by Tiber Septim, does that make his successors Nords?

Dagmar

I think the only reason I thought of Agnorith is because I saw his race on the wiki as Imperial..?
If you're talking about this wiki it's simply wrong. That website is highly unreliable when it comes to lore and is filled with misinformation and inappropriate and inaccurate content when it comes to lore. The best online resource for lore is probably the Imperial Library website followed by the Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages but ultimately, if there's no cite to either documents, dialogues or events that can be found in the games or other media Bethesda has adopted as canon for anything asserted anywhere on the internet about the Elder Scrolls lore you should hold it suspect.

Thorn

In the Hist we trust
I am quite skeptical of most things I find on any wiki, so I thought the best way to find out the truth is to post a thread on the forum. There seems to be a very nice collection of Lore-Masters here, maybe one day I will be one myself

Dagmar

If it was founded by Tiber Septim, does that make his successors Nords?
No. Refer to my post above about children with parents of different races. Some of the Septim line were descended from parents of different races. For example, Martin Septim from the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is an Imperial.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts